Belated Intro

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarEcho

Reaction score
Hi there,

I normally just ignore the whole introduce myself thing because I really dislike that sort of thing. But I guess it's about time, especially after Bob recently said something that resonated with me regarding the difficulty of being a tribe if we are hiding ourselves (by withholding our names). So here I am.

I'm not a full timer or van dweller. Yet. I do agree with the whole philosophy of living simply. You wouldn't know it to look at my house, but as time goes by that will change. I have a DH who doesn't like to camp unfortunately, but who also doesn't mind if I go off on my own, so it all works out. My 4 kids are grown and I'm working on getting them gone, but it's a slow process. Only one has any gumption and joined the Marines and saved his money, put himself through good university and how has a good job.

I'm into astronomy and own several telescopes, belong to the local astronomy club (am it's webmaster actually) and enjoy going out to the boonies to observe and take pictures of the night sky. I have the equipment to attach my camera to my telescope and to piggy back it, but many times I just find it easier to simply hook it to a tripod and take shorter exposures and call it a night. LOL

I have a medium size dog, Kili (ala The Hobbit) - around 40 lbs. He's a shelter dog so not really sure what breed, but they told me Australian Cattle Dog mix.
20140624_093913.jpg

20140213_095122.jpg

He could have some Rot in him or maybe Basenji. It doesn't really matter. He's learning his manners now, although I'm blessed that there's not too many left to teach. Unfortunately the ones he lacks are the ones that include not barking (it's a terrifying bark) and lunging at other dogs and tearing off after Rabbits or little children. :s

Well, I guess that's enough for now. Oh, I did attend the last RTR, but I pretty much stayed to myself, other than attending most of the gatherings. I'm not unfriendly per se, but I do find it hard to be in groups of people. If I am, I'd much prefer to be invisible. :-/

I recently got a small (10ft) older trailer (82) that I'm modifying so it's more convenient for me. I'll start another thread to ask questions about that and share pics.

Cindi, thank you for revealing yourself, I know it isn't easy!

I'm always astounded by how many women are willing to be adventurous and go out on the road but the hubby isn't. I know many, many women just like you. You're fortunate your hubby is such a good guy!

Are you coming to this years RTR? I know you aren't real social, but would you consider leading a session on astronomy? It wouldn't be one of the main morning ones, it would be in the afternoon and probably just a few people would come--but you never know. The only reason I ask is because I would love to know more about it myself and it sounds like you enjoy sharing it. Astronomy is a really good hobby for RVers! I would especially like to know about astro-photography, but I don't know how many others would be.

Don't feel any obligation, it's just a thought.

I'm really glad to know who you are!!
Bob

Sign me up, what camera system is the tele adapted 4? first of all you may or may not remember me I was selling stuff close to the meeting area a few clicks away from Bob.
Good to have you out of the closet as it were. Welcome

Hi Cindi! A class in astronomy would go over well, in my opinion. :) And cute pup!! I have a rescue pooch myself. Going on 11 years and still working out her quirks. :D

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Hi Cindi, and Welcome to the forum!!

Yeah, I'd love to get educated on astronomy for someone who knows what they're talking about.
We always carried a cheap telescope in the RV back when the kids were young. We've always been a campfire family, and naturally while sitting around the fire, we stare into the night sky...so we bumped it up to the next level...kinda. :)
We especially love looking for shooting stars, and have watched the early August meteor shower many times, with great success!!!

What part of the country are you from?? Do you work??

Hello from the Oregon Coast!!

Welcome! Glad you joined in. Astronomy - Cool - wish I knew more. Tells us about your trailer. 10' sounds neat.

I am a bit of a rescue pup myself. Just started my 62nd year and still working on my quirks!!

Keep in touch and don't be a stranger (anymore!)

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! Bob, I am planning to attend RTR in January, and I'd be willing to talk a little about astronomy and astrophotography. I'm not an expert by any means, but I can certainly share how I take my pics and such and answer questions about telescopes and binoculars and such. I just play around with it and I'm happy to share what I know so anyone can take nighttime photos for very little outlay. I don't have an expensive setup...ok, it did cost some money, (I have a Nikon D7000) but compared to most in my astronomy club I'm an anomaly. I have a tracking mount, but like I said before, it's easier for me with just a plain tripod. But occasionally I'll play with the tracking mount and longer exposures. If you don't use a tracking mount or want to piggyback on a telescope you can take some pretty neat pictures with a point and shoot as long as it has manual settings.

What I would offer to do and what people might like more than or in addition to a lecture/class would be maybe after the fire circle, I could offer to let people look though my scope and I could point things out in the night sky with my laser pointer.

PastTense, I do plan to travel once I get the trailer fixed up. I'm going to Chaco Canyon for the autumn solstice. They have some astronomy stuff going on then too. I went there last year, but in October and it was FREEZING at night! Beautiful during the day though. I was in a tent so those nights were a challenge!

Our club has a mini star party in September, after the solstice, so I'll head on back for that. It's on land the club owns in the mountains near Gardner, CO so that's fun. Then after that, it's as often as the weather and funds will allow. Anywhere I go west or south involves mountain passes, so I don't want to be doing those with a trailer on ice or snow.

I like New Mexico and Arizona and my brother and SIL live in Phoenix, so I have a ready made excuse to travel there. My mother lives in Vancouver, WA so I'll probably be traveling up there at some point.

Technically I'm an RN, but I haven't worked in a hospital in around 10 years and the only way I could even if I wanted to (which I don't) now would be to take refresher courses. No way. I did own a business for around 5 years but it tanked along with the economy. It was a service business. I was a Lactation Consultant and ran a shop for bras and pumps and baby stuff along with the patient visits. Got burned out on that and bitter when the economy tanked and no one wanted to pay for help anymore. And doulas and midwives were offering lactation help as an added service to get more clients (after taking a 2 day class!) so there was no way to compete with that and the hospitals.

Sorry, TMI probably. I guess you could say I'm still trying to decide what I want to be when I grow up. I now know that nursing isn't it, nor business owner.

Anyway, thanks again for the warm welcome!

Cindi, grow up??? What's that???? I'm unfamiliar with that concept! Sounds subversive and unpleasant to me!!!! :)

I'm very, very excited to have you share about astronomy with us at the RTR!!

Chaco isn't very far from me and I've never been there. Maybe I'll go over there!

Bob

I like this thread... a lot. Astronomy and stargazing is a really interesting hobby. In a way its like birdwatching and nature photography in that it asks for patience and time.
I have enjoyed following these posts.

My wife & I were coming home from a movie some years ago, and the local astronomy club was set up in a downtown parking lot with their telescopes, letting folks take a look. 1 scope was nearly 6 feet tall and had a 10" diameter, and you had to stand on a stool to look into the eyepiece. Saturn and all her rings were all lit up...it was gorgeous!!! (and I had never seen Saturn through a scope before)

Turns out, that the guy running the club was the owner/president of Hardin Optical, who makes high-end telescopes and optical equipment for military use, and they're in the next small town down the coast from me. Dude really knew what he's doing.
I've had several visits with him since, and I've now seen the sun through a scope too.....now that was BITCHIN'!!!! :D

Sure hope I can be there for this!!

Don't feel bad about the career Cindi I'm 10 years into my second career as an electrician and now I'm wondering what I should do as my third one. A lot of us making it up as we go and wondering what we want to do when we grow up too.