Best refrigeration methods

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UptownSport said:
Saw this and couldn't stop laughing!

You need to get 300-400w of solar, buy a Morningstar controller, some really nice AGMs, then get someone to install it all for you to run your 12v fridge

That'll keep your hot dogs cold!

After reading about all the hassles with every type of mobile refrigeration, I've decided on
(1) LIVE WITHOUT IT: 
Life will be more pleasant without the related worries and problems.
Already I've been practicing eating without refrigeration, step by step, so I'll know what I'm doing when I take off in the van.
Here are two great articles about living without:
Living without a Refrigerator – It Can Be Done! and How to Live Without a Fridge

For starters, powdered egg-white is a complete and easy-to digest protein. 
And to be really healthy, get the supplement  Vital Reds.

I believe no processed foods, especially "supplements"

eating mostly fresh fruit & veg, homemade meals,

is the way to be healthy.

So if driving to decent shopping every 3-4 days is practical and affordable, yes no fridge required.

Maybe once a week for some, but not me.

well for me it was a big hassle until I got a 12v fridge. I tried everything, sure wish I would have gone with a 12v to begin with I would be dollars ahead. I don't refrigerate eggs anyway. highdesertranger

John61CT said:
I believe no processed foods, especially "supplements",
eating mostly fresh fruit & veg, homemade meals
is the way to be healthy.

Extremely good point John, especially about needing "FRESH".
For nothing is more important than the health of the body you're nomading in.

I'm not sure how I'll manage that yet. Cabbage, potatoes, citrus fruits, etc. have a very long shelf life.
And what about growing bean and other sprouts?

Anyone have more suggestions for unrefrigerated "fresh"?

Folks, these are great points, but they really are off-topic. The question is what is the best refrigeration, and saying no refrigeration is okay, but then hijacking the thread and turning it into a list of foods that don’t need refrigeration is not.

Easy problem to solve!! Go start your own thread about no-refrigeration living. You’ll get lots of on-topic posts on it and we will all benefit.

I don't see how it is off topic, if "no refrigeration" is one of the choices the original poster (CosmickGold) asked about.  Besides the fact that "no refrigeration" is what he is choosing, and then asked for more ideas on it.  I'm a bit confused here....

I'd try and find as much info as possible on how much propane it'll use. Look at it's costs over time.

I'm leaning heavily towards solar to be more independent for longer periods of time.

Thank you, Rainier70, for defending me.  I do feel emotional appreciation for that.

But I believe akrvbob is 100% correct.  I have hijacked my own thread, changing it from a discussion of what kind of refrigerator, to what kind of foods!  (Not the same thing)  So I'll stop that.

akrvbob 's suggestion to create a thread about healthy foods requiring no refrigeration, is the perfect solution.
I'll do that if I need to ask more questions about it.

OOOPS, sorry Cosmicgold, I didn’t remember it was your thread, when it is your thread you can change it any way you want.

The main reason we are so tough on hijacking threads is it is rude to the original poster. If you took the time to ask a question/comment, it’s rude to steal it away from you. But, if you want it to evolve and change, that is your choice.

But there is another important reason: the archives of the forum are extremely helpful, and when people come here we want them to be able to search and find what they want. If a thread changes in the middle, how do you search on that?

If you are interested in non-refrigerated foods, how likely are you to go look at a thread titled, “Best Refrigeration Methods?”

How much more likely is it if you start a new thread titled “non-refrigerated foods” or “Foods that Don’t Need Refrigeration”?

The rules of the forum revolve around being as helpful and polite to as many people as possible.

But, this is your thread and you can do whatever you want with it.