Beds/Sleeping

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxLady

Reaction score
One topic I have yet to see on any of these forums is anything related to beds or sleeping apparatus.  Seems like it would be an important topic as good sleep is very important to good health.

So what do people do?  Use convertible couches or dinettes?  Insist on stay-in-place beds?  Multi-use apparatus that can be used as bed but doubles as couch or something else?  Memory foam pads, air mattresses, sleeping bags?  Full linens with fitted sheet, top sheet and blankets?  Or just throw the comforter down on the convertible couch and call it a bed?  Pajamas or outside/wearable comfy clothes for sleeping?  

How about dealing with outside noise?  How do you deal with a noisy campground?  White noise is useful for drowning out the little irritating noises around you but what if there's a square dance going on in the next campsite? 

Wine or other "medicinals" for assisting the sleep process?  How do you sleep if it's hot and you have no a/c?  Or likewise extremely cold and no heat?

Probably the most popular bed is to build a frame out of wooden beams with a plywood top, place some rubber foam camping pads as insulation atop that, then finish with a mattress. Add blankets and pillows, and you have a sleeping place that is not much different than an apartment bed. (Some van dwellers like to use inflatable air mattresses on their beds. These give pretty good insulation and add some warmth in the winter, but sadly, after trying a number of them, I never found one that didn’t pop a leak after a few months.)

Leaving one side of the frame open gives you under-bed storage. Some folks like to either add some plastic milk crates under the edge of the frame, or make the frame itself out of a layer of milk crates, which gives you lots of storage space under the bed.

Another option is the ole standby, the army cot. This has the advantage of being foldable when not in use. And there’s usually some storage space available underneath it.

Me, I prefer the simple route (and I don’t have very many things to store), so my “bed” is just a foam rubber pad rolled out onto the carpeted floor of the van, with a sleeping bag on top. If I wanted to, I could roll this up and store it every morning for more space, but since I’m generally not in the van anyway except to sleep at night, I usually leave it rolled open.

Spending one third of your life on your bed one would think that comfort should be the most important issue. I for one built my bed out of 2x4 framing, built high enough to slide several milk crates under. I also have room for my tool box again same height. The tool box is near what is now the head, but that will change depending on the slope of my parking. I bought a normal sized twin inter spring mattress (6" H), I placed a 3/4 piece of plywood on the frame for a posture board. I drilled 1 inch holes at several points to allow air to get to the mattress (let's it breathe).

I put a mattress cover, sheets (full set), on that I placed a twin blanket then a twin comforter. I got matching pillow cases one for my head & one for the king sized I place between my knees, helps the back. I placed the bed along the driver's side parallel to the solid side of my van. My van is for sleeping, probably nothing more, I do have a folding composite TV tray for my laptop but is folded & stored when not in use. I don't plan to live in it full time but I wanted a usable sleeping/privacy unit. All things besides sleeping will be done outdoors. Everything I purchased for the van with the exception of the bed & shelving unit are foldable & take up minimal space.

I'm a fair weather camper, move with the weather. One week in Ariz, next maybe in N Nevada, Idaho, Pacific coast or Montana. I will leave to the doors open during the day, then close them just before laying myself down to sleep. I fall asleep fast, can't hear so noise is not an issue.

My bed is very minimalist. A 2x4 cedar slat bed. Tall enough for storage underneath. I'm not dealing with a heavy mattress so I have a 3 inch Thermarest air mattress. Light and fast, no linens to bother with. The only luxury I allowed myself is my Thermarest pillow and bamboo fiber pillowcases.

So, it's a bed for one, sitting for two, storage on top during travel and during daytime at camp. More storage on the bottom.

Welcome to the forum TxLady. There have been may posts about beds. If you go to the top and click on forums, then come down a little and click on search, you can then type in bed and hit search at the bottom of that screen.

Basically there are two types of bed systems. Beds that are always there, and beds that either fold up or convert to something else like a couch. That would probably be your first decision. Then what size do you need. Some can be happy with a bed 24" wide, others need a twin or full size. A lot also depends how tall you are. A person 5"6" can sleep in a van from side to side. Taller people will probably want their bed from front to back so that they can make the bed longer. YouTube has many different build ideas. Just search for things like van bed, minivan camper, SUV camper etc.

Once you narrow down what type of bed will work for you, We can better help you find a design.

You need maximum flexibility in your sleeping system.  Some people use two sleeping bags.  A light one and a medium one.  If it gets really cold, they slip one inside the other to make a heavy bag.  In really warm weather, they sleep on top of both bags with only a sheet or light blanket for covering.  The bags provide extra padding in that case.

In hot weather, if you have no a/c a fan is very helpful, there are 12 volt ones that work very well.  You just need to make sure you have enough battery capacity to run it all night without killing your starting battery.  This is one of the reasons that people go for separate house batteries and solar panels.

Mosquitos and other pests.  If you haven't got adequate screening for the windows you need to leave open in hot weather, camping places like Cabellas and Gander Mountain  sell mosquito nets for their cots, which could be adapted to protect your bed.

Another option that some people use is a hammock:  Here's a link to one thread about that:

https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Hammock-as-a-bed?highlight=hammock

Since we are in an RV, we just bought a new mattress. The one that came with it was what I deem a "torture device"  :mad:  The new one has those individually wrapped coils and a pillow top. To me, it was worth every cent at $700 (and that's actually cheap for an RV mattress). Had to put money down, then pay it off a week later. It's like sleeping on a cloud.

I have a hard time sleeping with a lot of racket, but the current park we're in does have a quiet time between 11 pm and 7 am. Hasn't been a problem so far.

