Bank recommendation needed

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry-new

Reaction score
Howdy....Heading out from the Niagara Frontier this November to volunteer at the RTR and spend six months boondocking. 

I'm assuming we're going to be generally in the Quartzsite area, and need a bank that I can draw cash from from time to time and use a debit card for resupply. Any ideas?

Thanks, Larry

Checkout a large-ish credit unions with a large free ATM network. If you qualify Navy Federal the largest credit union in county. - USAA bank another good one with a large ATM network and x$ monthly refund on ATM withdraws. Anyone can use but veterans get more bennies.

Nerd wallet has excellent reviews on banks/credit unions/credit and debit cards

www.nerdwallet.com/

Walmart has several Debit cards but the best is the Bluebird Debit card with American Express. Limited to places taking AmExpress but $0 cost if you order it online. Nerd wallet has a review

Here’s a link to the nerd wallet review of Prepaid debit cards.
https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/banking/nerdwallets-best-prepaid-debit-cards/

I like prepaid debit cards because you can only lose what is on the card, you’re entire bank account can not be wiped out by some online scam, gas pump skimmer, dropped in a parking lot.
You can move money from other accounts to the PP debit as you need. There is a lag in the transfer but once you learn the time you can have good control.

Larry, I just checked Quartzsite on google maps, and they don't seem to have any national banks there. Parker appears to have Wells Fargo and Chase banks, as well as Walmart and Safeway, so most people go there for supplies from Q. FWIW, for Home Depot, you have to go to Lake Havasu City or else Yuma.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/banks...7298,14.5z
https://www.google.com/maps/search/banks...921444,14z

I have a Wells Fargo account which I don't necessarily recommend, as they keep sending credit card solicitations guaranteeing APR between 18% and 28%. They must think their customers are idiots.

What I do when I'm on the road is use only my "debit card" to get cash, when I go to the store. Walmart and Safeway will generally let you get $80-100 at a time. I don't know for sure, but they may only accept out-of-state debit cards from "major" national banks. ?? ATM machines will charge you $3 or whatever for transactions, if not in your own bank's network.

EDIT: I also use the same debit card to buy gas, but once again it's with a national bank.

I use wells fargo. They have been near anytime I have needed them I never use a debit card, only a credit card not attached to my bank. Just pay it in full when the bill is due.

If you are going to be in Quartzsite (rtr not there this year) I generally get cash back at the dollar store. There is a bank and ATM but I don’t recall what they charge.

Larry-new said:
Howdy....Heading out from the Niagara Frontier this November to volunteer at the RTR and spend six months boondocking. 

I'm assuming we're going to be generally in the Quartzsite area, and need a bank that I can draw cash from from time to time and use a debit card for resupply. Any ideas?

Skill-set for you to learn that will be useful when traveling. A mapping app or internet maps such as Google Maps and Mapquest can be used to locate local services even when you are not yet in the area. Open the map, type in a location then use the feature to show a list of nearby banks or whatever other type of facility you need to go to be it post office, groceries, doctor, dentist, etc.

I use my debit card from Citizens Bank in NY and have been in every state and 2 countries using atms wherever I need one with no problems. The worse thing has been a 3 dollar use fee in Scotland.

I have an account with Alliant Credit Union. They don’t have any bricks and mortar offices, everything is done online. One of the things i like about Alliant is that any out of network ATM fees are reimbursed so there is no need to hunt down a member ATM.

michaelwnoakes said:
I use my debit card from Citizens Bank in NY and have been in every state and 2 countries using atms wherever I need one with no problems. The worse thing has been a 3 dollar use fee in Scotland.
^this.

Yes,I've been away from using my debit card for so long that I forgot that you can commonly get cash when buying something. That solves that. Thanks all!

The online bank I use TD Bank and in the near future we will also plan on using Ally Bank online. I know that we all have different needs. So it might be better if we make our own decisions. 
I provided different banks where you can compare what your needs are.
Just click on the logos on top of the page.
https://www.bankbranchlocator.com/

I know there's an ATM in one of the Quartzsite markets -- the General Store, if I remember correctly. I think there's one in the other market, too.

But if RTR ends up being near El Centro/Imperial/Brawley, California, then you'll have all sorts of ATM, buying and banking options.

My credit union is great and the belong to a nationwide network of credit unions. That means that most everywhere in the country I can walk into another credit union in the network and do transactions such as withdrawals, deposits, check cashing etc without paying any extra fee for the service. As my credit union does not have fees on the accounts I have there it is a much better alternative to belonging to a nationwide bank chain where they do have high banking fees. Plus the credit union pays higher interest rates on my savings and they pay interest on my checking account too. They also have 401k types of accounts, money market accounts, credit cards, car loans and even home loans. I am not missing out on anything that the mega banks offer and I am getting all the benefits they offer without any added fees. Member owned banking is so much better. Join a credit union, ditch the big rip off banks.

Schwab Investor checking works well. No minimum balance. All ATM fees are rebated. No foreign currency fees. Mobile check deposit through app. If you deal with cash deposits, this is probably not the right account, though. It needs to be linked to a brokerage account. Not sure if there are minimums.

4/5/2020 Update, after four months boondocking. Using a combination of credit and debit cards, had little use for cash.

One needs a supply of quarters for the water kiosks. Can be gotten at laundromats.

Wal-Mart, aside from groceries, camping supplies, hardware, booze, toiletries and the like, was a source of cash. Boondocking with a Wal-Mart or Albertsons a few miles away was ideal. I used them for garbage, firewood, public toilet, and, yes, cash....through the checkout with my debit card.

Once I was convinced that I needed a motorcycle, and found that one could withdraw $1000/day from the Walmart service desk.

Update, after a winter in...Parker/Earp, Bouse, Ehrenberg, Cibola, Bolivar Peninsula...

Walmart will give you $1000 cash per day at the service counter, on a debit card. Otherwise, self checkout will give you 20's.

Latest posts