Bad Timing, HOT Weather

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah, makes sense to preach it, but due to my current circumstance, I can't follow my own advice. Swampy down here in the Southeast. It's been like this since I first moved here in '96, and I keep ending up back down here.

I'm in the SE, right now. And headed for the mountains! 101, this weekend here. 82 in NC. Best of luck. Keep driving!

Fort Peck Campground.  It is cool and comfortable here. Only 360 miles to the Rockies.

Attachments

• 20180528_175317.jpg
    20180528_175317.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
On my trip back from CA yesterday it was 91 for several hours until I got into the higher elevations. I found out during this trip that my water pump doesn't work, so I filled my fresh water tank for nothing and have been wasting extra fuel hauling around the extra weight.

:blush:

I got some of the stakes that spiral down into the ground, hopefully they will hold good.  Tnen attached some bungee cords and rope to the awning in case of wind.  I call them paranoia straps.

The reflective window coverings make a big difference.  The sun is hot but there is a cool breeze coming off the lake.

This is a spectacular campground.

https://freecampsites.net/#!123700&query=sitedetails

Attachments

• 20180529_103928.jpg
    20180529_103928.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
  • 20180529_103848.jpg
    20180529_103848.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
MrNoodly said:
I suppose you have reasons for traveling slowly, but the sooner you get to more arid parts of the country and to higher elevations, the sooner you can stop worrying about heat.

Does this apply near Las Vegas as well? Are there any campgrounds near Las Vegas that are on higher elevations?

When traveling during hot weather, I started turning off the AC in the van well before I reached a place to stop for the night. Otherwise even though the evening had cooled somewhat from the day's high it still felt too hot to rest, because I was accustomed to the AC.

Its cool here, at 5,000 feet. Skyland Road off of US 2, south of Glacier NP.

Attachments

• 20180602_152145.jpg
    20180602_152145.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
Relatively speaking, that isn't too far from me. Definitely somewhere to bookmark! Thanks for sharing.

While crossing from west to east over the past week, I have been able to stay in a weather pattern which provided cooler temperatures than the areas around it.  Every day I looked at the national map of high temperatures, and I adjusted the miles I drove to put me in the middle of a cool bubble.  I followed my planned route from Yellowstone to Chicago, and drove between 100 and 300 miles a day to stay in the sub 70f temperature bubble that tracked across the plains.

http://www.intellicast.com/National/Temperature/HighToday.aspx

It was luck, or perhaps taking advantage of a fortunate situation.  I don't expect that this opportunity will always be available.

One down side is that the cool air bubble was associated with wind and rain, so I had to drive in wind most of the way.  But I avoided the 80f and 90f temperatures that were not far away from us.

skyl4rk, now that you're in Grizzly Bear country (n.w. Wyoming and western Montana), try not to cook odoriferous foods in the van, or keep similar foods in storage. Especially avoid bacon, at all costs. Bob Wells biggest recommendation is move to different elevations in correspondence with temperatures, so he winters at low elevations in AZ, and summers anywheres in the west at higher elevations.

I am now in one of the most dangerous areas in the world, a vast wilderness known as Chicagoland.

There are Bears, Cubs and White Sox here, but they are quite docile.