Best All Terrain Tires For Van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cortttt

Reaction score
For a 2wd GMC Savana van

Terrain considerations - I travel widely so I come across everything from sand to tire splitting rocks and mud but rarely snow....sand and rocks are probably the most common issues I come across but I do want to get up to Alaska and I assume that will mean mud. 

I've gotten stuck 4 times in the past year; three times I was able to get myself out - the other time cost me over $400.  (Most of the times I've gotten stuck if I had been a bit more careful I could have avoided it.) 

I'm running on passenger car tires right now. Will probably upgrade in about six months. 

I'm thinking of increasing the size of the tires a bit (I whacked my transmission pan really badly last year). 

Something with a little less rolling resistance would be nice! (If possible).  

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

How may inches over stock can you go with out effecting the gearing on this type of van?

I have run BFGoodrich Mud Terrains until recently(the stopped making my size). so I bought BFG All Terrains for the front. However I needed to buy rear tires I bought the Goodyear Wrangler Dura Trax Mud Terrains. I will see how they work out. if I were you I would get a load range "E" tire that was made in the USA. I am surprised the rocks haven't eaten up your "P" rated tires. highdesertranger

The BFG All Terrain is great for everything BUT snow. The Goodyear Dura-Trac is a great all-arounder... As long as you get the appropriate load range for your van. (C or better I imagine)

steamjam1 said:
What ire size are you running now?

245/75R/16 - I can go up to 265's and some other sizes are available.

highdesertranger said:
I have run BFGoodrich Mud Terrains until recently(the stopped making my size).  so I bought BFG All Terrains for the front.  However I needed to buy rear tires  I bought the Goodyear Wrangler Dura Trax Mud Terrains.  I will see how they work out.  if I were you I would get a load range "E" tire that was made in the USA.  I am surprised the rocks haven't eaten up your "P" rated tires.  highdesertranger

I am too.  They're Goodyear Wranglers. Hopefully they'll last another six months. 

I had a cheaper all terrain tire on the 4Runner. A rock just slashed through one of them outside of Elko. The tire guy there said it happens all the time.

I talked to a BLM guy outside of Phoenix. He recommended Yokohama Geolander and Tonno something or other tires.  He didn't do well with the Goodrich All terrains in that environment.

ArtCloud Trekka said:
How may inches over stock can you go with out effecting the gearing on this type of van?

I don't know. I know that Costco is willing to sell me 265/75/16 to replace the 245/75/16's on there. They seem to be pretty conservative in general. 

I don't know if I'm going to do that but its a possibility.  It would give a lift...I did whack my transmission pan really hard. The dealer was shocked it survived. In general I don't have many problems with clearance - I don't hit very often  - but that one was a doozie...

I know it will decrease the power and MPG a bit but I don't know how much and I have no idea about effecting the gear or the other strains a bit bigger tire might put on the van. That would be good to find out.

steamjam1 said:
The BFG All Terrain is great for everything BUT snow. The Goodyear Dura-Trac is a great all-arounder... As long as you get the appropriate load range for your van. (C or better I imagine)

I've heard really good things about the Duratrac It's hard to get an online price - I think they're pretty pricey.

I can get the All Terrains at Costco at a good price. They're well rated and I like that they have the snowflake symbol - no chains needed. High rolling resistance is a minus - that's true for many AT's - but not all; so they probably put a bite in MPG - although how much I don't know.

cortttt said:
I am too.  They're Goodyear Wranglers. Hopefully they'll last another six months. 

I had a cheaper all terrain tire on the 4Runner. A rock just slashed through one of them outside of Elko. The tire guy there said it happens all the time.

I talked to a BLM guy outside of Phoenix. He recommended Yokohama Geolander and Tonno something or other tires.  He didn't do well with the Goodrich All terrains in that environment.

The All Terrains are really well rated though -so I take that with a grain of salt.

I just bought new tires for my pick up. My friend owns a repair shop. Told me Duratracs were discontinued, but doesn't look like they are online. A few people online during quick google search were also told they were discontinued. But they are on the Goodyear website still. And I found some places online that could ship them to me. However, I have 18" wheels and they were pretty expensive for that size.

Then my buddy called me about a week later and he ended up with 4 Nitto Terra All Terrains a customer backed out of. So I got them installed with alignment for $750 for all 4. Before agreeing to them I checked them out online, lots of good reviews, load range E and says made in USA on the side of them, although it's a Japanese company. Only have 300 miles on them, but already got to test them in snow and was impressed. Time will tell. If I knew I was going to keep this until the tires wear out, I would have sprung for the Duratracs

highdesertranger said:
what is the letters on those wranglers is it "LT" or "P"?  highdesertranger

They are LT's.  LT245/75R16

It's the Wrangler HD - no longer made I don't believe. I had to replace one and had to order it from Goodyear.

Every Road Leads Home said:
I just bought new tires for my pick up.  My friend owns a repair shop.  Told me Duratracs were discontinued, but doesn't look like they are online.  A few people online during quick google search were also told they were discontinued.  But they are on the Goodyear website still.  And I found some places online that could ship them to me.  However, I have 18" wheels and they were pretty expensive for that size.  

