Baby it's cold outside

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rvpopeye said:
If I can do it so can you !
BUT , I would be contemplating moving my mattress and the heaters into one room and imagining I was still in the camper...............hey , wait a minute. You must be using the bathroom in the house,,,,so the water is on and the heat is too....................WT????????
Skuh kuh kuh kuh kuh ,,,,,,just kidding.
On another note . I found a housefly in the rig last night , where'd THAT come from????

Ha,  Yes I have a heated house 20 feet from my camper door, I must be losing my mind!  Been doing drywall and now painting so didn't want to bring anything inside cause that dust ruins everything.  Painting will be done Monday and then I just gotta throw a carpet in bedroom and out of the trailer I will go.  But then it's time to focus on what exactly my next travel rig will be! 

I'll spend a few nights in the camper through out the winter just to test the waters and my gear for future travels.

Every Road Leads Home said:
Mercury out my window is at 24 degrees. Feels a  heck of a lot colder with the windchill.  I'm in a 27' Forest River Travel Trailer.  Have a small Electric heater that's been keeping the interior between 65 and 70 although it seems that it's at the max it can warm it and for every degree the outside drops, we lose a degree in the trailer.  Have the trailer furnace and Mr Heater as back ups so i'm not too worried.

This is nice to read, since I'm going to be starting my RVing in a similar type trailer in the heart of Pennsylvania's winter soon. Did you insulate the trailer in any way to achieve that? I might not need as big a heater as I thought to keep it 58 inside in the depths of winter.

I guess I'm a bit odd because I LOVE the cold. It's 24 here too with a wind chill in the low teens and I offered to walk my mom's dog for her because I just love being outside in this kind of weather. I absolutely insist on keeping the windows cracked all winter no matter how much cold wind comes in too. I've lived in multiple places with broken/defective heat, so I know it doesn't actually get uncomfortable inside until it's getting into the lower 50s, and even that's still fine for sleeping since then my hands can be safely tucked under the blanket. Once it's down in the 40s inside getting out from under the blankets really does suck, though, lol. My natural cold tolerance is why my only worry with moving into the trailer is not freezing the mechanicals.

Of course, I pay for my cold tolerance with total heat intolerance. I can't have it over 75 indoors and miss out on a lot of activities in summer because I can't be outside for any length of time once it gets above the mid-80s because I start feeling sick from the heat. One thing I'm looking forward to most with the trailer is parking it in one of the mountain campgrounds, in a fully shaded spot, and still blasting the AC enough to keep it 68 inside all summer long.

Been in the single digits and subzero here in the Black Hills (SD); a little unseasonable for the area to have these temps hang around as long as they have, this is usually called the 'banana belt' due to the milder winters. The small trailer has come in handy - less to heat! I'm currently in a campsite with electric while I finish up loose ends here, so have been trying to spare the propane and not use the furnace unless the interior temp drops below a certain point. Been running the heat-strip in the A/C and a small ceramic space heater and have been able to keep it fairly comfortable in here. Using a little MyHeat type personal heater 'upstairs' (in the loft). The little bathroom & closets get chilly. My deodorant is kept in the little bathroom and is a roll-on and if I don't warm it, it's (ARGHHH) like using an ice-cube; wakes you right up.

My trailer has linoleum floors, I've got some runners down and some rolled-up small throws under the cabinets where the floor & cabinets meet as extra insulation; lose a lot of heat right out the floor. I'm outta here around the end of this next week!

The cold has never bothered me until the arthritis got bad, now it kills my back. That said I will deal with it if I get the right conditions to shoot snowflakes again before I leave. 10 to -20 usually gives nice, clear. sharply defined flakes.

2:30AM and it's 62* outside.  Perfect temp for sleeping without a heater.  
Except for the outrageously high prices for everything, God I love California!   :p

Latest posts