Bellyflop in TX

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As soon as the power comes back on most will forget, that is a big part of the problem now!

Lately, I have been, considering my circumstances, if it is very cold, and the general energy infrastructure were to break down.

It is not difficult to imagine solutions.

However..... if such an energy infrastructure break-down is a "once-in-a-generation" event - how motivated will I then be to invest time and money and effort into it?

Where I live, winter storms are not uncommon. But how common are winter storms in those regions of Texas?

The thing is, one can drive oneself to near distraction trying to anticipate and plan for any eventuality.

It’s simply not possible, and cataclysmic natural events of all types leave many flat footed because of their extremes.

I think the best we can do is to watch weather forecasts and take steps to prepare as we are able.

The “as we are able” bit is critical, as many are not able to do much in the way of planning and preparation, as they simply don’t have the resources.

Think Hurricane Katrina, and calls to evacuate NOLA, not recognizing many did not have the means to evacuate nor anywhere to go if they did.

When things warm up down there, it’s going to be a mess and organizations are going to be stepping in to help.

Any who can should give a little, IMO, as it could be any one of us the next time.

According to a majority of scientists climate change is causing radical swings in our weather and this is to a point it is the new normal. 50 and 100 year events are happening much, much, much more often. A sustainable self contained mobile shelter as much as is possible seems to me to be a really good idea. Gaining the skills and materials to survive at least a month in our changing environment probably ought to be taught and practiced by every person sometime early in their life.

Hi WanderingRose, I agree that one can not prepare for any (or long term) calamities. 

But some level of general preparation might still be possible. 
Where I live, the official statement is, that everyone needs to be able to take care of themselves for 72-hours.

Is this also the common recommendation, where you all live?

crofter said:
Agree, being comfy in the car for the duration if you can not just get out of the way. S&B will still be wrecked though.
-crofter

@MrAlvinDude
I have lived in areas where residents were expected to live without power during blizzards and ice storms for a week or more (Wyoming, Montana, Oregon, Arizona). In AZ the outages can be during the heat & no AC.
-crofter

MrAlvinDude said:
Where I live, the official statement is, that everyone needs to be able to take care of themselves for 72-hours.

Is this also the common recommendation, where you all live?

No, tho I live in a good sized community where disruptions to utilities in my state, other than for things like tornadoes, are generally very short lived.

Raised by a mother who was raised during the Depression, keeping stocked with basic essentials is the norm for me.

Might not have what I most wanted to eat, but I wouldn’t starve and could feed others.

Minus electricity, gas, propane, etc., for a prolonged period, tho, would be much, much harder.

I don’t keep a stockpile of drinking water, as our water supply is never disrupted, but in fact it could be...like with an earthquake...and a half dozen or so gallons of water might be a good addition.

Water supply cutoff? Use the water out of the drain spigot on your water heater. That should keep you going for awhile. If really desperate, the top tank of the toilet holds a few gallons of "fresh" water.

...."Top tank of the toilet holds a few gallons"...PLETHORA
------------------------------------------------------------------

Gag. True though you will want to purify before drinking.

I keep at least a case of bottled water around plus about 5 gallons of water that is not purified- at all times.  In the van is a case of bottled water plus 15 gallons. 
-crofter

@crofter. Those levels of preparation makes sense, in those areas.

In the 90's, where I worked, we saw a city wide power out, for about 15 minutes, once a quarter, for a little over a year.
So, eventually, the office decided to get a big battery back-up supply for the mainframe. One of those sub-marine battery setups. It was costly, and filled up an entire room.

Then - for the next 8 years, not a one power-outage!  -  For some reason they did not install new batteries, when the old ones wore out.

@WanderingRose - Yes, it is those super reliable systems, that one day will get us.

One reason I like the 72-hour idea is, that it also sets an easy limit, to how much I need to invest in things, that will not be used for decades.

Food and water is however something that I use on a regular basis. So I may have a longer storage plan for some foods.

Otherwise, I mainly increase my preparedness, if there is some kind of warning.
Either a 'warning' that I can detect myself, or if some official warning is issued.

