Bears!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kapp

Reaction score
I have been camping in a tent since May 13TH. I know there are bears in the area, but I have seen no signs of them. I have been careful about cooking close to the tent and no food in the tent. I have basically been buying food, cooking it and eating it. No coolers, no leftovers. I heard the flock of geese making a bunch of noise during the night. They woke me up. I didnt get up, but laid there and listened, then went back to sleep. I awoke this morning to bear tracks through out my camp. The lead up from the river and off to the woods on the other side. They circled around my cooler that had nothing but beer, pop and ice, although it has had food in it in the past. I pick up my camper on Tuesday, so I guess I will be sleeping in the aveo until then.

In the NFS campground where I camped a few days ago there was fresh bear scat on the trail every morning and there was a sign posted warning of a bear in the area. I've seen several bears in my back yards over the years but never [yet] in my campsite or on the trail. That said, I do take my bear spray with me on hikes.

Bears are pets where I live!

Have a marshmallow sweetie!

17855_103005066394751_5890042_n.jpg

Okay, you can have your pets, I will have my aveo. ;)

Bob, you watch out for everyone, dont you? Someday I will meet you in person. Until then, I will just say thank you for all that you do.

Kapp, thank you for your kind post!!

Don't tell anybody, but actually I am a horrible know-it-all who is just showing off!! :)

I hope that's not true, but sometimes I fear it is.
Bob

Are we taking brown, black or grizzly bear? I've seen plenty black bear but never the other kind. One time at my almost ex-house I came out the front door and there were five or six bears. The big momma run one direction, one or two big cubs run in different directions and the little cubs went up the trees. Soon after I learned not to store my garbage containers outside in a flimsy Rubbermaid shed, but inside the garage.

Is it safe to leave your garbage inside? Camper, tt etc? What about dogs, would that be a plus or minus? Kapp, glad you didn't have any problems, would make me nervous.

I carry my little bit of trash out with me. The campground has no dumpsters for that very reason. There are black bears around here. I took pics of the tracks on the wet sand near the river, but they didnt come out too well.

akrvbob said:
Three things to have on hand in bear country:

1) Bear Spray
2) Whistle
3) Air horn

Bob

You forgot jelly donuts. Bears really like jelly donuts.

Kapp said:
I carry my little bit of trash out with me. The campground has no dumpsters for that very reason. There are black bears around here. I took pics of the tracks on the wet sand near the river, but they didnt come out too well.

Want a fun craft to do Kapp? Make plaster castings from the animal tracks.
Get a box of plaster, costs a few bucks.
Get ziplock bags and put about a cup of dry plaster in however many bags you want to carry. I carry a plastic cup or 2 and a table knife to stir the plaster when I have found the track I want to cast. If you aren't near a water source, of course you will need to carry some water. The little kit you make up is really not that heavy.
I make the cast then come back a few hours later. If done in mud, the casting will still be fragile so bring something ridged to place your cast on until it drys.
If casting bear, don't leave a jelly donut in your pocket.
Dragonfly

Well, looks like I am stuck sleeping in the aveo. Went to pick up the dodge and didnt make it too far. It overheated and the front brake stuck. Wonder why it didnt happen when I test drove it. It is a5 a mechanics shop. I will probably have him go ahead and change everything that needs changed in order to make it as good as it can be. Tune up, change belts, tires etc.

dragonflyinthesky, what a great idea!! For sure I would have made a plaster cast of this one in Seward, Alaska:

seward-bear-paw.jpg

My experienced hunting buddy has been teaching my about animal tracks on our hunting lease. I can now tell Raccoon, Coyote, Hog, Deer and Bear. Coyotes ad Dogs are recognizably different.
We have a big male black bear, a smaller male and a female usually with a couple cubs. In my four yeas on this lease I have yet to actually see any of them, just game camera pics.

I dont know if its true, but I have read that LLamas(the Furry ones not the Buddhist ones:) will keep bears away. I considered getting pack LLamas once and still kinda like the idea. Also ,another tidbit. Apparently bears hate digeridoo music. Maybe if I practiced more :)?

Latest posts