Bendable, lightweight solar panels

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christine

Reaction score
Bendable, lightweight solar panels have just started to become ubiquitous. At least, when I bought my solar panels several months ago I had done a fair amount of research and never came across these. Anyway, just thought I'd put it out there in case anyone is interested.

They're still fairly expensive--more expensive than the normal, rigid panels. But it's possible to still come out ahead if it means you don't have to install a roof rack. Renogy seems to have the best price.

http://www.renogy-store.com/100watts-bendable-panel-p/rng-100db.htm

You'd still need to mount them to something rigid so they don't flap around. Or maybe they'd be good for portable setups that aren't permanently attached.

Hmm, let's see, they are mono crystalline, good for better efficiency. They are 100 watts each, also good. The only downside so far seems to be how to mount them?

The site claims predrilled mounting holes. I guess suction cups could be used for temporary installation.

You still need a controller, wires, clamps and batteries.

with the holes, you can easily put a short screw with a large washer through them, and then use a bit of caulk to keep it from coming out. I've seen this done many times, makes it nice and flush to the surfaces they're on (but haven't seen it on a vehicle yet...)

Please note the following Specs for that 180 watt panel:

Open Circuit Voltage: 39.8 volts
Short Circuit Current: 5.85 amperes
Max Power: 32.92v @ 5.45 amps

It requires a MPPT charge controller at that voltage.

I Wonder how much performance is degraded when flat mounted to a surface. No doubt the specs above are in very favorable cool conditions.

With no airflow underneath, the heat increase has to be significant over a framed panel with an inch of space below.

I have 198 watts, 130 framed and a 68 watt unisolar.

Mid summer I will see upto 13.5 amps from this combo, but sometimes I can see much more, briefly.

This occurs at an Edge of cloud event. The panels have cooled in the shade of the clouds and then as they move away, right at the edge of the cloud the light refracts and the cooler panels can make huge currents very briefly until they warm back up.

The Highest I have seen is 22 amps.

Yes. I think I would like to see them up close to determine how to mount them. But that would be with any panels.

Another place you can get a surprising spike in voltage and amps is at high elevation. A freind went over a pass at 12,000 feet in CO and blew his HV Blue Sky controller. He called them and explained and they said yes, the clear sky and cooler temps at high elevation can really spike the panel and it went over the capacity of the controller.

THEY SENT HIM A NEW ONE FREE!!!

That's one of the reasons I recommend Blue Sky! You call, you'll talk to the engineer who designed and built the controller and who will make it right. Try that with your cheap ebay Chinese controller.

For that panel you will need not just an MPPT controller, but a High Voltge controller. I recommend Blue Sky! I have two of them now. It'll be around $220 but it's like getting another 30% of panels for free.
Bob

You might want to take a look at AMSOLAR'S blurb about a flexible panel they are evaluating. It is found on their products page under solar panels. It seems to be the same type of panel.

amsolar.com

I'm surprised that AM Solar is being that upfront about the problems they're having with their flexible panels. I bought a couple hundred dollars' worth of stuff from them a while back, and a large portion of the stuff they sold me went into the trash can because it was garbage. Perhaps it was my bad for not doing thorough research first, but the guy sold me all this stuff over the phone, and none of it was shown on their website. He was very convincing. Thief.

Anywho, AM Solar is saying that the cells have a "cupping" problem. They form a slight cup shape, trapping dust in the center of the cell, thereby producing less power. Grain of salt. Who knows if all flexible panels are the same.

Last time I looked into flexible panels the problem was they took up a lot more room for the same wattage as panels. When you're trying to fit as much as possible onto your roof this makes a difference.

Has this gotten any better?

Yeah I have been doing some reading on these and it seems like the disadvantages really outweigh the benefits. For all the reasons listed and, of course, price per watt being the biggest imo, but also I believe there must be a lack/lower efficiency due to the very curvature of the panel. I'd think that you're doing yourself no favors going this route. First off, what is the reason for using a flexible over rigid panel? I don't see how space is the main issue, because you've got to have the same exposure, and with a curved panel I would think that at any given moment, only a portion of the panel is going to be working at peak efficiency.

If an odd configuration is needed, you could simply go with several small panels mounted where possible rather than one big one. If the question is simply one of not having a flat surface, is it more a lack of a mount/rack, and is that because you don't want to or can't build/install one? I know some people are loathe to punch holes in their roofs to mount a frame, but from what I've read (no personal xp btw) there are these highly rated adhesive tapes that many are using with great success, so that could be a better alternative.

Another route would be to just store them somewhere, then take them out when you get to your destination. Put them in a rack or hang em off the side of your rig, lots of variations on a theme if you use you're imagination ;?D A very REAL alternative I think, not yet available unfortunately but coming soon from what I've read, is PV PAINT!!! Yep, that's on the foreseeable horizon and when it arrives, man that could be a big part of the solution to our solar power needs!
;?D

Do you think that those high powered 'earth magnets' would keep a wind from blowing these panels off a surface?

I'd use the 3M glue before I would use magnets. That's tried and true. Of course bolts are the safest and surest of all!
Bob

Not saying these panels from Go Power are good or bad. They say install their flexible with Sikaflex 221 Adhesive Sealant no screws needed. Funny video of jumping on the panels.
A SEEKER

At the very least I got a chuckle from their dance routine on the panels.