Attacked While Sleeping in Jeep

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did stop riding my road bike on the road. Too many distracted drivers. Some people would say that cyclists don’t pay taxes but I did on 3 vehicles. But now society can pay for my medical as I’ve gained a lot of weight by not cycling. I still walk and hike just not cycling 30 miles a day. No aerobic workouts. We all lose. I always wondered how the hell people know how to pass a stopped garbage truck and safely slow down and pass a stopped delivery truck parked in the middle of the road but by god they will not cross a line to pass a cyclist.

Spaceman Spiff said:
I’ve always heard that figure also. It don’t matter the number though... one is to high.

Ive not been to Alberta a lot in my travels. But I didn’t ever find either Edmonton or Calgary to be anything out of the ordinary. Watching her vids after and seeing her concerns and fear I wouldn’t take this to lightly. I’m always concerned when my daughters are traveling. I watch where they are at and if something don’t look right I’m calling to find out what’s up.

and we all know alot of sexual type assualt crime isn't even reported so.....

WanderingRose said:
This article states “ Across their lifetime, 1 in 3 women, around 736 million, are subjected to physical or sexual violence by an intimate partner or sexual violence from a non-partner ”.

Some of this may depend on definitions.

Have I ever seen held down and threatened by a knife or a gun? No.

Have I ever been held down and coerced with emotional threats? Yes, quite a few times.

I’m reminded of that Beatles song lyric “I get by with a little help from my friends,” and think fondly of the .357 soft points I have in my sock draw. They add quite the percussive element to the song.

WanderingRose said:
I first read “The Gift of Fear” in e-book form a couple of years back, and liked it so much that I promptly  bought it in paperback so that I could mark it up.

I keep this list of his quotes bookmarked…

https://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/1212277-the-gift-of-fear

It has been my experience that most others mean us no harm, and that our country is generally safe.

However, being situationally and person aware is critical, and this book does an excellent job of fine-tuning the “when to run” skill set.

I know more than your average bear about human behavior, but I learned a lot from this book and also highly recommend it.

I loved that book. I remember shortly after reading it, I was coming home from work, and I pulled into the parking lot of the apartment building. There was a man I didn't recognize smoking at the end of the sidewalk. As I got out of the car and started towards the door, the guy stamps out his cigarette and starts walking towards the door. It was a secure building, so you need a key or someone to buzz you in. I realized that he was timing his walk to get to the door the same time I did. Well, I didn't know him, and didn't want to be the one to let a troublemaker in the building. I figured if he was a legitimate visitor, he could get buzzed in. 

So, I start walking towards the door, realize he's timing his walk to get to the door the same time I do, so I just take off at a dead run to the back of the building and let myself the other door.

He was probably an OK person, but I had just read that book, so my spider senses were tingling.

Years ago I was traveling. It was about 6 or so in the morning—sun wasn't fully up yet but it was light out. I had to pee really bad so I stopped at a rest area along the interstate. This was out in a very remote area and not much traffic anytime especially this time of the morning.

As I pulled into the rest area, I noticed a pickup truck with a camper on it parked way in the back of the rest area. Probably someone sleeping off the night, or so I thought. I got out of my vehicle and started to walk to the restroom. I got about halfway there and I heard my German Shepherd start barking like crazy—she was in my vehicle—I was going to let her pee after I did my duty. I turned to see what she was barking at. I saw a grungy looking guy sort of sneaking/walking from the camper. He had a large knife in his hand (about the size of a butcher knife). I ran back to my vehicle, jumped in, and sped out of that rest area. I had to drive past him but I was going fast by this time. He had a mean look on his face—downright scary.

Needless to say, I still had to pee! I drove about 20 miles and got off on the next exit, found a secluded place in the ditch and did my part to end the drought in this part of the country. I now carry a 1911 with me.

Yes, it was really creepy. I am convinced my dog saved my life. If she hadn't barked, I would not have looked back and most likely would have been in the restroom with no escape.

JanaBanana said:
  I now carry a 1911 with me.

And a nice one with a compensator would be extra special in a knife fight too. To bad hand grenades are out.

Thanks heavens for smart doggies that keep us in mind all the time and that bark that makes us turn around :)

nice thing is you listened to your dog. Many just keep going thinking, shut the heck up you barking fool LOL

Yea I can't even imagine how creeped out that weirdo situation was for you. I know that played on your mind and you are super smart for your 1911 and keeping an ear out for your dog when required :) Safety out there in life is imperative. We all know most likely never to hit home, but darn your post freaked me out a bit and so happy all is ok and you move forward in good shape!! AN EXTRA bit of steak for doggie that night? Darn right LOL

JanaBanana said:
 . . . I now carry a 1911 with me.
Make sure you have the proper permit for whatever state you are in.
I carry pepper spray because it is legal to carry without a permit in all states (size and age restrictions in some states).

JanaBanana said:
Yes, it was really creepy.  I am convinced my dog saved my life.  If she hadn't barked, I would not have looked back and most likely would have been in the restroom with no escape.
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Good testimonial for why one should travel with a dog: they are usually more alert and situationally aware than us humans, plus they have a different sensor suite than us[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif].  Learn their body language and they can alert you to a lot of dangerous situations.[/font]

Spiff, I absolutely 1000% agree with the truths of each state and carry/conceal and more-----not a doubt about that----but in the bitter end I would personally rather face illegal firearm charges in a certain state than to die from some a-hole crazy person issue.

Of course, point blank THAT IS MY thoughts on it LOL I would rather shoot and take the hit on my charges then be dead in a bathroom or gutter ya know...............AGAIN we each have to make this personal call if it ever comes at all to any of us and what goes down.

I got big Bear pepper stray cans that aren't even little dulled down spray for humans so if I sprayed my big azz bear spray cans at a human I would probably be charged with some type of 'over kill not legal on human charges' maybe, but darn I would be alive to deal with it :)

again, just thoughts in the full truth of a good chat on self defense and our lives and what we are willing to do for protection vs the crazy that might creep at us rarely, and hopefully not ever in our lives. Again just a chat on what it takes for one for self care.

Spaceman,
Yes, I am concealed carry permitted and know which states I can visit and which ones not. Fortunately, the ones I am not legal in are not states I would not ever want to visit. I had my first CC permit in 1989 but let it run out over the years. Prior to that in the rural area I lived, it wasn't really a big deal as long as it wasn't concealed. It was common to go to a grocery store and see cars in the parking lot with a handgun up on the dashboard! Not to mention the assortment of rifles in the rear window gun rack of the trucks.

I recently got legal again with all the crazy stuff going on.

Yes, dogs are awesome. I bond with them on a deep level. Ginger, the dog in this story, has been gone now for twenty years. I still miss her.

everyone on here that shared their experience and even the Jeep story got away with not having a gun.

RoamerRV428,

I seem to have a connection with dogs, especially my own. I get to know their barks and other quirks. In this situation, I knew from her bark that it was a warning and not a "let me out to get the squirrel! I am sure I can get it this time!" type of bark.

To all,
I am the peaceable type, don't like violence of any sort. While not a religious person, I do resonate with buddhist and zen philosophies—especially when it comes to do no harm, etc. Some might say that if someone is trying to harm you/kill you, then allow them to do it since we are all "One." But, think this through to its deepest level—by allowing someone to hurt/kill you, this then is also an allowing of someone to defile the "One."

Not sure if this makes sense—I get philosophical at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.