Batteries Installed

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadget728

Reaction score
Well folks, I asked 3 people to help me get the most important (to me) things done to my van before Jan. 8 2017. One completely failed, another helped a little, then dropped out. Then there is George the Napa guy. He worked on my front end 2 times, both times called for lots of parts and he did the work in his driveway in not so warm weather. 

Friday afternoon, he saw my batteries were still not installed and he asked if I wanted help on Sat. after NAPA closed at 2 pm. He knew what I wanted done and had ordered in some extra wire, lugs and heat shrink tubing on Friday. About 2:30 Sat. we started in on it. 

First we made up the wires for the series/parallel battery config. Then we installed my Iota charger and got it to charging the batteries. Next, he hooked up my fuse panel and got juice to my 12v fridge & TV. The big part of the job was going to be the solenoid wiring from the front of the van to the back. We had removed the non working AC unit from the back of the van right after I bought it, but left the AC lines and control wiring under the van. We spent about an hour removing all that unused stuff which cleared a way to send the large wire from the front to the back. 

We had worked diligently, not even stopping for supper. We shared some jerky a buddy of mine brought down to me for my trip. It was getting on to 10:00 pm, and we were both tired, but decided to go ahead and get the solenoid and fuse mounted up front, then string the big wire and get all the crimps done while we had the tools and use of a warm shop.

George had ordered in good quality wire, professionally crimped and used a heat gun to heat shrink every connection. Any wire that was under the hood or under the vehicle was put into wire loom and clamped to the body. It came out better than I could ever have hoped for. 

We were both pooped and called it a night about 11:30 pm. The one wire left to hook up is the switched power wire for the solenoid, and we're doing that today after it warms up a bit. 

George knows how little I can do with my hands right now, he is also aware of my stubborn ways and that I wasn't going to beg anyone for anymore help. He knew if I had to I would load up 2 of my batteries and my generator so I could southern engineer enough wiring together to make my fridge work and make it to the RTR. He stepped up and selflessly did all the work needed, plus some.  I cannot thank him enough, I tried. This trip might not have happened without all of the work he did and I truly owe him.

Thank goodness for George! I'm glad someone went above and beyond you you. I remember what a hassle the other guys was.

One heck of a friend to have. Glad you got it done and are coming.