Bed Platform – Diorama Concept

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reset.Suzette

Reaction score
In a nutshell I want to do A but I always see B...
xRMp6xI.jpg

I'm wondering if it's just a 'it's what fit' issue or if there is a reason to do the wood slats in a certain direction due to comfort or structural issues...

My plan is as follows:
zKnbIfr.jpg

AnqZiqp.jpg

ttVokha.jpg

3wbbd1v.jpg

BXACZJa.jpg

66HNLwk.jpg

qbeVwTJ.jpg

7iuqW7U.jpg

HqDJVBA.jpg

Either way I should have a good amount of storage under the bed I can access when the bed is in couch mode.

I used FREE paint swatches to color code things and make them ‘pretty’ –
Brown is wood
White is basically just the mattress

Light Gray is chloroplast (corrugated plastic shelves and bins – light weight in mind)
Then you have things that are black which represent ‘scaled objects’ – for example my lap top and my nutria blender near the front. The entire model is to scale: 1’ = ½” but I’m off a hair in some places so I figured I’d insert some visual items in black as close to scale as possible to add some realism for comparison.

If you’ve been so kind to review thus far, please post answers to the following or constructive critism:
1.       Any ideas for a very comfortable but UNDER 6” thick mattress that is preferably waterproof?
2.       Does anyone with a similar pull out platform have any tips for building it or ease of use / installation?
3.       Any ideas how I can get the fold up bed part (which turns into a chair and the desk slides back to accommodate me sitting with my legs stretched towards the window) to stay stationary?

For question 3, there are mechanisms used in some European style sofa beds. You pull up until it catches, then you pull forward again to release the catch. Or you could use some sort of strut rod. That might be awkward to use while trapped between the "chair back", desk and roof.

Hi Suzette and welcome.

Very creative use of priority mail boxes there... and well done, too.  If I may ask, what is your vehicle?

What board dimensions are you contemplating?  The slats have to be strong enough to bear the load. Turning boards on edge improves their load capacity and allows for narrower spacing which could also improve load capacity. 

Do you have spots on each side of the van to affix strong holders to pop in a closet rod across at the right spot for your backrest?  If not, loop-ended cabling hooked from bed frame to back door framing might work. Either way, the seat section of the mattress and/or frame may want to slide a bit in the direction of the back door, and this may be remedied with a stop of some sort there.

Have you checked out the slatted flexible bed frames that roll out and rest on ledgers? If I had a narrow van I might look into that.  Your design looks like it might accommodate ledgers.  This looked like a feasible DIY project, too.

I have a mattress that I bend up to make a sofa back.  It is foam and I cut only part way through on the underside so that the top remains one piece.  I don't know about a waterproof mattress except to encase one, but I've heard that creates a moisture problem in the bedding above.

Sassy

***Just my thoughts, I'm no pro***

My bed slides out like that. I used 1x3's laid flat and they have been supporting my 250 lb frame just fine for the last several years. Just make sure you find pieces without big knots.

I tried a bunch of mattresses at Ikea and the thinnest that was at all comfortable was their 6" thick one. I really don't think I'd go thinner.

How are you going to get into your couch when the back is up, blocking it off from the rest of the van? Why not have it against the back doors instead of facing them?

dont know about the bed but your models are awesome,too cool

Good input. Thanks all!
Per some questions above: it would be a standard Astro/Safari passenger van.
The reason im arranging it this way where the fold up blocks off the back is I like to look out the window or stare out open doors.
The way I have it there would be exactly 1 inch gap between the ceiling and the fully folded up mattress to allow air flow- that and on the sides where there is a flat surface.

The questions and comments I didnt reply to made me think of other ways to do this and I thank you for that!

Instead of having a section of the bed tilt up, how about making a fabric sling that clips from wall to wall?

Good luck and keep us posted. This will be a fun build to follow. I love a good view, too! Sassy

Nice layout but have you realized that if you're putting all that in to an Astro/Safari that you've only got about 7 feet between where you have the wall between the seats and the back door.

Lay that amount of space out on the floor in your living room and then figure out how small a space it actually is.

I thought when I first saw your layout that you were working on plans for a full size cargo van where you've got several feet more to work with.

Continuing - I think I'm going to have to lower the bed plat form some iniches but we shall see- i was intending to put my battery box towards the back under the bed which has the desk portion above and a nice big pull out clothing drawer accessible from the front but I need enough room to sit up strait which has me thinking I may have to lower the platform base - I digress...

I need a solid backing to this fold piece to support me when I lean back so fabric or anything flimsy isn't an option. 

As for the 7 feet in the back cargo space, I measured the safari version and then did some calculating online with the assumption of where my bulkhead would fit if I did an insulated cusome one and I got around 92"s or 7 feet and 6 inches which is what this diagram is based on length wise. I think it will all fit...

width-front.jpg

Attached please see various top downto side views with the bed layer down - be is about 6 ft by 3ft and a quarter

Attachments

• 2016-11-28 12.14.26.jpg
    2016-11-28 12.14.26.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 2016-11-28 12.14.40.jpg
    2016-11-28 12.14.40.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 2016-11-28 12.14.11.jpg
    2016-11-28 12.14.11.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 4
My slide out bed in my old camper used 1x3s I do believe, with a sheet of ply over them, and held me and another large person just fine, even when we were being frisky