MrAlvinDude said:
...One reason I like the 72-hour idea is, that it also sets an easy limit, to how much I need to invest in things, that will not be used for decades.....
You have to consider how much your life is worth and your health (keeping fingers and toes from frostbite?)

Costs:
Storing water in used jugs = free

Mr Buddy heater = about $90 or less

https://www.acehardware.com/departm...2_mgnIVQGg1rvqpLWzYaAtSfEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Propane bottle = about $34 or less

https://www.acehardware.com/departm...TylsgoKlaUN2Xe_0f6UaAoSQEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Propane regulator = about $18

https://www.acehardware.com/departm...okers/propane-cylinders-and-accessories/47578

Propane gas line hose = about $20

https://www.acehardware.com/departm...grill-replacement-parts-and-accessories/81309

Total is about $175 for all new gear at Ace Hardware. I spent less but well worth it for that one 7 day ice storm in Oregon when I was stranded. Also used to reduce the misery of a week long rainstorm while camp hosting, to dry out gear. 

Of course you are also worth $175 and could share the resource with others. While waiting for disaster to strike you could also use the gear for camping. It will not wear out before you really need it.

Stay safe and be prepared.
-crofter

The MrBuddy heater puts off enough heat that you will stay warm with ventilation from window or door which I advise for safety. I rarely run it for more than 10 min but during the above events was running continuously for days. -c

MrAlvinDude said:
One reason I like the 72-hour idea is, that it also sets an easy limit, to how much I need to invest in things, that will not be used for decades.

That is a good rule of thumb, and I will file it away for future reference.

72 hours would never be a problem, really, whether I am at home or traveling, as I would always have enough of basics for three days.

The really bad stuff, tho, is never just 72 hours long.

Hurricanes, major tornadoes, earthquakes, uncommon snowstorms/frigid temps in areas not accustomed to them. Etc.

It always takes longer than one would like to see for help to arrive.

Help gets bogged down in the disaster, too.

All we can do is the best we can, and then if our number is up, it is up.

This video by Austin builder Matt Risinger discusses problems the storms have caused.
This story  about the Austin water system says:
Austin Water Director Greg Meszaros said it was unclear exactly how many Austinites were still without water service but said it was "many tens of thousands."
"Tens of thousands" of leaks in the system have wreaked havoc on Austin's water supply, Meszaros said. That has been compounded by an untold number of burst pipes in homes.

The problem we would have in Wyoming with blizzards is that the weight of the snow would crush things to the ground, and even break off the power poles in places. Once that happened it would be a long time to fix it. We carried winter gear in the vehicles from September until June because you just never know.

Aren't you glad you are not living there? Nice place to visit though.

My heart does go out to those people in Texas and the other places in the path of this storm. According to the weather station, the cold is not expected to really break until Sunday.
-crofter

Thanks for the articles re the situation in Austin.

I knew about PEX piping and drainback faucets, but had not heard of putting tankless water heaters outside the house. They could probably develop some type of weatherization for the water heaters, sounds like they might just install them inside the houses instead. 

Also success using propane generators, popular in Oregon where power outages happen every time a tree falls on the power lines. Really interesting was the idea that the stainless fittings would not transfer heat. I thought stainless was used in Seattle due to the salt air. 

Lots of good reflection on how to build better for bad weather. 
-crofter

If you're in a home with no heat, you turn off the water at the street, then drain down the water lines so they won't freeze...... common sense.

My van is toasty warm and my home is toasty warm too. If the power goes off I have two generators (one spare) and heaters to keep the place warm..... common sense.

No matter where I live, I always have a backup plan... common sense.

If common sense were common everyone would have it.

I know very few people with common sense. Most people get their sense from the mass media.

Highdesertranger

NO POLITICS

Just because you post negatives about both parties doesn't make it non-political.

If you name a Politician or a political party I will delete it. Weather you post something negative or positive about them.

Highdesertranger

An estimate I've heard for the damage done by frozen pipes is $45-50 BILLION...wow.

That's in major hurricane territory dollar-wise.