bathroom conversion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
desert_sailing said:
Do you recall the brand of doggie pool you have?
This is essentially the one I have:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/392876071708 Is it similar to what you ordered?  I opted for the side drain plug, which I thought might be helpful.  The form factor is great for our needs, but I do have some concerns about durability.  I will be using it outside, so have to be more careful about floor punctures.  We'll see!

I havent ordered the dog pool yet. I did see a couple options with the side valve which is great and the ad saying thick pvc bottom. I hope my definition of thick is close to theirs as it gave no mil.

I posted a video on the pine pellet bedding material/litter.  I figured I would try a bucket medium other than peat moss and cedar chips. The pellets are about a half hour away one direction...not going to do that.  So while at the local walmart I saw a cat litter that uses pulverized corn fiber. I bought a bag  of it..around 7 bux.

https://www.armandhammer.com/en/cat...als/naturals-clumping-litter-double-duty-9-lb

No idea if this will give me what I am looking for but a bucket and bag is not sufficient (for me). Any of you try this?

While roaming the aisles of wally today I came across this great ottoman/storage cube. It had a weight rating of 250 pounds and is 15 inch square.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Ultra-Collapsible-Storage-Ottoman-Multiple-Colors/46271147

If I had seen this before paying for a box construction I would have picked this up. I don't  think it would fit a regular 5 gal. but there are many other sized buckets that would make this a nice portapotty.

I got a bit of chuckle off the ad saying "This discreet ottoman doesn't even look like a storage unit - your house guests will never know what's inside!"

In other news I am trying to make my box a bit more fun. I am not nearly the artist as some here.. sooo... I am trying to have some fun.
I am gonna buy/make some stencils and go NW psychedelic on this.  Still a work in progress.. obviously. Picked up rollers to remove the brush marks and get some nice even coats. I am glad to have a bit of a night light because with the black out curtains up and the lights off it is "6 feet under" black.

Attachments

• box.jpg
    box.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 2
  • seat.jpg
    seat.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 2
bullfrog said:
I used a water heater catch pan as I was able to find one with a almost 2” lip...
That water heater pan is what I use too, less than 10 dollars.  To wash hair, I use a dishpan inside the water heater pan, and easy to dump out.

To waterproof your wooden tub, DS, I would go with the fiberglassing. Simple process of saturating the fiberglass fabric strips with epoxy resin mixture and pressing in place, smoothing the surface. A lot like making papier mache.  If you leave it rough it will hurt, so smooth it. Polyurethane is also a waterproofer but may leak when the corners flex. You should polyurethane any wood floors or they will mold. 

Easiest way to empty the tub will be with a drain hole out the bottom piped into your grey tank. Unless you have hookups, you will not have much water in the tub, so draining with a towel might work. I always keep some old towels in the van for bathing spillage. 

Your project reminds me of the old time wooden tubs. I would take out the divider to have more room in there. I use an old soft sided cooler bag for toiletries etc, its easy to move or take to a public shower, lots of zipper pockets to put things in. A ziplock bag will keep your TP dry.
-crofter

desert_sailing said:
While roaming the aisles of wally today I came across this great ottoman/storage cube. It had a weight rating of 250 pounds and is 15 inch square.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Ultra-Collapsible-Storage-Ottoman-Multiple-Colors/46271147
It doesn't say what it's actually made of, except fabric is "[font=BogleWeb,]Polyurethane/Polyvinyl Chloride, 40% Faux Leather". The assembly instructions show it "folds" out, so it's probably fabric-covered cardboard. Oof. Probably absorb and retain the "smells" ad infinitum.[/font]

crofter said:
Your project reminds me of the old time wooden tubs. 
I know you really want to hear this d_s, but I know where there is a wooden potti box like you built sitting under a tree in Scaddan Wash. Some SOB left it there, right about here (in case yours breaks, lol).
33.662251, -114.176801

desert_sailing said:
....Do any of you have a similar shytter hidden under a chair? ...
A common practice in tent camps is to cut a hole in a folding chair and put the bucket underneath, TP goes in the cup holder. Cost about 8 to 10 dollars for the folding chair.

Usually these chairs get tossed in the dumpster after a while as hard to clean. Easier to clean if you waterproof the seat before using.
-crofter

Qxxx said:
It doesn't say what it's actually made of, except fabric is "[font=BogleWeb,]Polyurethane/Polyvinyl Chloride, 40% Faux Leather". The assembly instructions show it "folds" out, so it's probably fabric-covered cardboard. Oof. Probably absorb and retain the "smells" ad infinitum.[/font]
Thanks for the additional research on that. You are probably right  about absorption.

Thanks for the input bullfrog but I got rid of the big box thing lonng ago. It was monstrous. I could have made it more functional but would have been much more work than I wanted. The entire redo after redo was exhausting and costly. I ended up with just the plain box.which is glowing... as a 5 gal bucket holder. The box will sit in a collapsible dog pool about 4 feet in diameter with a side drain. I have 2 shower curtains with velcro strips to the ceiling.

