Best mifi hotspot for boondocking YouTube creator

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7wanders

Reaction score
I'm a YouTube creator, so I do a lot of uploading of HD video files. normally I'm using 30-50 gig of data just uploading each month. I also do a lot of boondocking in the western states.

currently I have an unlimited data hotspot from PCs4People (sprint network). the hotspot is fantastic for cities where I have a signal, but extremely lacking when boondocking.

because the market changes so often, I'm looking for solutions for current offerings

I'm been researching NetBuddy, but as I understand it, it uses AT&T which doesn't seem to have coverage in some areas (like the remote area east of Parker where Jamie's Van Build Party takes place)

I've also been looking into StraightTalk which I believe uses both Verizon and AT&T, but appears the hotpots are limited in data and the phone doesn't appear to work with as a hotspot (unless you hack them which means you may be shutdown by the network admin). 

I cringe of the idea of a Verizon contract. I was quoted $90/m just for a mifi verizon hotspot with unlimited data. this seems crazy high given my current Sprint hotspot is $10/month.

are there other BUDGET solutions for Verizon or AT&T that I'm not aware of?

The better the geographic coverage the pricier the service.

Either stay in spots where your service reaches, or plan to use at least 2 carriers, 3 is better.

Sprint is the worst for geographic coverage.

$100 a month is a good rate, if you are actually using over 50GB and need it to maintain high speeds.

Nothing uses **both** VZW and ATT, you need to choose the right SIM when you sign up.

HowardForums is the best place to ask, don't set your price expectations too low, just ask for the **relatively** cheaper deals going ATM

MVNOs and "business resellers"

that cover the GB volume & network you want.

All the companies you buy service from, provide billing, CS etc, but do not own their own towers, just lease the actual voice/data services from the four "mothership" companies.

So TracFone, Net10, PagePlus etc

Charter "Spectrum Mobile" recently promoting a lot, also Comcast's "Xfinity Mobile", both using Verizon towers.

Then you have the Resellers channel, do not try to market as if they are the network provider, like 4G Antenna Shop, pretends to only be for business accounts

highdesertranger said:
I am stupid,  what is a MVNO?  highdesertranger

John loves his alphabet soup :p ...sometimes I have no idea what he is referring to either. But this one is easy, MVNO is Mobile Virtual Network Operator.

Like TracPhone, Cricket Wireless, FreedomPop, Virgin Mobile, Net10 Wirelss, StraightTalk, plus dozens of others. They don't actually go out and build towers, they just lease or buy cellular and data service from AT&T, Srpint, T-Mobile, etc, huge blocks of minutes or gigabytes, then resell it at retail to buyers of their MVNO phones. Most of these are 'pre-paid' services, where you load up minutes or gigabytes before you use them.

This was the situation with the Verizon $5 unlimited deal that went south.

MVNO's don't roam like the native providers do. The major providers have deals where they lease from private tower operators. This is why they cost more. So you could be in a place where someone with native Verizon works and if you have like Straight Talk it won't. There is a reason the major carriers cost more because they work in more places as they do roam. If data is important for a job or whatever else, get a plan from a major player or stay in places that support your cheaper service. YMMV

Snipped....
7wanders said:
I'm a YouTube creator, so normally I'm using 30-50 gig of data just uploading each month.
currently I have an unlimited data hotspot from PCs4People (sprint network).
I cringe of the idea of a Verizon contract. I was quoted $90/m just for a mifi verizon hotspot with unlimited data. this seems crazy high given my current Sprint hotspot is $10/month.

are there other BUDGET solutions for Verizon or AT&T that I'm not aware of?

Since you qualify and are using Gov subsidized (cept for the $10) free Gigs then I can't imagine finding anything close to that. But I'm in if you can.

My Verizon Jetpack contract is $110 a month for 24G of 4G, with a rollover to the following month of anything unused. Verizon, a weboost and a directional antenna (Thanks JiminDenver) does manage a very usable signal East of the Mississippi as towers are numerous. I do get throttled in and around big cities where there is competition with Business for tower signal. (my terminology)
You mention your U-tube activity. It might be worth checking prices for a Business application. I don't think VZ offers bargains but AT&T might.

Just my ol 2¢

I was out of Parker about 8 miles on 62 and had great service from all four carriers. Then again I had a booster and directional antenna too. Make sure you turn on ROAMING on the PCs4people hotspot in its settings.

I think Visual even with its limitations would be considered the least expensive Verizon solution at the time. The AT&T tablet/ipad unlimited for $30 a month should have roaming and all of the perks. Nothing beats PCs for people for Sprint unless you got on the free year of service for switching. I am not even up to date for TMO except to know that 4gas has been changing their plans.

thanks for the replies and suggestions so far.

Jim, you comment "I think Visual even with its limitations would be considered the least expensive Verizon solution at the time."

I'm not familiar with "Visual" as a service and Google isn't helping me find the company or service plans. Is that a typo or could you elaborate on how to find their plans? 

ps. I did purchase the refurb weeboost you had recommended with the omni-directional antenna but didn't turn on the roaming feature you mention. I'll do that and see if it helps.

Maybe Visible then. There should be a thread on it here.

I have Verizon 55Plus plan and its unlimited Data! Costs me around $80 a month with my Tablet line I live in Massachusetts & have heard the plan is only available in some states. Local Verizon Stores cant sign you up but if you call Verizon I'm sure they will give details and whether you qualify.
Best Wishes I Subscribe!

How much data do you use per month.

I use netbuddy.co, which is $60 per month for unlimited / non-trottled AT&T (hotspot) and I average 160-170 GB per month. I find the speed varies, but I think when it is slower it is tower congestion, as I have spoken to others that get much faster speeds than I do.

I also have straight talk (Verizon / Walmart)) unlimited and an LG Stylo 3 phone which can be used as a hotspot. It's like $60 per month also. It is always faster than the ATT hotspot. I don't know if it is truly unlimited as their site says they frown on users using more than 60 GB per month. The most I have used is about 25 GB.

ATT is usually around 17 mbps down / 7 up, but at times it is slower.

Verizon is usually pretty consistently close to 25 mbps both up and down

RogerD - ballpark - where are you located when you get those speeds?

I just saw that Verizon changed their prepaid plans. (Thanks Technomadia.) They now have a reasonably priced unlimited mifi plan, unlimited 4g always with network management. (So slow on busy towers.)

blars said:
I just saw that Verizon changed their prepaid plans. (Thanks Technomadia.) They now have a reasonably priced unlimited mifi plan, unlimited 4g always with network management. (So slow on busy towers.)

Downside of the Verizon PrePaid is that the Unlimited plan does not include Hotspot data of any kind (previous unlimited plan included Hotspot, but even then, only at 3G speeds)...
The lower data-capped plans appear to include hotspot, but they're pretty limited data buckets for a YouTube creator uploading videos...or other large data user needs.

My friend has the Verizon hot spot that goes with the most recent unlimited plan. But the bad news is they throttled his hot spot to slow speed after he reached a certain amount of data uses. However the good news is they did not throttle hiss phone or his tablet. So he ended up having to use those devices as hot spots for more than half the month. I would say for a hot spot for youtube videos you will need to do a lot of research, not everything that might happen is apparent upfront with the unlimited plans and the devices used for mifi on them. He was very frustrated when that happened with his mifi hotspot.