Attending the RTR 2019

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skippy

Reaction score
I may not be camping during the RTR of 2019 but may be staying in a nearby motel. Can I still attend the RTR even though I will not be camping during the trip? I would like to see some of the van builds and meet many of the van dwellers and nomads. I will be attending with my son and have agreed to renting a motel room if he pays for the rental car, I know it's always a trade-off with something or someone! (LOL) We will be traveling from the Great State of Nebraska to Quartsite. I'm still a little confused of what the dates are going to be and will the RTR Start on January 11, 2019 as was last year's start date? Thanks everyone for answering my questions, if known! Looking forward to meeting you at the next RTR!

Bob, if you see this post maybe you can answer my question regarding the RTR start date for 2019, Thanks!

Can I still attend the RTR even though I will not be camping during the trip?
yes
Bob usually announces the dates in the fall. usually the end of the RTR coincides with the start of the big tent RV show.
highdesertranger

Bob seems to be Missing in Action.

Maybe someone else should announce the dates.

(ducking and covering)

:p

patience is a virtue. like I said in the fall. I gave everyone a hint. the Big Tent RV show runs from January 19 through January 27. so my guess would be the RTR ends around the 19th. highdesertranger

Yes, I know when it is, and when I will be there, based on the RV show and Quartzfest. But some people do need to schedule time off from work, and/or book a room. Speaking of that, to the OP, you might want to book a room early, because there aren't that many rooms in the area, and during the RV show, they fill up fast.

I've seen some videos of Quartsize in the winter during various shopping fests, and I'm not impressed. Has the RTR grown so large now that someone new like me who has never been and alone could #1 find the main group and #2 not be depressed by all the pack of humanity gathered to recreational shop?

the flea markets and stores are a few miles away if you don't want to visit them you don't have to, at the RTR you wouldn't even know that they are there. the RTR will be easy to find, detailed directions will be posted in the fall. you can be as close to other people or as far away as you want. highdesertranger

Historically it has been from the second Thursday to the fourth Wednesday of January. This past January it was the 11th to the 24th, so my educated guess is in 2019 it will be the 10th to the 23rd. It might be a day or so either way. Is that close enough?

If you're getting a room, there are way more options in Blythe CA, 20 miles west of Quartzsite on I-10.

There will be a map and GPS coordinates posted for where (and when) it will be in Quartzsite. No problems finding it. If you do have a problem, post here and someone will surely meet you somewhere and guide you in. 2019 RTR will not be held where it used to be. From what I can remember it will be South of town on the road to Yuma and on the West side of the road.

As for the hordes of shoppers, I don't go shopping.

DebraOak said:
Has the RTR grown so large now that someone new like me who has never been and alone could #1 find the main group and #2 not be depressed by all the pack of humanity gathered to recreational shop?

The ever-increasing size of the RTR isn't related to either concern, IMO.  

As others have said it's really easy to find the group.  And it's easy to be as far out as you want.  Many folks are close in but others are at the outskirts by their lonesome.  Headache was centrally located, Minivanmotoman went further NW, etc.  Jim was to the north I think.   I was about 1000' ESE of the seminar area in a quiet loop:

[img=200x113]http://img.mousetrap.net/rtrw2018/RTRmap.jpg[/img]

Plus there's no rule saying you can't start out close and move further out later if you want more solitude.   Starting further out and moving in closer is more challenging because spots near the seminar area / main camp fill up quickly as the RTR goes on.

frater secessus said:
As others have said it's really easy to find the group... etc.

RTR will be at a different location starting 2019. Still just outside Quartzsite, but south of town instead.

The RTR and the RV Tent show (with a LOT of vendors) are two separate things, but happening around the same time, and separated by a few miles. You can do either, or both, as you wish.

B and C said:
 From what I can remember it will be South of town on the road to Yuma and on the West side of the road.

Sounds like it will be just south of Quartzfest, our yearly ham radio event out there. This event is south on 95, at La Paz Valley Road.

the new RTR location is real close to the old one. you go out Kune Rd just like you used to. to the road the camp host is on(where you get your permit) you go past the host and it's back a mile or so. it opens up into a huge flat area, much larger than the old site. if one was to come from the 95 you better have a 4x4. highdesertranger

I would have sworn that I saw something about it being South on 95. Even had coordinates IIRC.

Not the first time I have been wrong and won't be the last. I stand corrected.

Darn CRS that comes with age.

tx2sturgis said:
The RTR and the RV Tent show (with a LOT of vendors) are two separate things, but happening around the same time, and separated by a few miles. You can do either, or both, as you wish.

AA4RO here ... eager to meet other hams at RTR and get over new station anxiety ;)

drJean
Mockingbird Educational Development Inc

Okay I've never been there before the next RTR will be my first I am a RTR virgin so how early can I get there does the permit cost anything and how will I know where to park where the main Camp is and all that information I'm thinking of leaving right after Christmas just in case I get lost I'm not very good with directions.

GreyWulf - The permit is free but it's only good for 14 days. That will cover the entire RTR but plan accordingly if you want to arrive earlier or stay longer. The sign up station is on the way to the RTR site.

If you do arrive earlier you can camp on a different area of BLM land for 14 days as long as you're 25 miles away from the RTR location.

Bob will post a map and more details on the location, directions, dates, and seminar times and topics as it gets closer to the RTR time.

There will be signs at the RTR location so that you will know where to go.

Hope to see you there!