2019 Kia Forte Off Road Tires

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdoverl

Reaction score
I plan on getting some off road tires for my Forte in the future. Driving over rock, pepples, and uneven terrain has be worried and the car didn’t come with a spare tire either, but has a wheel well for a spare. I’m limiting myself to cheap tires from Walmart for the time being. But I don’t have the slightest clue as to what constitutes as “off road tires”.

My tire type is 205 55r16. I’ve pasted a list of these tires from the Walmart website below. Can someone please tell me what is considered off road and maybe suggest what tires to get?

https://www.walmart.com/browse/auto...H&_fs5=89&_rt=pft&_rts=1&cat_id=91083_1077064

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are looking for "all terrain" tires that have as many ply's as you can find.

I run BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO2's on my van. You may be hard pressed to find all terrain in car tire sizes.

Your current 205/55/16 tires are 24.88" tall, and meant for pavement driving. If you were to buy 225/60/16 all terrain tires, they would be nearly 2" taller at 26.63, and .75" wider, which would provide a much more stable off road platform, and nearly 1 inch more ground clearance over rocks/obstacles

225 tires 8.86" wide, and 26.63" tall
205 tires 8.07" wide, and 24.88" tall

After having problems with gravel roads eating up and puncturing tires we switched to a Cooper tire with more plys and more aggressive tread for our older Camry but my daughter did manage to cut a side wall, most likely due to low pressure from a cold snap. We have run them on several vehicles and they have done well although they were recently bought out by another major tire company. They do tend to be expensive compared to other brands when initially buying.

You might be lucky in that you have 16" wheels. However you can't just put any 16" under there it has to fit. Most tire places will not install tires that are outside the manufacturers recommend size.

What you are looking for is aggressive tread and a high load rating. Load rating "E" is what most offroaders seek. E's are 10 ply rated.

Highdesertranger

ckelly78z said:
225 tires 8.86" wide, and 26.63" tall
205 tires 8.07" wide, and 24.88" tall

Which will probably not fit inside the wheel wells without clearance problems.

MrNoodly said:
Which will probably not fit inside the wheel wells without clearance problems.

Your right it won’t fit in the wheel wheel, you can tell the current tires are a snug fit already

highdesertranger said:
You might be lucky in that you have 16" wheels. However you can't just put any 16" under there it has to fit. Most tire places will not install tires that are outside the manufacturers recommend size.

What you are looking for is aggressive tread and a high load rating. Load rating "E" is what most offroaders seek. E's are 10 ply rated.

Highdesertranger

Ok, I see it’s called “Tire Load Index” and “Tire Speed Rating” I’ll look more closely at this.

My current tires are 91H and had the below for Ply info

05c50d0283e58f47c0b582eb8424b52e.jpg

Get the highest load range letter rating you can to resist punctures, for whatever size will work on your vehicle. I dont worry about aggressive treads any more, I dont like the NOISE they make on the road, and Ive not had problems that a more aggressive tread would help, even in snow, except possibly in mud. Even chains didnt help then, you couldnt even tell the chains were on it was so ***** and deep. I went to an all season tire on my trucks and SUVs, load range E on 3/4 t trucks and Suburbans about 35 years ago and never looked back.

Some of my neighbors were having serious trouble with ordinary road tires on various vehicles, they lived on about 1 1/2 miles of graded dirt and gravel roads that washboarded badly, they kept getting rocks puncturing tires. They went to heavier rated tired and it stopped.