Bay Area: Council rejects restrictions on RV campers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travelmonkey

Reaction score
And once more, the most commonly cited objection to the RV campers is that they dump their shit on the streets (literally).

As always, it is a handful of dumbasses who cause all the problems for the rest of us.

lenny flank said:
And once more, the most commonly cited objection to the RV campers is that they dump their shit on the streets (literally).

As always, it is a handful of dumbasses who cause all the problems for the rest of us.

Well then Lenny, how would you handle it? I am curious I feel the RV dwellers want the easy living without the costs and I agree they need to "Pay their way" but how shall they do it?

The problem is the RVer's living on the street are blatant about it. When I lived in San Diego in a class A, I only parked at dusk in an inconspicuous place (and rotated spots every night) where it would not bring attention to me, areas not traveled by traffic much and I left early every morning. I made sure my RV looked decent and didn't have items like large pieces of plywood over windows or missing covers. I spent the day in public spaces like beaches and parks. I kept my appearance neat and clothes clean. I never grouped up with other Rvs.
At night I did nothing that would make someone think I was living in the RV such as light or sound.

BTW the YouTuber Will Prowse has some great tips for Bay Area RV Living

^^^^^^^^^^ Yes to this.

When urban camping, attracting attention to oneself or to one's vehicle is ALWAYS a bad idea.

We live under the radar.

If you're not up to reading a windy diatribe, skip to the last sentence ... it's really all you need to know! :)

My ex worked in a medical facility that catered, ... well, not catered ... more like "was relegated" ... to folks without incomes.  Many were living on the streets of the Greeley/Ft. Collins, Colorado area.  It gets cold there.  -20F is not unheard of.

One of her [my ex's] patients had been into the facility several times over the course of her tenure there.  Each time he was admitted, it was for frost bite and a resulting amputation.  He had lost both feet and one hand based on my last update regarding this particular individual.  He was one of the [many] patients that was living on the streets and had no income to speak of.  He got frostbite from exposure ... no place warm to escape to.

Each time he was in, there was the cost of [multiple] surgery[ies] (no clue how many $$$ but I'm sure it wasn't cheap) and many months of physical therapy to train him how to live with another missing hand or foot.  For the sake of discussion, let's say that the services he received on taxpayer dollars was about $100,000.  I don't know, but that sounds like an underestimate to me based on what I used to pay doctors and hospitals.  ...???...

How much would it cost to create a simple 100 square foot, heated space with a bed, toilet and fresh water?  Convert a prison?  Or ... ?

People do whatever they do MOSTLY, not always, because they have no other recourse, or are cognitively challenged, or some other circumstance.  I think if folks living in "certain lifestyles" had access to toilets, most of them would use them.  I think many of the remainder could be trained/convinced to use them ... the rest would probably look a lot less like "rogue RVers".

The main push back I get from folks when I have discussions on this topic with them is that they just can't stand for someone to get something for nothing.  It irks the "H" "E" "Double Toothpicks" out of them.  The extreme opponent would rather see a person die than let them "get away with it!"

Having worked ... well, that implies that I got paid ... volunteered ... in places that helped folks like the above, I have to say that I would not want the vast majority of them to be in the work force ... I don't want them making my Big Macs, I don't want them cutting my hair [assuming I ever cut it again! :D], I certainly don't want them in a medical role of any sort ... they don't have the necessary attitude, skills, or some other shortfall that, frankly, would concern me if they were producing something that I consumed, be it services or products.

I confess that maybe I just have too much grace and compassion for living beings, no matter their circumstances ... mostly [there are some exceptions].  And, I haven't the ability to understand someone who would rather let a living being die when there are better [maybe even cheaper] options ... just because their pride won't let them.  Sad.

Was I ranting?  I didn't mean to ... but it is something I am passionate about.  Sorry.

Short of it is: "Create adequate and accessible public toilets, then folks wont poop on the street."

Wanderer said:
Well then Lenny, how would you handle it? 

I am not sure it CAN be "handled". There will always be dumbasses who do dumbass things. I'm not aware of any way to stop dumbasses from being dumbasses.

And sadly the rest of us will continue to pay for a handful of people being dumbasses.

My family lives on Continental, shown in that photo.  I have walked that street a number of times.  Never saw sewage or trash there.  Some of the RVs were pretty run down, some were nice.  A few had solar.  During the past year, I visited four times and most of them were the same ones and hadn't moved an inch.

My daughter thinks it's a cool lifestyle and has no complaints, or else she doesn't say anything to me because ... Well... I live in an RV.

Interesting article.  I will send her the link.  Thanks.

Itripper said:
The problem is the RVer's living on the street ... etc.

A lot of the RV dwellers in Silicon Valley have jobs. Some of them full time, some two part-time jobs. They can't go hanging out somewhere. Housing costs are so high that people with five-figure incomes can't afford anything.

Housing costs where those RVs are parked...

2 bedroom apt, 1000+/- SF = $3,300+/month plus electricity and water. That's over $40,000 a year!  **choke**

Maybe a major reason people head that way, besides for work, is the weather. One would be pretty comfy there.

Nice place to visit, etc.  I fly out there every few months to spend time with my grandsons.  Not my choice, we had more fun and better times when they were close and could come to my RV out in the country, walking in the woods, splashing around and throwing rocks in the river, searching for the perfect stick to poke the campfire. Sigh. Not much fun to have them come to visit me in my RV parked on a city street.

People do what they have to.  I wonder if they're happy?

I'm surprised anyone would be surprised.

I grew up on the upper east side of Manhattan and worked in SV, living in Sunnyvale and San Jose. In those sort of "hotspots" 3000+ per month for a decent 2-bedroom has been the norm for a very long time.

In those circumstances on $150,000 a year, you have to choose between a middle class lifestyle on the one hand, and putting savings away or paying debts off on the other.

Landlords do very well of course.

MrNoodly said:
A lot of the RV dwellers in Silicon Valley have jobs. Some of them full time, some two part-time jobs. They can't go hanging out somewhere. Housing costs are so high that people with five-figure incomes can't afford anything.

There are RV parks in Silicon Valley that charge $1000 a month for a space. There are a LOT of RV parks in Silicon Valley area, just google them.  $1000 a month is a reasonable fee for that area assuming you have a job there that requires you to be nearby.

$1000 seems low for the bay area but I've never down a real search. The one I found is Trailer Villa and it looks nice but it is right off Hwy 101. $525/wk. It says to call for monthly rates, which I'm certainly not going to do... I'd guess close to $1800/mo. That seems crazy expensive and I've lived here all my life...