Best place to rent an RV for Quartzite?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adventuregurl

Reaction score
I hope this is the right section to post this. I am considering renting an RV - probably b class - to attend Deborah Dickenson's Rice Ranch event, Dec. 8th through 12th in Quartzite. I'm coming from the Verde valley area of AZ and want to try it out to see how much I like RVing. I've always though I would but have not been sure enough to pull the trigger.

Any idea of the most reasonable place to rent it from?

Thank you in advance!

Start with Offerup and Craigslist. The commercial places will rape you for $1 per mile on top of the rental fees.

Some people buy one cheap, use it, then resell it.

Thank you! If I rent one in Quartzite (if that's possible) there won't be many miles on it.

I just need it for 5 days so buying one seems rather crazy :)

The last time I checked on RV rental prices (a few years ago) it seemed they charged about the same as hotel accommodations for a family of four, since that's what they imagine they're providing.

But rather than rely on our info, goggle around, check actual prices, read Yelp reviews, etc.

Maybe I'll get a hotel but I really want to see if I like RVing, I don't think you can know until you try it.

The best RV is your own RV. You will have your stuff organized in it, and everything ready to go. I love jumping in the van and taking off for one of my favorite spots. 

Since it sounds like you are determined to rent, why not rent a van and pack your stuff in bins? easy to load and unload, and you can stay organized on an economical budget. Check out Bob's video on how to put a cot or bunk in a van. If you have to get any additional camping gear, that is just a bonus to have some new gear to play with on your trip.    ~crofter

This is the AirBNB of RV rentals. Mostly individuals or sometimes very small rental fleets of RVs. It is indeed set up very much like AirBNB but instead of sticks and bricks you can rent their RV for a day, weekend, week or even a month.

https://www.outdoorsy.com/

I second the suggestion to rent a van for your 5 days.

RV rentals are ridiculously expensive, and you could get a similar experience with a van.

If you have not RV’d before, there is a learning curve to the systems within, which may detract from your enjoyment of such a short trip.

Good luck!

Do be aware there is likely to be a cleaning fee required as part of the rental but it is not quoted as part of the daily rental fee.

Going out into the desert can bring in a considerable amount of dust that gets into every crevice inside of an RV. While the cleaning fees might seem high you need to take that into account as it can take quite a lot of hours to clean up a van that has been to events such as the RTR or Burning Man or even just ordinary BLM camping in the desert. Much depends on the weather conditions, if it is calm it won't take as long, if it is windy then the cleaning time can be considerable.

maki2 said:
This is the AirBNB of RV rentals.....https://www.outdoorsy.com/
My ride (Promaster conversion van) is $185 per night in there. Who knew I had such a pricey lifestyle?   ~crofter

Outdoorsy could be fun because they have different types and costs of RV rentals. The RVs are owned by people so you are renting from the owner. That could be a lot of fun. I don't own an RV I only rent at this point. I live in Hawaii so renting is simply easier than owning a small RV on the mainland.

i would say if you are thinking about RVing, then rent an RV. if thinking about "van life" then rent a van. i would also try to rent it close to your home town so you get the experience of traveling to the destination. not just a short drive and spending a few nights in it. it might cost a fewmore $$$ for the mileage but a lot cheaper then buying something you end up not wanting to dive

maki2 said:
This is the AirBNB of RV rentals. Mostly individuals or sometimes very small rental fleets of RVs. It is indeed set up very much like AirBNB but instead of sticks and bricks you can rent their RV for a day, weekend, week or even a month.

https://www.outdoorsy.com/
This is so helpful, thank you :) !

I’d just car camp.  Maybe with a tent, air mattress, and sleeping bag.  I used to do a lot of car camping in my Prius.  I wouldn’t want to spend a lot of money for anything unless it was permanent and long term.

mpruet, it's going down into the 40's, I think I'd freeze to death...I'm a bit of a baby. Plus I have to pee in the night and I don't have ANY equipment. I'd need time to prepare.

I might get a hotel!  :blush:

Renting has been my first option whenever I want to go on vacations with my family. It is quite easy to experience different campers from time to time rather than restricting to only one type of camper. Mostly I use “Outdoorsy” or RV-share for renting purposes and they have not disappointed me so far. You can check out their websites for further information.