Attacked While Sleeping in Jeep

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silver

Reaction score
[font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif][color=var(--yt-endpoint-color,var(--yt-spec-text-primary))][font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]I saw this video of a woman vs madman..[/font][/font][/color]
[font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif][color=var(--yt-endpoint-color,var(--yt-spec-text-primary))][font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif][size=large][color=var(--yt-endpoint-hover-color,var(--yt-spec-text-primary))]TinyHouse Jeephttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuR_yqhM5hgds2LMQYPl2Aw[/font][/color][/font][/size][/color]

[font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif][color=var(--yt-spec-text-primary)]"This is something I never thought I would experience. [/font][/color]
[font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif][color=var(--yt-spec-text-primary)]And I don’t think you can explain the emotional rollercoaster that follows.[/font][/color]
[font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif][color=var(--yt-spec-text-primary)] But some time had passed since this happened and I have let it go, surrendered it to the Lord, and \came to a resolve without the definite answers."[/font][/color]
[font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif][color=var(--yt-spec-text-primary)][/font][/color]
Attacked While Sleeping in Jeep

Bad things happen everywhere. Not exactly news.

The chance of something like this happening to someone sleeping in a house is far greater.

When I was driving back from Q last year I spent the night in a parking lot in Winslow AZ and I swear I heard gun shots. I didn't get up to look around.

In fact I have been considering mounting a gun holster under the dash.

Sofisintown said:
The chance of something like this happening to someone sleeping in a house is far greater.

I disagree. Sleeping in your car is much more dangerous. But it all depends on where you park.

Depends on where the house is located,too.

It happened in Canada so I guess that it's not so safe up there either.

Also, you have to wonder if people who post numerous videos on YT might be setting themselves up for unwanted attention.

slow2day said:
Also, you have to wonder if people who post numerous videos on YT might be setting themselves up for unwanted attention.

I have learned not to post my exact location, almost never, but for gatherings and such things that are public anyway.

WanderingRose said:
I have learned not to post my exact location, almost never, but for gatherings and such things that are public anyway.

Or wait till you have moved on to post...

slow2day said:
Depends on where the house is located,too.

It happened in Canada so I guess that it's not so safe up there either.

Also, you have to wonder if people who post numerous videos on YT might be setting themselves up for unwanted 
That is like saying showing too much leg is an excuse to justify rape, this is a very scary thing to happen to someone, you shouldn’t be minimizing it, and blaming her for someone else’s outrages behavior.

flying kurbmaster said:
That is like saying showing too much leg is an excuse to justify rape, this is a very scary thing to happen to someone, you shouldn’t be minimizing it, and blaming her for someone else’s outrages behavior.

That is not minimizing outcomes or justifying wrong behavior.  It's just pointing out that things we disclose changes our risk profile.  If you openly flash 100$ bills you increase your chances of getting mugged; its not blaming the victim to point out that its a bad idea to do that.

Spaceman Spiff said:
That is not minimizing outcomes or justifying wrong behavior.  It's just pointing out that things we disclose changes our risk profile.  If you openly flash 100$ bills you increase your chances of getting mugged; its not blaming the victim to point out that its a bad idea to do that.
I get your analogy however is opening your wallet to pay for something flashing, how do you want to live your life, always hiding, not exposing your experiences, your talents, does working at a corner store expose us to bad behavior, or getting out our credit card and pay waving it, make it an invitation for a mugger. By not condemning the bad  behavior, saying it is normal, not news, then saying because someone is exposed publicly that they are fair game due to the way they choose to express themselves, I think is minimalizing their traumatic experience.

flying kurbmaster said:
By not condemning the bad  behavior, saying it is normal, not news, then saying because someone is exposed publicly that they are fair game due to the way they choose to express themselves, I think is minimalizing their traumatic experience.

Who said it was normal? It isn't news because it happens all the time and if you want to, you can read about it or watch it all day long. Between Canada and the US there are ~370,000,000 people. Stuff happens.

Wondering if a certain kind of behavior might be a risk factor for some is not minimizing what happened to her.

We were discussing randum acts of violance at work. What makes people act they way they do? I think such actions are mostly opportunity attacks. You happen to be at the place when he thought about it. It could have been anyone that was in that spot that night.

I've probably pushed this book before, but this thread reminded me of Gavin De Becker's book The Gift of Fear (https://www.amazon.com/Gift-Fear-Survival-Signals-Violence/dp/0440226198) -- a great resource for helping people think through which risks to take or avoid, which danger signals to take seriously or not, etc.

It is possible to think about ways to protect yourself and lesson your risks without living an overly fearful life or "blaming the victim."

To say "it happens all the time" could be uncaring or it could be a realistic way of being very caring. If you thought about all the horror stories in the news, you wouldn't have time to think about anything else. In the CERT training (which I took a million years ago), one of the things they try to drill into you is not to head straight for the loudest or most horrifying thing but to assess the whole scene. Or as De Becker would say (IIRC), if you're scared all the time, then fear ceases to be a useful signal. Sometimes you do have to say "it happens all the time."

Anyway, totally recommend that book. Or if you just google the author's name and the title, you'd probably find a decent summary somewhere online for free.

PS Great thread!

I first read “The Gift of Fear” in e-book form a couple of years back, and liked it so much that I promptly bought it in paperback so that I could mark it up.

I keep this list of his quotes bookmarked…

https://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/1212277-the-gift-of-fear

It has been my experience that most others mean us no harm, and that our country is generally safe.

However, being situationally and person aware is critical, and this book does an excellent job of fine-tuning the “when to run” skill set.

I know more than your average bear about human behavior, but I learned a lot from this book and also highly recommend it.

There is inherent risks when sleeping in your vehicle or going anywhere you don't know. That's why layers of protection is key. From an alarm system in your vehicle to cameras with warning signs or parking under a light. And of course items to defend your self. You cant anticipate every situation but some of the basics will avoid some of the more common issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.