Bank account issue

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdoverl

Reaction score
I’m running into an issue where I can’t open a bank account because I’m not a resident. Banks want so much information proving I’m a resident, which I don’t have. Any suggestions? I was thinking a prepaid credit card but I’m not sure how I would deal with direct deposit for pay checks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does the bank you used in your previous state have online services?

When I moved to AZ 3 years ago I kept my accounts with 2 out-of-state credit unions and can do everything online.

slow2day said:
Does the bank you used in your previous state have online services?

When I moved to AZ 3 years ago I kept my accounts with 2 out-of-state credit unions and can do everything online.

I don’t want to use that bank because I have a joint account. Even if I open a separate bank account with them, my ex girlfriend could easily get added to the account, she’s done it before. I need an entirely new bank.

It's called "Know Your Customer", aka KYC. Somehow it doesn't stop big time money laundering.

It may be possible to use your current bank, opening an individual account with your information that they have currently. Switch the mailing address to a mail forwarder.

I kept the East coast bank that I was using in New Jersey and Michigan before I moved West. Nearest branch to me in Nevada, is on the east bank of the Mississippi. I can deposit paper checks with a phone app. My renter in Michigan deposits the rent into my account at a local branch.

Rent a campsite and get a receipt or get your employer to write you a letter stating you work for them and live in employee housing. If you have a passport use that and a Social Security card for identification since you are in the “process” of getting a new driver’s license. There are lots of advantages of taking a first job with an employer that provides a lot or housing.

try an online only bank, e.g. Ally. They might be easier

I spoke to a local here in Lake Havasu and got setup with a bank called BBVA

I’ll used this to take care of upcoming car and insurance payments and as direct deposit.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

That bank has an interesting history.  Established in 1964 as the Central Bank and Trust Company (in Alabama), it was acquired by BBVA (in Spain) in 2007 and now is "the 39th largest bank in the United States by total assets" with branches in Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, New Mexico and Texas.  The BBVA website is here and, from a very brief inspection, it looks legit.  Thanks for mentioning it.

Try a credit union. Cheaper rates and can sometimes be a little more flexible. get a local commercial mailbox with an actual address. Have some kind of bills sent there.... Cell phone bill, some kind of government piece of paper (information), local SPCA info, or even a credit card application even if you know you're going to get denied. Basically something official. tell them you just moved into town and you're trying to re-establish because you got out of a long-term relationship and you need to reset up your entire life.

I'm still with a credit union from another state that is supposed to be only for those City residents. They know I'm in washington. once you're set up and established with them, I don't think it's going to be a problem.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I’m running into an issue where I can’t open a bank account because I’m not a resident. Banks want so much information proving I’m a resident, which I don’t have. Any suggestions? I was thinking a prepaid credit card but I’m not sure how I would deal with direct deposit for pay checks.

I realize this is an old post, but I thought I'd pass along a few of my experiences. I have had a problem with Wells Fargo in the past, and closed my account. The reason was their practice of fradulently opening up accounts without the account holders being aware of the activity. This boosted salaries and commissions for Wells Fargo employees.
Anyhow, I recently received an email offering $200 if I open an account. I did, and they accepted my deposit and sent me a debit card. The same day the card arrived, they closed the account.

I then opened an account with Acorns. They didn't ask a lot of questions, and the only time I needed a physical address was when they sent my debit card. Everything else was done on the web. I ran into a few problems with Acorns however. Calling support resulted in hold times ranging from 45 minutes to 1 hour and 20 minutes. Using their chat service was a joke. Not only was there language difficulties, but the support agent often did not have access to the information I required, and there was no "manager" to whom I could escalate my issue. I usually had to wait 2 or 3 days for an email response, which often didn't answer my question.

So I went to Chime. Again, no address issues, just a place to send my debit card. Unlike Acorns, Chime is totally free, and they have way more services, including ways to deposit cash, something that Acorns doesn't offer.

I have no affiliation with any of the above mentioned banks, other than being a depositor.