Bad habits

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bLEEp

Reaction score
How do you deal with them?

I ignore them until its a prob then I try to be better until I forget it was a prob. Rinse and repeat. This is only half joking, I need to mature or something. Gonna be 50 in 2 years!

Try to ignore the whining and crying of my stomach when it wants food... [emoji31]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bad habits? That is a profound and useful question. Hope you get lots of responses.

1. One could do worse than starting off by reading a chapter or two in Benjamin Franklin's Autobiography. (Free download at Gutenberg.)

2. Is it fair to begin by discussing how NOT to handle bad habits: don't wake up in the morning and start nagging yourself with  "Thou Shalt Nots." That just makes you want to rebel. The more you say, "I shall eat less/spend less/drive less this week,"  the more you are thinking about eating, spending, and driving. That means you have already lost.

Instead, stay busy with interests/obsession/ or hell, even new vices, so that you crowd the old vices out.

3. Never take the slightest step backwards when breaking an old bad habit; it will undo a month of positive progress. Visualize a ratchet wrench.

4. Moderately or gradually reduce weak bad habits.

5. Absolutely ban from your life strong bad habits.

bLEEp said:

If it is robbing banks, you just stop it and get a job. If it is buying expensive thongs, you start making yourself throw somethong away (and I mean TRASH) for every new thing you buy.

gcal said:
IIf it is buying expensive thongs, you start making yourself throw somethong away (and I mean TRASH) for every new thing you buy.

EXPENSIVE THONGS? You ain't right! Go to the ain't right room!!!!

For my purposes I'll define bad habits as addictive, unhealthy products like sugar, caffeine and fast food. I know what's in them, how they're made and they lead to chronic health conditions.

I let them ride but make small steps towards improvement.

Make lots of good new ones and the old bad ones will get pushed out. Ain't got no time for that. I'm only modestly good at this, but what habits I have rid myself of were done that way.

bLEEp said:

The only thing that worked with me was to priorize my wants and needs.

Example, I wanted my kids more than I wanted certain party favors.        

It has been 22 years now,  

You want your new life bad enough that you can cold turkey anything.  Get stubborn and do it.  

If you need to bend my ear...  

John

If you get rid of your bad habits, won't others just take their place? It is said that Nature abhors a vacuum.

Sitting here eating extreme chocolate peanut butter ice cream and drinking ginger ale. When I'm through, I'll have another cigarette or two and crawl into bed. What bad habits?

Shucks.  When I saw the title was "Bad Habits" I thought we would be talking about the underground comic TALES OF THE LEATHER NUN . . .

bLEEp said:

Oh, if you're asking how I deal with them, I've got very little to offer. That said, I'm much better at offering others sound advice/resources than I am at taking my own advice/following those resources myself:

http://ucdintegrativemedicine.com/2015/09/changing-habits-listening-to-tony-robbins/#gs.6EMQwzg

Please don't get hung-up on the name of the person who developed this strategy. People who pre-judge on the basis of a name tend to miss out on an awful lot of useful information due to ad hominem issues. For example, if Charles Manson told you to always look both ways before crossing the street, and you said to yourself, "Charles Manson? Are you kidding? That guy is psycho! Never believe him!" and you decided to ignore that advice because of who offered it (rather than on the basis of whether it's actually useful), well, your street-crossing days might come to a much sooner end than if you'd taken that advice.

Evaluate advice on the basis of whether it actually works, not on the basis of who offers it (that goes for positive pre-judgment as well as negative). Hope that helps!

"How do you deal with them?"

Live alone..........

I'll stick with my current theory of keeping them in check, and not ruining my life.
:)
I've had one in particular for over 15 years.....
I guess control IS the answer <3
Big love
bLEEp