As far as cooling off, I also have one of those 02 Cool fans that runs on batteries, or you can use the cord and plug it in. Runs quite a long time on the batteries alone, and I'm happy with it. Found that at WalMart for about $25, including cord. It wouldn't help much here in the desert in July, but it would in other regions.

You didn't say if you are in a van or an RV.

DesertDweller said:
Since we are in an RV, we just bought a new mattress. The one that came with it was what I deem a "torture device"  :mad:  The new one has those individually wrapped coils and a pillow top. To me, it was worth every cent at $700 (and that's actually cheap for an RV mattress). Had to put money down, then pay it off a week later. It's like sleeping on a cloud.

I have a hard time sleeping with a lot of racket, but the current park we're in does have a quiet time between 11 pm and 7 am. Hasn't been a problem so far.

As far as cooling off, I also have one of those 02 Cool fans that runs on batteries, or you can use the cord and plug it in. Runs quite a long time on the batteries alone, and I'm happy with it. Found that at WalMart for about $25, including cord. It wouldn't help much here in the desert in July, but it would in other regions.

You didn't say if you are in a van or an RV.

Neither at the moment.  Doing my research in preparation for retirement.  Visiting RV shows and dealers, reading forums, etc.  My sister and her husband are full-timers, 33 ft. class A.  I have several cousins who are retired and full-timers in class C's.

It's always good to do a lot of research so you can narrow down what you're looking for. We're in a 34 ft class A, just got it two months ago and we love our little "condo on wheels"  :D

I built the bed in the van to accommodate not only my sleeping but storage as well.

Because I'm short I'm able to fit across the width of the van. When planning the layout I decided a twin size (38") would be fine as half of the double bed I'd been using in the apartment never needed to be made... :D

I'm using a 3" foam that is 'sofa' quality foam...less give and longer lasting than most 'bed' foams. I have an eggshell topper on top.

The bed is high enough to accommodate the Whynter 65 qt fridge unit. The bed section over it lifts up to allow access. The area over the passenger wheel well also lifts and is my laundry hamper. When it's full, it's time to do laundry... :D The leftover space at the drivers side and over the wheel well is 'deep storage' - things that I rarely need and extra food/supplies. A lift lid accesses that area. The back underside of the bed is open from the rear doors and is home to my 4 golf cart batteries.

Since I full-time in the van, I use a fitted sheet set and my old duvet off the S&B bed. It's a queen size duvet so when folded in half it's a perfect fit for on the twin bed. In warm weather I flip aside one layer of the duvet, in cooler weather both layers are ever so cozy. If it's really, really cold out, I've put a throw over top of the duvet.

IKEA Tarva double bed base, super reinforced with their best slats for the mattress base. Then we have on the sides, over the wheel wells, flat panels with hinges so we can use the areas for storage. We have a high top and I think the bottom of the bed is 39" off the floor. We use a folding step stool to get into the bed.

Hub and I are too old and arthritic not to have a dedicated, good bed.
Ted

Yeah, I'm pretty minimalist myself. I have a camp cot and my sleeping bag on it right now. I also have a Thermarest sleeping pad for when I choose to sleep on the van floor which is carpeted. I have 3 comforters and my pillows. I use totes to store my stuff which all fits just fine under the cot.

VanGrrl57 :)

right now my van still has the electric jackknife bed in it, that works, but isn't flat
I put a piece of plywood from my dirtbag setup in the Ranger on the seat and my cheapie 3" foam mattress on top of that
I could sleep on that (I could sleep on the jackknife, did it Monday night, just to try it out) and there's a lot of room under, so if i had good tires, i'd be ok to cam in it now lol

i set my van up so the storage is my bed- a couple large, sturdy plastic storage containers about 15"high by 24X30 as the base, with attached, hinged lids i made with plywood (each lid overhanging the edges of the plastic bin by about 3 inches, adding up to 72"), which is then the platform for my mattress, that i made by covering 72"X24"X4" dense foam with velcro-removeable fabric. heavy sleeping back on top of that, to sleep on or under depending on the weather. massive storage inside and between the bins, and super comfortable. for me, decadent sheets and pillows and blanket make van life as posh as any hotel. with the 24" wide bed i have, i was able to buy queen sheets and cut them in half, sew edges, and get two more than adequate sheets from one.

I’m another minimalist, a rug on top of the van factory rubber flooring and a Tri-Fold couch/mattress with 2 sleeping bags. Very comfortable.

ArtW said:
right now my van still has the electric jackknife bed in it, that works, but isn't flat
I put a piece of plywood from my dirtbag setup in the Ranger on the seat and my cheapie 3" foam mattress on top of that
I could sleep on that (I could sleep on the jackknife, did it Monday night, just to try it out) and there's a lot of room under, so if i had good tires, i'd be ok to cam in it now lol

That's the thing, most jackknife sofas are not level.  One side is higher than the other.  Then you have to top them with a pad to cover the crack and even out the surface a little.  :huh:

Mine seems to be highest in the middle, and to have a bar in a position where your hip can wind up on it, and uncomfortable, but get situated right, and you can sleep on it
Putting a sheet on it would help, as the material isn't very comfy, either
I had to sleep mostly 'across', not so easy at 6 feet tall, but I did manage, the night I tried it
I am very likely to remove it in favor of an actual bed or cot, but for now it's got a twin mattress size piece of 1/2 inch plywood laid across it, that I used to sleep in my truck. along with a yoga mat, cheap foam mattress, and I have a small Thermarest pad I could add to that, all from my build in the bed of my truck with shell
So far I've done no actual 'build out' and when I do mine will be minimal, so I have most of what I need already