Beginning a Big Road Camping/Living Trip

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldmtbiker

Reaction score
Hi, Old Mt Biker here, getting out of a house and mortgage soon.  Will go on a big road trip.  Like to see how it goes.  Have a list of places I want to see and then maybe decide if I will upgrade the camp system or not.  Current plan is travel in Subaru Outback with a good tail gate tent, wind wall etc.  Camp tables, coleman stove, cooler, Mt Bike & Back pack.  Will sleep in the car, which could be heated before crawling into sleeping bag.  I have vehicle camped on 2 week vacations for years as a kayaker.  But not as long as I am now planning.  I plan to hit National Parks, State Parks and historic sights for a month and a half, alternating from free BLM sites to full electric, WiFi and shower camps every 3 or 4 days or so.  I am starting from Central Oregon, bad timing I know, winter is coming soon but I plan to hit a few hot springs and a historic sight and then starting heading south.  My plan is to start out moving 2 to 3 hours driving each day for first 4 days, then 5 hours or so and back to 3 hrs average.  Plans are not intended to be tightly adhered to so we will see what adjustments take place.  Hope to be at South Rim Grand Canyon in late November and then south and west into Arizona. Maybe swing through Death Valley, Pahrump etc.  I will post off and on and report how my system works and what changes I find I have to make.  Take the road less traveled!  Old Mt Biker

Welcome to the CRVL forums Old Mt Biker! Sounds like a good plan! Let us know how it goes.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome to the CRVL forums Oldmtbiker!

Check out the tips and tricks to orient youself to the forums.

Well, you're in good stead with the Subaru Outback. I run a 2K WJ Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4, and a close friend has a Subaru Outback, We go place others only dream. It sounds like you have a great adventure planned, kudos!  :thumbsup:

Oldmtbiker said:
Hi, Old Mt Biker here, getting out of a house and mortgage soon.  Will go on a big road trip.  Like to see how it goes  

Welcome Old Mt Biker, Sounds exciting. Looking forward to reading about your experiences.

We did a 6 month trip in 2010 out west in a Honda Civic. We carried a 20 lb propane tank and a Coleman stove and a tent. We would camp at $20 a night places for water or free BLM land. Probably once a week we would stay in a hotel and use a hot plate for meals. We would have ice for a day, then on to canned goods while out in the boonies. You know, you may decide that you really like the life and don't want to go back. Have fun!!

Good luck on your journey, and I hope you enjoy this new chapter in your life.

But one place on your agenda may be difficult. Due to its high altitude, the South Rim of the Grand Canyon could be very cold in November. But the weather may still be good further south in Sedona, which has spectacular views.

VanForNow said:
...Due to its high altitude, the South Rim of the Grand Canyon could be very cold in November...

The forecast for next week has highs in the lower 60s, upper 50s with subfreezing overnight lows in the mid 20s. It'll be colder next month.

Dear OMB, if you're in central OR and heading south, might I suggest you pick up US 395 and head down through the eastern Sierra. It's one of my favorite roads and much more fun than say I-5, US 95, or whatever. There are I think three 8,000' passes on 395 and they will start getting snow along there soon, but the road will be clear between storms. Once you get to Bishop at 4,000', you're home free.

At Lone Pine on 395, you can cut over to Death Valley, which will still be comfortable even into the winter. From there Pahrump is just a couple hours drive. The North Rim of Grand Canyon closes in October, so that's out. If you go through Vegas and down US 93 to Kingman, it would be a cool side trip over to Oatman. Now you're in AZ, and world is yours for the taking, :). Have fun.

Welcome to the CRVL forums "biker"   :)

Why don't ya take a look at the bottom link in my signature lines below.   There is a video in it that shows the 70 degree weather migration throughout the year.   That may be a handy for you with winter nipping at your heels here in mid October.  I'd bet you could travel south down the coast of California in comfort

Happy travels.

Latest posts