Best FOLDING awning support beams for a minivan?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urbankid12

Reaction score
OK. So I am looking to add an awning into my setup.  I'm noting the sun is much warmer than I expected so having that flexability I think will be a nice luxury/quality of life thing. I have a honda odyssey.  I am thinking I coud just get a tarp and tie or clip them on to the top of the minivan and then I'd  just need two support beams to hold it on the other side.  Does anyone have such a thing on their van or minivan?  I'm looking for cheap and simple.  Likely it be somthing I just put up on no or light wind only mornings.  Usually the afternoons the sun is not an issue.  (in a campground so I'm limited in the ability to point it away from the sun all day, and I refuse to rotate my van daily that's to much wear and tear IMO) 

Ideally somthing that take up hardly any space.  I was thinking of something that folds or collapses.  Kinda like a tripod for a camera... hmm.. Perhaps I could just use that..  Maybe sombody has some good ideas.

My other thought is maybe making somthing out of PVC pipe.  Would like to make the thing easy to transport in hardly any space and able to stand up without being tacked into the ground.  Figured I'd ask in case anyone already created something and had good ideas. 

Also what type of tarp is best?  Or does it even matter or make a differene.  IF anything I might just do something like this.. 

[img=400x300]https://64.media.tumblr.com/d20944e...c62/tumblr_n6ibkj9CFt1rwczsto1_1280.jpg[/img]

Keep in mind anywhere the tarp touches the paint you are running the risk of rubbing the paint off with any type of wind. Throw in blowing dust/sand and you turn that tarp into sandpaper. Highdesertranger

Look on youtube, there are a few videos for this. one guy made a 180 degree awning which I see in my future.. can be pretty simple to make, some PVC and extension polls.. you can get away with it for less then $100 I would think

Get some roof racks so there is something to attach to that is not the vehicle body panels. That should help with rubbing issues. Maybe you can find some folding tent poles for your outboard support?