attendant misfuelled my diesel truck

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took my bus (Ford 7.3 IDI) to a Ford dealership to diagnose a problem with the fuel senders. They dropped both tanks and drained them. When they put them back in, someone on the floor who apparently can't read (fuel door says "diesel only") filled both tanks to the top with gasoline. I had no idea it had happened, of course, so after I picked the bus up I drove about 30 miles, at which time all the warning lights came on and it died. Next day the garage I had it towed to identified the problem.

Once it was drained, everything SEEMED ok, but it was not ok. Over the course of the next two months, every individual piece of the fuel system failed. Once the dealership finally admitted they did it, they did the work for free, but all told I was personally out about a thousand dollars paid to other mechanics and tow companies by the time it as over. It eventually WAS over and things got back to normal, but it took so long for all the damage to really come to light so I could get it fixed.

Have. you actually drained it t this point? If not that is the first thing to do. Then be prepared. if you can prove it came from the gas station, try t o get them to pay for a total overhaul, because you very well may need it and it's even harder to prove it's related hen it takes 3 months.

Also - traveling the east coast during COVID, every station had attendants.

PeterPiper said:
Does the state also give those stations immunity from liability if they do this?

Seems if this is what happened then the station would be liable?

May be hard to prove?
If I'm in a situation where I absolutely have to let someone else pump, I pay incredibly close attention. It's very unlikely a station's gasoline tank is filled with diesel. This problem is almost a result of somebody being asleep at the switch. Most vehicles are gas so they just don't even notice unless you emphasize it aand police it.

So far in my travels. Every station had separate hoses for gasoline and diesel. Many had separate pumps located away from each other.

Matlock said:
If you saved the receipt then your proof is in hand.

You have proof you bought fuel.....that's not solid proof they put gasoline into your diesel vehicle.

You would still have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that they actually put the wrong fuel into the vehicle in question.

It just so happens the video cameras at the station were on the fritz that day.

Back in the 79 I worked at a station only thing open after 12 at night and all the coal miners went home, 18 wheeler pules up to gas pumps we did not sell diesel, said fill it up and off to the bathroom he goes. After pumping 80 gal he hollers for me to stop and ask if I am puting gas in. I said yes we do not sell diesel. He asked what was the cheapest oil we had. I said 10 bucks for 5 gal recycled. He said but in 30 gal. Idid and he jumped in and drove off.

I've heard a similar story before. About a friend with a diesel Land Cruiser IIRC in the boonies of Norcal.

When I go to Oregon, I pump my own. I play the "oops, I didn't know" game. Since It's a rental they usually just bitch about it but no harm done, and they finish because they say they can get in trouble for letting people pump their own. That shit Job creating "mini serve" is crap. I have a flight to catch and I'm not waiting 10 min for the one slacker to come out and pump my gas, but oh wait, a cute girl just rolled up so he's gonna help her first. Yeah. not playing that game. Sorry. I've been pumping my own gas for 40 years, 20 more than the kid at the gas station. I think I can handle it without burning the place down.

PeterPiper said:
You have proof you bought fuel.....that's not solid proof they put gasoline into your diesel vehicle.

I was thinking about the receipts that are printed out at the pump or inside by the attendant, using the pump number, both give a per gallon price/ number of gallons pumped and total amount due. There would be a price difference between gas and diesel per gallon. If you paid by credit card there may be details on your statement. If it was hand written receipt and you paid cash then all bets are off.

Just a thought to consider.

The new/first post, OP seems to be a no-show in his own thread, maybe he was trolling for entertainment ?

Why is this thread at the top of the list? The last posting was 6 months ago.

Beginning in 2002 in Oregon it is legal to pump your own diesel. Also legal to pump your own gasoline into a motorcycle.

When I go to Oregon, I pump my own. I play the "oops, I didn't know" game. Since It's a rental they usually just bitch about it but no harm done, and they finish because they say they can get in trouble for letting people pump their own. That shit Job creating "mini serve" is crap. I have a flight to catch and I'm not waiting 10 min for the one slacker to come out and pump my gas, but oh wait, a cute girl just rolled up so he's gonna help her first. Yeah. not playing that game. Sorry. I've been pumping my own gas for 40 years, 20 more than the kid at the gas station. I think I can handle it without burning the place down

When I go to Oregon, I pump my own. I play the "oops, I didn't know" game. Since It's a rental they usually just bitch about it but no harm done, and they finish because they say they can get in trouble for letting people pump their own. That shit Job creating "mini serve" is crap. I have a flight to catch and I'm not waiting 10 min for the one slacker to come out and pump my gas, but oh wait, a cute girl just rolled up so he's gonna help her first. Yeah. not playing that game. Sorry. I've been pumping my own gas for 40 years, 20 more than the kid at the gas station. I think I can handle it without burning the place down.
In Oregon, since 2020 at least, I think, the law is that if you have a diesel you're allowed to fill it yourself.

You would still have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that they actually put the wrong fuel into the vehicle in question.

It just so happens the video cameras at the station were on the fritz that day.
If you bought gas at any major oil company station, it is all computerized. The kind of gas will be reflected in the transaction, which, like a bank or retailer, has its own number.