Bed designs

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oberneldon

Reaction score
I saw this bed design on Facebook Woodworking Ideas (Home and Garden)

I wonder how this design my be helpful for Van designs.

34c173c7d4c3e62df0f14d42ca8e0bda.jpg

Neat concept but I don't think it's too practical for van use.

First, the set-up and retract time would be a pita. Open lid, insert A into B, C in to D, unload slats and set aside, pull to full length, build bed base.... :rolleyes:  

It looks like it would be nice for a piece of furniture for use in an apartment where you need the occasional guest bed and don't want to use a convertible sofa.

The way the sides slide out you'd have a real problem dealing with the wheel wells in a van.

The last impediment to van use - where does the mattress store when not in use.

Everyone is different, but I'd sleep on the ground outside before I would do that twice a day every day for the rest of my life!

I use pillows to make a seat on my bed every day and making the bed and putting the pillows in place is almost more than I can cope with!! :p
Bob

It is based off of classic " campaign furniture". Not meant for daily set up/ dismantle. It was from an article by former editor of popular woodworking Chris Schwarz . The theory is cool, that your bed space could be free space during the day.. But constantly moving things to set up and breakdown would get old fast I'm sure in a van. I would prefer a well p
Laid out bed with amazing storage built in.

I lived in a 15' 1985 Winnebago for a while. I slept on the fold down dinette, and just moving the cushions and dropping/raising the table every day was too much of a pain.

I agree with the group here, it may not seem that bad to set up once, but it will get bad quick if you have to do it 2x per day.

Krenov72 said:
It is based off of classic " campaign furniture". Not meant for daily set up/ dismantle. It was from an article by former editor of popular woodworking Chris Schwarz . The theory is cool, that your bed space could be free space during the day.. But constantly moving things to set up and breakdown would get old fast I'm sure in a van.

Lets remember that ordinary soldiers didn't get "campaign furniture".  It was privately purchased by OFFICERS, who had an orderly to deal with setting it up and breaking it down.

It was, in effect, an early form of "glamping".

Regards
John

And it didn't get taken down every day. That would be very nice for a guest room/whatever, though.