Bare bones lightweight truck campers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kisatchieman

Reaction score
<P>Ran across this site <A href="http://capricamper.com/models.html" target=_blank>http://capricamper.com/models.html</A> and thought I'd pass it along for those interested in an economical slide-in truck camper. The Ranchero model really caught my eye with it's $2865 price tag and weighing only 600 lbs. At this price there is nothing inside but paneling and two foam mattresses. You could equip this TC with whatever options you wanted, install your own stuff or just leave it bare bones and light. </P>

<p style="margin: 0px;">Not bad--</p><p style="margin: 0px;">1/2 tonner brings problems with weight.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">But that is very light--slide-in.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">Some heavy-duty shocks and heavy duty</p><p style="margin: 0px;">tires--I have 16"wheels.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">Drag shouldnt be bad if its fits flush.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">Thanks--</p><p style="margin: 0px;">txanne</p>

Height might be a bit of a problem for most of us at 5'4" but they could probably correct that.&nbsp; Looks like a fairly good deal for decent housing.

Those are pretty basic for the price. You can build one much cheaper with minimal skills.&nbsp; I just built the shell for my over-the-cab camper and so far I've got less than $450.&nbsp; It's about 5'11" inside.&nbsp; I'm a 52 year old female nurse, and though God and I had a few words during the process, relief in the form of help&nbsp;happened only&nbsp;twice;&nbsp;once to get the frame on the truck, and the 2nd time my daughter happened by and helped me fit the 2 eight ft plywood sides to the frame while it was on the truck.&nbsp; It will take another $500 to $750 to complete as much as the cheaper versions from Capri.&nbsp; I'm not the best carpenter but it looks halfway decent.&nbsp; I'm going to weigh it tomorrow and will post pics once the cord to the computer shows up.<br />Rae

I really wanted one of those a few years ago when I had a full sized truck in the oilfield. Now I have a Tacoma and they don't make them for that size, so I got a fiberglass slide in utility shell. Works well for me and has 5'7" headroom. Weighs around 400lbs and is fairly aerodynamic.. I have a thread running now about it..

I look at them (occasionally) and drool (occasionally). 600 or even the next one up which is 750 or 800 lbs would be fine for any 1/2 ton truck to haul.