Bellyflop in TX

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crofter

Reaction score
I am following the bellyflop in Texas during the current cold weather there and power grid failure. 

Having survived many blizzards in Wyoming, I find it hard to believe that the people are so unprepared. Most of it looks like a skiff of snow, no big deal. The smartest one moved into her car.

S&B survival: smallest room, all the blankets, all the people under the blankets sharing body heat. I also routinely keep buckets of water in case of outages.

Don't run the generator inside. 

Anyone have other tips for surviving?
-crofter

Link to news account.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/texas-power-winter-weather-death-toll-climbs/

Leave both and all faucets running slightly to keep water lines from freezing. Use your outside grill or fire ring to heat water for warmth inside in bottles or sealed containers and to cook a hot meal just before bed. Make sure car is out of garage in the open so exhaust doesn’t kill you. Run it every two hours for 20 minutes to warm it up. Collect water in an ice chest, warm it up but don’t melt the ice chest. If you have a gas hot water heater run the bath tub and sinks full every few hours, restrict the drain but don’t stop it and fill it slowly so every thing heats up. Get out the sleeping bags if you have them. You can take the warm rocks you used for a fire ring after roasting marshmallows and use tongs or welding gloves fill a metal bucket or tub and set it on concrete blocks or bricks in the area for warmth where you will sleep after making sure the fire is out. Build a tent over your bed out of quilts or comforters about 4’ off the mattress to help hold in the heat, the more bodies the merrier.

Rocks from a fire ring is a good idea. I heard in one news account that people were burning their fences. That cedar would be a quick fire, but bringing the rocks inside would make the heat last longer.
-crofter

^^^ all the above do safely and at your own risk as most areas have hospitals or warming areas even neighbors that have generators or fireplaces may be able to let you get warm without you having to do something unsafe. National Guard staging areas should have trucks and be able to take you to them if you call emergency services.

This is too much, a rant instead of relief, as mayor quits instead of pitching in. Link to article.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/feb/17/texas-mayor-tom-boyd-quits-storm-sink-or-swim

The power company does have the responsibility to provide safe and reliable service. At least based on all the lawsuits against power company after the CA fires.
But everyone needs a backup plan when the grid or your solar panels go down. I have a generator.

Also taxes fund an emergency manager to help the county prepare for disasters, on the county level and also to educate the people on what to do. Your taxes paid for this. Of course there is an obligation to provide services from rescues to warming shelters. Find out what resources exist in your county.
-crofter

I find it hard to believe SO many are unprepared also....especially when you LIVE in an area YOU KNOW can get XYZ or ABC....I mean, DUH, a little prepared means you could save a life for sure.

I live in the South and I am more prepared for our little bad winter weather truly then some of those who live right in the crazy winter tough weather??? I mean come on!

most important is food, water, warmth. Be sure extra propane tanks and a grill around....start grilling that meat :)
Jugs around or fill bath tub to flush toilets. I have a pool too :)
Warmth you guys mentioned above. But a small genny and small heater goes a long way for survival.

So many effected, it truly is a nightmare winter for alot of people!

My Jackery has proven useful here in Dallas. I’m at my sticks and bricks and it is cold. But I’ve got my Jackery plugged in so when we do get power it recharges and then plug in my stuff into the Jackery so they get power when the house has no power. It’s not enough to run heaters though...

Almost all S&B homeowners will survive. Many houses, apartment complexes, etc. are suffering serious damage from water (i.e. burst water lines). For lots of homeowners and owners of a single apartment complex, they are probably reading their insurance policies by torch (flashlight) under a blanket. Will insurance companies fail? How many insurance policies replace lost rental income? Who will do the plumbing repairs in a timely manner when hundreds of thousands (?) also need repairs? Should you check the electrical wiring for water damage? (YES!!)

The point of this is that there might be a new surge of nomads from Texas in a year or so. Each death is (and will be) tragic. However the longer term effect on society will come from the survivors who suffer serious damage to homes, businesses, etc. and might not be covered or might go broke before insurance gets around to helping. What do you do if you live in an apartment and the complex is closed for months because of repairs or lack of water (& power)?

Texas governor Abbott issued an order preventing natural gas from being shipped out of Texas. This is probably illegal and Mexico has already complained. However, while this is in effect, what happens to Oklahoma, Louisiana, New Mexico, Mexico, etc.? Will buildings in other states lose heat and possibly suffer damage?

Thinking ahead... What a concept...

Weather channel says 16 degrees in Dallas currently, up from a low of minus 2 degrees on Tuesday. 

Compared to a low overnight in the mid fourties in southern AZ.
-crofter

Back up to 40F in my area of Bama. The Northern part of the state really took it in the shorts though. Anyone in the Huntsville, Muscle Shoals, Florence area?

--------Thinking ahead... What a concept..

YOU are so right here JD!!

crofter said:
Weather channel says 16 degrees in Dallas currently, up from a low of minus 2 degrees on Tuesday. 

Compared to a low overnight in the mid fourties in southern AZ.
-crofter
I woke up to temperatures of -11F, -13F and lower over the last few days.  I walked to the store a couple times because my car complains about low tire pressure.  (Can humidity inside the tire cause the tire valve to freeze open?  It sure seemed like that happened when I added air to a tire; I quickly screwed on the valve cap before too much air escaped, drove home and don't plan to drive again until it warms up.)  Anyway 16F would cause me to get out my flip flops. :D

Cold air compresses and becomes more dense than warm air which expands. My tires have gone from 32 PSI to 28 over the last few days according to my TP display and I haven't gone anywhere... Once it warms up again be prepared to bleed your tires.

JDub said:
Cold air compresses and becomes more dense than warm air which expands. My tires have gone from 32 PSI to 28 over the last few days according to my TP display and I haven't gone anywhere... Once it warms up again be prepared to bleed your tires.
Yeah, I am very familiar with this phenomenon but I have never had the valve stick open before.  I was wondering if others had experienced this.

The government isn't here to always help you. We pay taxes, and those taxes are to pay for certain services, but I think it's good practice not to rely on these services. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. Probably the Boy Scout in me talking. I hope everyone in these areas with rv's that never expected such cold remembered to winterize their stuff.

I hope everyone in these areas with rv's that never expected such cold remembered to winterize their stuff.
————————————-+++———
I’ve received a lot of posts the past few days from folks in south Texas asking how to winterize...

SLB_SA said:
Yeah, I am very familiar with this phenomenon but I have never had the valve stick open before.  I was wondering if others had experienced this.

I'm assuming you have caps on the stem. I'm going with the "freezing in place" scenario. :D