Bear safety?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We just returned from camping up in Gila Forest above Silver City. We seen one bear cub from a distance. Other than that, all the times we go up there we have seen plenty of reminders of bears being around but have never seen one close by. We left Friday before all the people got into the forest for the holiday weekend and with all the stereos and gun practice going on already Friday afternoon I bet there is not a bear within 2 miles of any forest service road this weekend.

Putts said:
Yeah, there are bears there. But seriously, I've camped all over Montana and mostly just made sure my tent was 200 yards away from the coolers and cook camp, or I was in a Forest Service cabin with the coolers inside. Other than that one night I never felt unsafe.

Being an Easterner, my bear encounters have all been with Black Bears while hiking--mostly on the Appalachian Trail.  

I too never felt unsafe. In the US, roughly two people per year are killed by bears. You have much better odds of becoming a millionaire by winning the lottery. While common-sense precautions are always a good idea, the actual risk is very very low. 

It does seem that newbie backpackers and campers have a disproportionate fear of bears and poisonous snakes--neither of which they are ever likely to actually encounter.  It reminds me of newbie van-dwellers who pee their pants about serial killers or something and want to pack a shotgun and two baseball bats in the van, even though the odds of anything actually happening are remote.

John61CT said:
Yes, funny how all the super-duper common risky stuff we're totally blase about, but get all stressed about the things that really in effect "never" happen. I guess the rarity adds to the scary factor.

Indeed. Statistically, the most dangerous part of living in a vehicle, by far, is .... driving it.  One is far more likely to die in a simple traffic accident while driving to the campsite than being eaten by a bear or killed by an intruder or bitten by a snake or any of the other things that newbies pee their pants about.

Lots more likely to be killed by your elected representatives

Putts said:
I think a lot of the preceding posts about being where noisy humans are is good advice.

The only time I actually felt scared was when I camped in a tent near the Beartooth. Somewhere around here maybe. Oddly enough, I had just posted this picture in another thread. This was the morning I knew I woke up un-eaten. That's the Beartooth in the background.

(Photo went here)

Yeah, there are bears there. But seriously, I've camped all over Montana and mostly just made sure my tent was 200 yards away from the coolers and cook camp, or I was in a Forest Service cabin with the coolers inside. Other than that one night I never felt unsafe.

Odds are way worse that the semi tire is going to blow right next to you and take you out through the drivers door window.  Just say'in.

That's my point of view. Never had feverish fear of bears, just use common sense. Been through Ystone dozens of times, my fave National Park. Only entrance I have not used is the Beartooth.

Now that I see that spectacular photo I'll make sure to take that route next time I'm there. My closest friends live nearby, so no need to van camp in prime bear habitat!

Kathleen said:
Now that I see that spectacular photo I'll make sure to take that route next time I'm there. 

DON'T miss the Beartooth highway from Cook City to Red Lodge. Many consider it the most beautiful road in America. Only guaranteed to be open July and Aug...and even then you might run into some crazy weather.

Putts said:
DON'T miss the Beartooth highway from Cook City to Red Lodge. Many consider it the most beautiful road in America. Only guaranteed to be open July and Aug...and even then you might run into some crazy weather.

After seeing that pic I'm going. Friends live near Red Lodge. I take Canadian snow boots and winter gear when I head to WY/MT in summer. Good reminder re July/Aug travel dates on the Beartooth.

I got myself into a pickle one year in the Big Horns en route to the Medicine Wheel at 10k.

Was early June. Wheel is not officially open til July 21. No fun when I met deep snow field on that cliff hanger of a road. Wildlife never scared me, but my heart was pounding as I inched round so I could crawl back down that narrow dirt lane.

My buddy Paul and I know the only safe time to plan a backcountry vacation is the last two weeks of July and the first week of August. Outside that, all bets are off. Oh, and high country Forest Service roads around here don't open (mostly) until June 15th due to plentiful snow banks up high.

I reckon you'll dig the hell out of that road. Try to avoid Billings though...it's a fairly ugly place. Here's a nice drive.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Col...63ccdcc50!2m2!1d-109.0565308!2d44.5263422!3e0

Putts said:
My buddy Paul and I know the only safe time to plan a backcountry vacation is the last two weeks of July and the first week of August. Outside that, all bets are off. Oh, and high country Forest Service roads around here don't open (mostly) until June 15th due to plentiful snow banks up high.

I reckon you'll dig the hell out of that road. Try to avoid Billings though...it's a fairly ugly place. Here's a nice drive.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Col...63ccdcc50!2m2!1d-109.0565308!2d44.5263422!3e0

My old stomping grounds. Traveled there long before Billings got so darned big and ugly. Used to sit on the Rimrock at the airport and look over the town, imagining feathered headdresses and roaming herds.

Spent lots of time in Cody, Wapiti, Paradise Valley. Will be great when my van build is done and I'm ready to hit the road again. June 1 is my fave day to head north. The grass is emerald green and the water's running high.

Thanks for the map link.

Putts said:

Hey, I had a good time in Billings. There's some interesting stuff to see around there.

:)

Kathleen said:
 long before Billings got so darned big and ugly

Hah, it's not hard to tell that you folks are Westerners.  ;)

lenny flank said:
Hah, it's not hard to tell that you folks are Westerners.  ;)

Love that Jersey Turnpike!! :dodgy: Driving in Manhattan is a blast too.

Question about containers: If I'm car camping, will pretty much any air-tight container do the job inside the vehicle? Air-tight means smell-tight, yes?

If you cook in your vehicle you turn it into a smelly goldmine. when you open that air tight container in there you release more.

Sounds like the best move would be for me to eat my dinner, brush teeth, etc, at some point along the way to my final destination. Get out of the car to do all this stuff, seal everything up for the night, and then travel to the actual campsite to sleep.

Weeing during the "wee hours" might pose a challenge. Go in an airtight jar, I guess?

Overestimating the risk.

You're imagining a huge grizzly opening up your roof like a can of sardines aren't you?

Driving to the park is far more dangerous.

The sensible precautions have been outlined above and in the linked threads.

I agree with John61CT, serious bear encounters are very rare: average ~ 10 a year.  If you are concerned, talk to rangers or sheriffs from the area.  They will know of any problems and what precautions you need to take.

Urine is not a bear attractant.

-- Spiff

funny

I did something similar with NYC nightlife as a teen :cool:

Latest posts