Baja and El Nino

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark

Reaction score
I want to winter in La Ventana but I'm worried about the possible effects of El Nino. I'm worried that the weather will just be crazy sever, roads will wash out and I'll be stuck down there (maybe not the worse thing in the world but I simply have other plans).

Has anyone spent enough time down there to have an idea what effects the weather might have?

Thanks,

Mark,
I've not spent any time there at all, so I am no help.

But, has gone through the "new posts" with NO one being able to help. So when I post this reply, it should begin making the rounds again for those of us who use the "View Today's Posts" view to read new threads.

I'd expect only a few cold fronts this winter to make it that far south, but this El Nino is going be different beast this time as water temperatures in the North Pacific are so much higher than normal which should allow cold fronts to pick up more moisture. It only just dropped below 70F in San Diego, and our most recent '20% chance' of forecasted light rain was over half an inch with localized flooding in rather extreme(for San Diego) downpours.

I used to spend a few cumulative months a Year in Northern Baja, and got a couple of good rainstorms that locked me in place for a week until the arroyos were passable again. I still had to drive through a lot of water and my driveshaft Universal joints self destructed not long after.

The proliferation of Meth in the small fish camps/.towns ruined Baja for me. where I once had little to no fear of thieves or bad people, I awoke to strange footprints all around my Van every morning.

I've not returned in 7 years, and I miss it.

I was always able to get a few english language AM radio stations out of LA, and knew when cold fronts were working their way south, but I never knew if they would make it into Baja, or if they did, how intense they would be, and there were a couple where I imagined the oceanfront bluff collapsing from under me.

Latest posts