Best toilet options?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidspolitano

Reaction score
I am new to the vandweller ways and I am working on making up some ideas for how I want to get everything set up and one thing I know for sure is I want to have a toilet now it doesn't have to be functional really (that would be very cool thought if possible?) But if not what seems to work best as far as having a toilet seat somehow above a bucket? What works best for everyone or what are some ideas you have or have heard?<br>

I recommend a cheap cassette toilet. &nbsp;I bought one on-line for $56.00 bucks. &nbsp;It has a water holding compartment you can flush and a waste compartment that holds about 5 gallons of waste until you are ready to dump it in an appropriate spot (like a toilet at a rest stop). &nbsp; The reason I recommend a cassette toilet is that it will not stink up your van in the event you need to go to the bathroom and are not in an area where you can dump your toilet like in an urban area and you are using a bucket. &nbsp;A cassette toilet will hold the waste nicely until you are in a situation to dump the contents! &nbsp;I can't find the web address to the one I purchased, I will keep looking but you can always do a google search for "cassette toilet for sale" and lots of things pop-up.<div>-AK</div>

<p style="margin: 0px;">Good morning,</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">You will find a lot of great information here but it's all up to your needs.&nbsp; For that reason, I would ask a couple of questions before making a recommendation.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">1)&nbsp; Do you camp in the city?&nbsp; </p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">2)&nbsp; Do you have a good vent to the outside?</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">3)&nbsp; Are you camping alone?</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">4)&nbsp; Do you plan to use the toilet frequently for #2?</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;"><br>The reason I asked these questions is that they can greatly influence your selection and cost.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">I camp mostly in the city and toilets are readily available.&nbsp; Most of the rural campgrounds&nbsp;also have toilets.&nbsp; For that reason, I went with more of an emergency crapper rather than a chemical toiddy.&nbsp; Since I only camp alone, a simple solution works best and was cheapest.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">I bought the luggable loo seat which you can find&nbsp;on Amazon.&nbsp; It just snaps on&nbsp;a Lowe's 5 gallon bucket (which is funny 'cause I work at Home Depot and can "crap on the competition"...)&nbsp; Then I just use a trash bag or heavy duty shopping bag from the Menards home improvement center for&nbsp;a liner.&nbsp; It is filled partway with kitty litter.&nbsp; You just do your duty, perform a ""shake-n-bake", and throw the bag away.&nbsp; I keep it pre-loaded and ready at all times.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">This works great for me but depending on how and where you camp it might not be a good solution.&nbsp; It can also be a little stinky so I&nbsp;frequenty use the public toilets which are plentiful around here.&nbsp; If&nbsp;you are camping&nbsp;in certain areas, it might not be feasible to&nbsp;discard bags of&nbsp;feces.&nbsp; Depending on how often you have to poop and if you can do it outside the&nbsp;vehicle&nbsp;(less stinky), this might be a viable option...&nbsp; It's definitely a personal decision that needs to be made to suit what works best for you.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">Brad</p><p style="margin: 0px;"><a href="http://vantrekker.blogspot.com/" target=_blank>http://vantrekker.blogspot.com/</a></p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p>

You are getting good advice!! I use a 5 gallon bucket that I line with two tall kitchen garbage bags. Only solids go in it. I wrap the waste in the bags and throw it in the trash. That may be illegal, but who will ever know? For a seat on top of the Bucket, I went to home Depot and bought pipe insulation and taped it around the top. Cost less than $5 and I've been using it comfortably for 4 years. Go to this page and scroll down for pictures of my toilet. Bob<br>http://cheapgreenrvliving.com/Toilet.html <br>

I use the loo for number two, then I put some kittly litter over it! Smells much better, discard in dumpsters,&nbsp;especially&nbsp;if in city.<div><br></div><div>I live in frozen Canada, so using the bio solutions with water is out of the question right now in Feb, kitty litter is the best. Spring Summer Fall, I might use my other toilet, the one with the chemical flusher, then dispose of it differently, then again, might just keep using the kittly litter.</div>

<P>Buy cheap toilet seat. (Got a wooden one at HDepot for less than $10.) Turn it upside down. Turn 5 gallon bucket upside down on seat. Center it. Make marks or circle. Glue any kind of wood spacers "outside" line/marks. Bags in bucket. Kitty litter and/or cedar shavings. (Optional) Place fitted seat on top. Voila. Won't slide around. Most difficult place to dispose of bags is in wilderness with no trash bins around. Gas stations, parks, some retail lots all&nbsp; take "diapers" in their trash cans, so why not sealed bags? </P>

when i was working on a property i had with no electric, i took an old plastic lawn chair and used dremmel tool to cut hole in seat. put bucket under it. took can of that spray foam and sprayed in circle around the seat. let dry. worked fine. am i cheap or what?<br>i used leaves in the bucket. kitty litter is heavy and will not compost. its clay for the most part. i never had an issue with smell. i did get a 5$ jug of RV septic treatment from walmart and poured a couple ounces in it just for good measure. <br>emptied the bucket when full into my outside compost hole. makes great fertilizer. i usually let it sit several months, to over the winter and get rained and snowed on.<br>once i had to quit working at the property and forgot about the potty. a month later i went to check it and there was no smell and it was all gone. had composted in the bucket with the leaves. <br><br>

me too. i've used this in my compost pile for many years. makes the best fertilizer. humanure book suggests leave set in pile for a year. but i never did. few months for sure. over the winter even better. never had any problems.<br>

&nbsp;I've got one of them 'cassette' toilets and, for the most part, use it for taking a dump. If I just have to take a leak it goes into a jug. This gives me convenience and I only have to dump the toilet every 2 weeks or so.. and it can be into a regular toilet or sani-dump.&nbsp; I don't use the nasty chemicals in my toilet (enzymes and bio instead), so feel no qualms about dumping into Forest Service johns. ..Willy.<br>

Despite my van having a toilet in it, I plan to mostly use public restrooms as much as possible to save having to dump the toilet. It's a Thetford recirculating one so it doesn't have a great deal of capacity anyway. Plus the cost of chemicals to keep it maintained.<br>

<span style="font-family: 'times new roman', times; font-size: medium; color: #0000ff;">I use a 5 gal Home depot bucket $2.78, built a box around it &amp; used a regular toilet seat, I also installed a 3" bilge fan 135 cfm that I turn on when I sit down, so you get a nice cool downdraft. To cover the # 1 or 2 you can use pied-moss or fresh sawdust from trees not cabinets. ZERO SMELL EVER !! If you don't pee into it too much, it can last for 3-4 weeks until full.</span><br /><br /><br /><span style="font-family: 'times new roman', times; font-size: medium; color: #ff0000;"><a href="http://overthetopcargotrailer.blogspot.com/">http://overthetopcargotrailer.blogspot.com/</a></span>

Not all butts are worthy to sit on that throne!<br />Rae

I have a porta potti but am yet to use it. Had it over a year. The liquid is still inside sloshing around, unused.&nbsp;<br />Water is still in the tank --just in case.<br /><br />The reason I never used it is two fold:<br /><br />one, I can see it would be a pain to clean up... especially since there isn't enough water pressure to hose down all the feces that might touch the upper portion. Also, it would be a pain to clean the sealing thingie which I would assume would also get dirty... so naah, only maybe if there is a genuine emergency.<br /><br />two, there's plenty of toilets everywhere so I need not worry. I now pee just opening my van doors (I park with the back towards grassy private areas or bushes to accomplish this).<br /><br />I will want to invest in a good bucket one of these days, though...

My bus has a small ( 2gal) porta pottie from Coleman. Was about $30 4-5 years ago . Was the only way I could get my wife to boondocks with me at the time. ( she has since "learned" lol, but still uses it more than I do. My bus was originally built for me to work out of town with, and sometimes you just gotta go, wheather you are dirty and muddy, or if the house is locked, or in really close neighborhoods. Once you get used to it, cleaning it is no big deal.
My travel trailer still has the 1968 thetford recirc potty it same with, though the recirc pump went bad at some point. I ran a tube to the fresh water pump so it truely flushes now. Holds 8-9 gal, so good for a long weekend for two, or about 1 1/2-2 weeks for just me. When Trish started jogging,and hiking with me, I convinced her to order a "lady J", but that's a whole nuther thread...