Below the floor battery box...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MikeRuth, did you have and use preexisting holes, or did ya drill fresh ones thru your chassis frameworks?

I would definitely want, protection from rocks or road debris putting a hole, in my batts.

And what about when there's deep water to drive through, even big splashes!

Sealed box for me, if FLA small vents high up as possible

Vagabound said:
I'll throw a question in here just to confuse things ...

Assuming batteries hanging under a vehicle, otherwise secure enough to prevent cliff diving, what's the standard thinking about whether the batteries need to be fully enclosed in some kind of a box more protected from the weather or whether they can just be sitting on a rack otherwise exposed to the weather?

An additional concern might be protection from thieves as well as weather in an enclosed box.

Tom

A basic plastic battery box would be great, if it can fit in the steel hanger rack.
That Summit rack looks like it is sized for starting batteries.

Again, road hazards to the undercarriage can be hard, sharp heavy forces at play, think skid plates.

Plastic just wouldn't cut it for me, would need to be at least as sturdy as an ammo box.

A bit of plate steel, guy with a welding torch, shouldn't be expensive.

The idea comes from vtwinkicker, and he used two eight inch steel plates, bent with hanging lips and placed in a cross wise arrangment, one running length wise, one running width wise, overlapped at the bottom, and the vertical corners are open...

I wasn't trying to reinvent the wheel, just trying to see what y'all thought...

Flooded roads scenario means as close to sealed as possible to me.