Bedding in Prius

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theme57

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a 2013 Gen III Toyota Prius and was folding a full size foam topper as bedding. However I could feel some of the metal near the hinge and during hotter days would overheat a little. Would a 1/4 - 1/2 yoga mat work or would it be better to get a tri-fold memory foam single cot you put in RV's.

However, would there be another mat to sleep on that's lower profile. I was thinking of the REI 3.5in air mattress, but have never actually slept on one before. Any other suggestions for a low profile bedding setup? I have slept on 4 - 5 inch of memory foam on hard wood floors for 4 years now and don't mind a hard surface with a little cushion as long as it's an even surface.

Hi,

In my 2010, I use a Thermorest brand 3" self-inflating pad. It's a bit long for the car (I don't have a "v", just the sedan) however it works ok. The more cushioning/thickness you use, the less headroom so its a tradeoff. Since our Gen 3 Prius' don't have a flat floor and there's that gap between the passenger seat and the folded down 2nd row, there's that issue to deal with as well.

I've tried the cheap Walmart doubled up foam mattress toppers (for a regular bed) and they work but are way too bulky when stored. The Thermorest seems to squish down a lot better.

Search for "Prius" on the threads and then read up what others have done.

Theme57 said:
Hello everyone,

I have a 2013 Gen III Toyota Prius and was folding a full size foam topper as bedding. However I could feel some of the metal near the hinge and during hotter days would overheat a little. Would a 1/4 - 1/2 yoga mat work or would it be better to get a tri-fold memory foam single cot you put in RV's.

However, would there be another mat to sleep on that's lower profile. I was thinking of the REI 3.5in air mattress, but have never actually slept on one before. Any other suggestions for a low profile bedding setup? I have slept on 4 - 5 inch of memory foam on hard wood floors for 4 years now and don't mind a hard surface with a little cushion as long as it's an even surface.

I have a blow up camping mattress and a sleeping bag.  I turn the sleeping bag inside out and then put the blow-up mattress inside the sleeping bag.  The mattress is about 75% inflated.  By turning the sleeping bag inside out I am sleeping on the more comfortable side of the bag.  The mattress tends to keep my body removed from the lumps.  I find this combination to be very comfortable.

I use a 4 inch foam mattress that is 27 inches wide and 72 inches long that I got from an RV camper that was given to me. Then i have two one inch foams pads that I lay on that. I then use a sleeping bag rated for 15 degrees as the finally piece.

mdoverl said:
I use a 4 inch foam mattress that is 27 inches wide and 72 inches long that I got from an RV camper that was given to me. Then i have two one inch foams pads that I lay on that. I then use a sleeping bag rated for 15 degrees as the finally piece.

How much clearance does this give you from your body to the top of the vehicle?

This world isn said:
In my 2010, I use a Thermorest brand 3" self-inflating pad.

Can you advise on picking out a self inflating pad? I just discovered these and I need something for tent camping and then maybe for use in my RV when I get on the road. My hammock stand plan isn't working and I hate air mattresses.

ChickadeeJP said:
Can you advise on picking out a self inflating pad? I just discovered these and I need something for tent camping and then maybe for use in my RV when I get on the road. My hammock stand plan isn't working and I hate air mattresses.

I wouldn't use a self inflating if in a Prius.  You have plenty of electrical power in a prius so you can just use a regular camping air mattress.  I would NOT fill up the mattress 100% or you will still feel lumps. 

I use a self-inflating air mattress inside of a sleeping bag turned inside out.  That way it feels like a normal mattress.  I inflate the 'self inflating' sleeping pad about 70%.  It's purpose is to simply smooth out any underlying lumps so that the part of the sleeping bag on top of the mattress is pretty much non-lumpy. 

My problem with the 'slef-inflating' pads is that the intake valve is at one end while the exhaust is at the other.  This makes it difficult to adjust the air pressure inside the mattress.  I'd prefer to just use an air pump and a traditional camping air mattress.  That way I could deflate the mattress just a bit, fold it up, raise the seat, and be able to hide the fact that I am car camping when I go into town.

A self inflating thermarest is what I would use in any vehicle I was sleeping in. We are all different in our choices : ).

mpruet said:
I wouldn't use a self inflating if in a Prius.

I'm not in a prius. I won't have plenty of electricity as I will be car camping and I hate the traditional camping air mattresses, that's why I'm looking for alternatives.