Hopefully I am done now with the bathroom but wont know til i get to use it... yikes..

crofter said:
Are you sure that isn't a vault toilet?
I camped there. There are no vault toilets in Scaddan Wash that I know of. It's Boondocker Central, Quartzsite.

desert_sailing said:
If I had seen this before paying for a box construction I would have picked this up.

I got a bit of chuckle off the ad saying "This discreet ottoman doesn't even look like a storage unit - your house guests will never know what's inside!"

In other news I am trying to make my box a bit more fun.
I suspect you'll be much happier with your sturdy, purdy box!  (That description is a hoot in this context!)

"bathtub" arrived today. It is a perfect fit. I think this is the 47inch version and I will have plenty of room. I love how the drain sits over the step from the side of the rig. It will be super easy to drain..I hope and being over the step I can push the tub down a bit so to get the last bits out...or most of them anyhow.

I was concerned that the bottom or sides may be of poor quality. The whole thing..floor included seems to be pretty durable. I will be using my closed toilet box as a seat here and so I was a little worried about wear and tear. I don't think there is going to be an issue...(knocking on wood)

I have attached the directions on how to fold it back up. I wish I had observed how it was folded in the first place. I have no idea wtf is going on in method1. Method 2 I understood step one and two.. flip over... then??

If any of you understand chinese hand gestures I would appreciate your insight. I looked online but only came up with Indian sign language sites. Just my luck.

I am in the process of stripping about 8 layers of paint off my toilet box. I completely mutilated it and now have to come up with a repair..LOL... I have ZERO talent and the sooner I recognize it the more time and money I will save.  It will be interesting what the final shape this mostrosity of a paint job will take.

Too bad Sofi is sooo far away... she could be making good money off me and her painting skills.

OK.. well back to paint scraping I go.

Enjoy your day!

Attachments

• t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 7
  • t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 5
  • t3.jpg
    t3.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 5
  • dr.jpg
    dr.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 7
I'd be worried about this carpet on your stairs getting wet. Get a piece of hose to empty the water out from the spout.
The folding directions (#1) are pretty straightforward.
Ford the thing in half, then quarters, then 8ths.
then tuck in the rest.

desert_sailing said:
I am in the process of stripping about 8 layers of paint off my toilet box. I completely mutilated it and now have to come up with a repair..LOL... I have ZERO talent and the sooner I recognize it the more time and money I will save.  It will be interesting what the final shape this mostrosity of a paint job will take.
I got the 8 layers off.. and tried to do something creative..LOL.. but did not have it in me. So this is what I ended up with.. slop.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 4
You WILL be able to take care of business in a hand-crafted, and hand painted chamber pot either way! :thumbsup:

desert_sailing said:
I got the 8 layers off.. and tried to do something creative..LOL.. but did not have it in me. So this is what I ended up with.. slop.
So...not wanting to ruin such a nice box.. I once again removed paint.. sanded and scraped... and now have a "throne"

I looked for petroglyphs and found a few I thought were pretty cool.. printed them and then graphed/scaled them onto the box.

I used neon and glow paints.. and I think the end result is pretty good... at least for me and my ability.  The petroglyphs here that I copied are from.. NE Az.. SW Ut. and SW Co. maybe some of  you have seen these in your travels.

Alot of hard work that I am slightly proud of... considering where I started and what I ended up with... The black paint was a big help covering up the stains from earlier.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 2
  • 5 (1).jpg
    5 (1).jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 5 (2).jpg
    5 (2).jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 3
desert_sailing said:
I used neon and glow paints.. and I think the end result is pretty good...

If you were selling those, I would buy one!
When the lights go out, you're never lost! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Sofisintown said:
When the lights go out, you're never lost! :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Given my meager 100 watts solar.. that is a distinct possibility!

Shower curtain up.. dog pool and throne in place. At 4 feet in diameter, I now have plenty of elbow room and no worries about knocking down the curtain mid scrub.

The curtain is attached with a few strips of velcro and of course the dog pool does not need to actually be spread entirely out, it functions just fine in any shape/size that is convenient.

I still would like to get a shower pop up tent for use when in an actual "camp site" but for now I could not ask for much more.

Attachments

• IMG_20200923_204052.jpg
    IMG_20200923_204052.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 12
desert_sailing said:
Shower curtain up.. dog pool and throne in place.

I still would like to get a shower pop up tent for use when in an actual "camp site" but for now I could not ask for much more.
Looks great--especially the new, improved can-find-in-the-dark throne!  I've been meaning to ask whether you've had a chance to try this set-up out, and how the origami is going.  (Mine has only been folded once, so I couldn't offer any tips.)

We used to put up a shower pop up tent all the time, but quit carrying it for a few years because we just didn't need it.  Now, we do again.  Yesterday, some ladies stopped by to ask about it.  I (over)explained how a shower could be set up in it.  One of them asked "Could a porta-potty go in there?"  My inner smart aleck wanted to say, "No.  Anything but that," but I didn't. :angel:   I also didn't mention that there was a only plastic coffee can and empty laundry detergent jug in there at the moment, along with a piece of petrified soap from 2010 or so. LOL.

Latest posts