Atlanta to Seattle

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Awesomatic

Reaction score
Well, I've started my journey and I have been on the road for a few days.  Currently, I'm in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho...headed towards my end destination of Seattle.  My first stop was St. Louis, Missouri...then there was Sioux Falls, South Dakota, and lastly Billings, Montana.  I will probably find a spot to park for the night in or around Spokane, Washington.  Then it's on to Seattle.  I've been staying in hotel parking lots and apartment parking lots.  I try to find a corner to park in and I put 'reflectix'(?) that I cut to fit all of the windows.  It keeps it nice and dark on the inside.  I've got Netflix to keep me company when I'm bored, but I'm hoping to get away from staying in the car so much and do more around the area...but traveling can be a chore.  I've got a job that I'll be starting on Monday...and it is a night job, so finding a place to park and sleep may be strange.  In either case...I hope to make friends at work and perhaps they'll understand my living choices.  However, I've read that Seattle is a difficult place to make friends in...even for a gregarious gentleman like myself...but I'm up for the challenge.  The pointers that I read on this site and got from members have been the cornerstone to my success thus far, so I must extend my thanks to the community.
[size=medium]image.jpeg[/size]

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    118 KB · Views: 35
I'd recommend not parking in Seattle proper. Vehicle dwellers are in the news a lot right now.

Awesomatic said:
Well, I've started my journey and I have been on the road for a few days.  Currently, I'm in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho...headed towards my end destination of Seattle.  My first stop was St. Louis, Missouri...then there was Sioux Falls, South Dakota, and lastly Billings, Montana.  I will probably find a spot to park for the night in or around Spokane, Washington.  Then it's on to Seattle.  I've been staying in hotel parking lots and apartment parking lots.  I try to find a corner to park in and I put 'reflectix'(?) that I cut to fit all of the windows.  It keeps it nice and dark on the inside.  I've got Netflix to keep me company when I'm bored, but I'm hoping to get away from staying in the car so much and do more around the area...but traveling can be a chore.  I've got a job that I'll be starting on Monday...and it is a night job, so finding a place to park and sleep may be strange.  In either case...I hope to make friends at work and perhaps they'll understand my living choices.  However, I've read that Seattle is a difficult place to make friends in...even for a gregarious gentleman like myself...but I'm up for the challenge.  The pointers that I read on this site and got from members have been the cornerstone to my success thus far, so I must extend my thanks to the community.

How do u like CDA? That is where I live!

I full time in Seattle and I didn't hear about all this news stuff until I logged in today. It isn't affecting anything really from my vantage point. The same rules still apply: the newer/sharper your vehicle and/or the stealthier your set-up, the more you can get away with without being hassled. Having a Pruis is a lot going for you. Good luck!

Chancebond said:
How do u like CDA?  That is where I live!

It seemed like a really neat town...I stopped in and got some info from the guy working at the Baymont Inn.  Then, I drove around a bit and stopped in to Starbucks to get some wifi.  I have to say though, I liked Wallace much more.

Bitty said:
I full time in Seattle and I didn't hear about all this news stuff until I logged in today. It isn't affecting anything really from my vantage point. The same rules still apply: the newer/sharper your vehicle and/or the stealthier your set-up, the more you can get away with without being hassled. Having a Pruis is a lot going for you. Good luck!

I'm up near Everett...but looking for a steady location or two.  Did you just join a gym or the YMCA for showers?  I've got a few questions if ever you're open to meeting up.

Awesomatic said:
I'm up near Everett...but looking for a steady location or two.  Did you just join a gym or the YMCA for showers?  I've got a few questions if ever you're open to meeting up.

My current solution for showers is that when I visit my folk's place every other weekend (hour's drive out of Seattle) I can sometimes use the shower there. Other than that I go without. It's funny because I'm involved in a couple communities where close contact occurs often, e.g. dancing, and often get compliments on how good I smell. :rolleyes:

My medical requirements for a shower are pretty stringent; I need a fairly advanced filter attached if it's chlorinated city water, a bathroom/shower room free of previous product residues, and a way to control the steam that doesn't introduce air that has contaminants I react to. I suffer severe Multiple Chemical Sensitivity and failing to meet these requirements has pretty drastic consequences.

I did join a local club ($60/year) and I volunteer in their library to get in free to events. Their showers are open during most events and it would be a perfect solution if I could actually use them! Depending on whether that's your cup of tea it could be a good option.

About your Reflectix being so visible, Seattle Fabrics has Duvetyne black out fabric that's awesome, and they often have remnants or slightly blemished fabrics you can get at a discounted price. Last time I was in there several yards of Duvetyne was in the pile so I'd advise against paying full price for it until you've checked that out.

I'm a bit hesitant to meet up in person with folks I don't know...rain check?

Everett is a tricky area, I visited several times while dating a coastie stationed there. The two alright spots I found there was the hospital and a particular parking lot on the docks about a mile down the street from the base. I wasn't super happy with either one, but it felt safer than parking off the main street with all the drug addicts around. When I got a flat tire in Everett it was less than an hour before a druggie was attempting to break in. If you like once you get here I can try to pinpoint those places exactly for you. Then again, this was with a slightly more stealthy setup...I'm not sure how it would work with Reflectix in the windows. I'd strongly advise fixing that to open up more spots for yourself.

Bitty, I had this really nice lengthy reply...but for some reason, it was erased. In short, I very much appreciate the advice you've offered and I hope you travels continue to go well.

As it were, I work from 7pm to 3:30am...so I usually do my sleeping during the early part of the day. I've found that apartments are great places to law low during the day throughout the week. I had to fund an apartment that didn't have assigned parking, but that was easy. I get wifi at the gym and Starbucks and even watch movies via Netflix when I'm feeling lazy. On the weekends, I travel up to the mountains and camp out there. I've done Snoqualmie Falls and Mt. Baker and some other places.