Then my buddy called me about a week later and he ended up with 4 Nitto Terra All Terrains a customer backed out of.  So I got them installed with alignment for $750 for all 4.  Before agreeing to them I checked them out online, lots of good reviews, load range E and says made in USA on the side of them, although it's a Japanese company.  Only have 300 miles on them, but already got to test them in snow and was impressed.  Time will tell.  If I knew I was going to keep this until the tires wear out, I would have sprung for the Duratracs

That's a good deal with the alignment :)

I checked online on Goodyear - you can still get Duratracs for this van

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-duratrac?cta=BBCardFullTireDetails

$867 for 4 installed

Not much of a tire expert, but I've had Firestone Destination AT on my Toyota 4x4 for two years, and been pleased with them. They're reasonably-priced ($560 installed for P235/75R15), quiet, and seem plenty capable for Class 2 jeep trails even at full pressure. I don't remember where they're made but definitely not China or somewhere else with bad labor and environmental conditions (this was an important factor for me when tire-shopping so I made sure of it). Their rolling resistance feels moderate.

Low rolling resistance, comfort, traction; pick two.

If you plan on wheelin' through Alaskan mud and can't/won't convert to 4wd, you might want to look into installing a differential locker on your rear axle. Also, chains can help in mud as well as snow.

The first thing I did to my van was swap out the Firestones with BFG AT KO2's. My van is heavy and has had no trouble on any terrain so far. Mud, Ice and snow, they plow right through. I've had a couple of sets of these on my old F-250 4x4,, they were great on it too.

I'm usually not a big proponent of Toyo tires as they are spendy and not worth the extra $$$. Often you can buy a better Michelin tire for cheaper from Costco. Les Schwab is the biggest seller of Toyo tires but they charge lots for cheap tires. So buying a set of M-55's is probably going to hurt. LS does have good customer service and a lot of stores in the west.

However, the Toyo M-55 has earned a reputation as being the toughest light truck tire that one can get up on the very rugged Alaskan/Yukon gravel roads and many other places in the world where tire damage is a big issue. It is a commercial traction/all terrain tire that will not get many compliments for having a smooth ride or being civilized. They are all about getting you there and back. If interested, please do some research on the M-55 and post up what you think.

About going up to 265 75 16 load range E tires: I don't know if the wider size will fit for sure on your Savana. I do know that Costco is pretty conservative about up-sizing tires so probably it is OK.

The 265 75 16's are 32 inches in diameter and the stock tires are about 30.8 inches. So your clearance will be upped by 6 tenths of an inch. You could also go with go with the 235 85 16 load range E tires, they are 32" also. I'm a bit of a skinny "pizza cutter" tire fan myself. I'm guessing that you will go for the 265's for the flotation, for good reason.

I just ordered a set of front Sumo Springs solo bump stop style spring helpers. Pretty cheap and look super easy to install. While they will not do what most folks think as "raising" your rig, they should reduce the sag of the front end, especially when one is bouncing a bit while navigating rugged roads. Since we are talking about a 2wd van, crawling along at super low speeds is sometimes not an option as some momentum is required where a 4wd could go a bit slower w/o getting stuck.

Sumo Springs link: http://www.truckspring.com/products...xpress-GMC-Savana-Solo-Front__SSF-204-47.aspx

I'm having a Detroit True Trac limited slip differential installed this week.

An aluminum front winch bumper and winch, with synthetic line to keep the weight down, will be installed the following week. That is why I am getting the Sumo Springs. Hoping that my front end will be no lower than stock with about 90 pounds extra hanging off of the front end with the Sumo springs doing their job.

It is interesting that we are both thinking somewhat along the same lines again.

I put Wrangler mud tires on my 2001 Chevy Expres and have been pleased with them. I've had them stuck 3 times, so don't expect miracles of traction, they will disappoint if you do. The most important thing is airing them down, if you do the side lugs will actually start to bite too.

They sell a version with kevlar in the side walls, next time I will get them instead.

I disliked the two sets of standard auto tires I had on my minivan. Not good traction on wet pavement or in loose sand.
So I got a set of Bridgestone Light Truck tires an inch larger diameter. Much better performance. Not "all terrains", but they are perfect for my needs.
And yes, there is a small speedo error. I can live with it.

I've recently started driving a 1998 GMC Safari conversion van  What is the difference between a Savanah & a Safari?

After driving a 4x4 Ranger for 13ys unless when it was in 4whl drive I could make sharp/tight R&L turns.  The tires on the Safari rub on sharp turns.  A friend said I might need to have "the wheel wells cut"  I'm sure it has passenger tires on it however I will check.  The van came from my Mom and after 18ys she didn't know if it had 4....6....or 8cyls.

I'm glad to see this thread as I will replace the tires at some point with  at least a LT tire.  Someone at a tire store told me a XL tire will sometimes have a higher load rating than a LT tire.  I'm use to road racket from AT and Mud grip tires.  I just need advice from folks who R not trying to sell me something

This will be a multi use van.  Daily driver, travel boon docking live in van, and tow vehicle for a Aliner pop up.

It will be a Grandma's van however not a little 'ol lady's just going to the mall for coffee with the girls van.  Please...... Please if anyone's listening up there in the cosmos.......Pay Attention Would Ya :D

Jewellann

PS Did I Hijack this Thread?  If So Sorry...Not My Intent.