ball player Daniel Norris lives in Van!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rando

Reaction score
:cool: http://www.treehugger.com/tiny-houses/pro-baseball-players-dream-home-vw-van.html

Daniel Norris, a 21-year old Toronto Blue Jays pitching prospect, lives in his '78 VW Westfalia camper.

Many young athletes who receive a hefty bonus or contract might be tempted to run out and buy a flashy car, a big house, or a bunch of gadgets and toys, but not Daniel Norris, who spent part of his $2 million signing bonus from the Blue Jays on a decidedly different kind of dream home - one on four wheels.

For Norris, an avid outdoorsman who grew up camping, biking, and climbing, the choice to buy and live in a decades-old VW microbus is a natural one, which fits his desire for simplicity in a pro sports culture more known for its excess:

"I think the simplicity of it all was the most appealing. I grew up with a simple lifestyle, and I knew going into professional baseball that would be tested. In my mind there’s no need for luxury, or at least society’s sense of the word.” - Norris

According to GrindTV, the yellow '78 VW Westfalia camper (which he named Shaggy, after the Scooby-Doo character) wasn't even for purchase at the time Norris was looking for one, but thanks to his father, who "knew a guy who knew a guy," the bus ended up in Norris' hands, where it received some upgrades (a bed and solar panels) to meet his needs.

Norris told Baseball America that life in a van isn't so different as one might think:

"As a van-dweller, essentially it’s the same. I still cook my own meals, I have a kitchen—it’s a little fuel-powered stove and I’ve got a couple pots and pans—and it works pretty well. I enjoy it. The way I grew up, my dad owned a mountain bike shop and that’s really it, so we had to learn to take care of yourself and be sustainable with what you have." - Norris

Over on LifeEdited, David Friedlander muses that Norris' choices, which seem to point to the rise of what he calls "the minimalist celebrity," may be a sign of the times, mirroring the trend of Millennials to dismiss "traditional notions of success" in order to follow their own path:

" ... Norris might be the new, low-key celeb, someone who might have access to vast material resources, but feels compelled to not exploit them; someone for whom simplicity and moderation are ideals to strive for, not signs of failure."

Even if you're not a baseball fan, if you're curious about the #vanlife lifestyle, you can follow along with Norris via his Twitter account or Instagram profile. Who knows, you might decide to ditch the walls for a tiny mobile house, too.

Everyone, the media, facebook, all over the place is making such a big deal out of this.

The guy doesn't live in a van.

He spends extended lengths of time, in his van, during training season.

HUUUUUGE difference!

Kudos to him for taking time out to enjoy some time living in simplicity. But, he doesn't live in a van.

oops. :s was going to change it but time expired!

Yeah this received good media coverage. Certainly re-frames the narrative about staying in a vehicle.

vandella said:
Everyone, the media, facebook, all over the place is making such a big deal out of this.

The guy doesn't live in a van.

He spends extended lengths of time, in his van, during training season.

HUUUUUGE difference!

Kudos to him for taking time out to enjoy some time living in simplicity. But, he doesn't live in a van.

Lol... Does that mean he lives in his van during training season and then lives in his house when it's not training season? Or does he just spend extended lengths of time in both places at different times of the year? :cool:

I have no house or apartment, do I live in my van? I don't cook meals or shower in my van. I eat in restaurants, use public toilets, and shower at the gym. I sometimes stay on friends property rather than at campsites or parking lots for extended periods of time.

So, do I live in my van? Or just sleep in it?

Reno said:
...So, do I live in my van? Or just sleep in it?...

Without getting into stoner semantics, it sounds like both...unless this is a riddle! Lol. :cool: