Astronomy

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't even know we had a shuttle replacement, very good thread!

LOL,  glad everyone is enjoying this stuff. 

I just wanted to make astronomy something more than "That's the Big Dipper",  "That's the North Star" etc etc.

Our ancient ancestors looked at the Heavens and translated it to things on earth such as the Pyramids, Stonehenge, Serpent Mound as earthworks to help them understand and predict time and season.  Their survival
depended on it. 

At the Serpent Mound site a huge Meteorite had struck that area some 320 million years ago. There is a lot of magnetic anomaly and surveyors who found the ruin in the early 1800's noticed that their compasses weren't reading correctly.  Further sedentary rocks were turned upended with their strata running up and down instead of sideways as they should.   The ancients must have realized something was odd there or believed it had magical powers....just as the serpent.   But this showcases the thinking of those of that time.  So the spirit animal the serpent may have been thought to be the the best choice to roll up their understanding of the Heavens giving them guidance to create a kind of calendar which could assure their survival. 

I'd mentioned the revolving of the Heavens giving us the seasons when in fact it's the earth rotating on it's axis.  That was discovered several hundred years BC by a Chinese astronomer Chun Li and shortly afterwards by the Greeks.  Later by Copernicus in the 1500's AD. 

But before there were Telescopes much of the observation went into tools to predict recurrences of strategic
events that would change the living environment.   Then devices that could be carried along that would begin to do the same for us.

But just as interesting is to turn the telescope around and look through a Microscope and realize that there is nearly as much to see through it in a different kind of space.  From time to time I see these tiny red spider mites crawling on the landscaping bushes around the house.  A dozen of them could sit on the head of a pin.
I can only imagine how large I would appear to them if they had Telescopes. 

As for our traveling in Outer Space,  the best we have to present.....say for going to Mars.....may look as primitive as the first Space Capsules the Mercury Astronauts used to circle earth a few times.

I understand that today we have the technology to see a light the power of a flashlight over 2 light years out in space.   I can only imagine what any "life" out there could see with their technology?    For instance one of the brightest flashes of light I can think of would be the atmospheric  detonation of a Nuclear Weapon.  In the past late 1940's and a few times since those things seemed to get a lot of UFO reports.   Wonder if those were sent to investigate what was going on here?   

To me this is what makes astronomy interesting.  Our Species of Homo Sapiens is thought to have started on earth 200,000 years ago.  That's a long time to be looking up into the Heavens and connecting that with the world we live in.

eDJ_ said:
For instance one of the brightest flashes of light I can think of would be the atmospheric  detonation of a Nuclear Weapon.  In the past late 1940's and a few times since those things seemed to get a lot of UFO reports.   Wonder if those were sent to investigate what was going on here?   

The flash of light from nuclear detonations in 1945 has only made it out about 72 light years at this point.

Moreover, the first official reports of "foo fighters" we're filed in November of 44, so they predate even the Trinity test.

Yes, you're quite right about the Foo Fighters.  As I recall they kept their distance and observed.   Of course with the ordinance that was exploding in those times and events like Dresden in Germany I'm sure there was a lot of flashing and flickering here on earth.   I doubt it needed to travel too far into space to attract attention of those who could get here and were curious enough to come see what was happening.

The information I've gathered about the post WW2 era when UFO's began to be seen more as an expedition to "fact find" here on earth had them showing up first in the area of the first nuclear test and they moved east ultimately to Washington, DC.  They were seen over the Capital shortly there after.  

in the late 1960's they were back and quite a few sightings were reported over my hometown with photos of it in the newspaper.   One of the Professors at the local UNI noticed all the lights over the town from a class room window and called the students to look for themselves.   Then he got the idea to take the class up to the top of the building to the Faculty Lounge (this was a night class) and let them observe through the large glass windows.   This was reported in the Campus Newspaper.  

Some Truck Drivers and local towns people reported some kind of UFO setting down on the interstate just outside the town in the grass median.   These Drivers were from different states driving for Corporations and Independently and had never met until that instance.  They reported just pulling off the road and stopping and waiting until the vehicle took off at great speed. 

But in these later reports the UFO/vehicles seemed to be more "inquisitive",  although the people beholding them weren't as curious.

But if we look back even further...........Paintings by Artist have shown strange items in the sky  when the people of the time had no means of flying vehicles.

1280x720-slH.jpg

This 1475 Painting by Verrocchio,  "The Baptism of Christ"  

But there are many medieval paintings which depict strange objects in the sky.  

This link addresses why that is:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/5917914/why-are-there-spaceships-in-medieval-art

By the 1950's in America we were making Movies about this stuff.   (like this YOUTUBE movie)

UFOs The True Story of Flying Saucers 1956 (believe what ya want)

https://vanlivingforum.com/newreply.php?tid=23069

Myself, I think this stuff goes in cycles.  But you can see in this movie how deductive reasoning and mathematics have been used in an attempt to figure out what we are seeing.

But back to the sensitivity of instruments which "may" be in the hands of others out in space and Trinity.

I once played with a Library Globe and plotted Los Alamos on it and Hiroshima,  Japan.   Both Cities are on the same Latitude, or close to it.  Thus the development of the Bomb would be so it could  be used in a similar environment.   It would be interesting to back engineer where Los Alamos was pointed into space when the first test was made.  (to figure who the audience in space would have been)   Then similar for Hiroshima similarly.  Then Nagasaki.  Would that have possibly been experienced by an audience in space as a signal to come and approach earth?   Something I've always wondered.  

Then if those who came realized that it was about War,  they would have likely looked around and returned to make their report. 

Since North Korea is playing with Nukes now...I figure we may be getting reports of these things again.

We usually think about astronomy as viewing the Heavens from earth.  Right ?  But now with man made satellites circling the earth we can look at our own world and learn much about it.   Ever thought about that ?
Scientist at the ESA (European Space Agency) have put a lot of thought into it.  They have also made inroads
into some pretty amazing facts about our earth that most of us never even think about.  There is a magnetic flow over the earth and it has been mapped. 

If you can watch these Youtube Videos I think you'll find them fascinating.   And the next to last video is about a small man who lived south of Miami, Florida in a home he called "Coral Castle".   He was a bit of an eccentric and would work at night to avoid being watched.  He published books and claimed he knew the secrets of the construction of the Pyramids of Egypt.  He worked alone while cutting huge stone monoliths and moving them  with the greatest of precision.  Most conclude that he understood "Anti-Gravity". 

I've visited the "Coral Castle" museum several times now.  You have to behold it yourself to understand it.
But if this man named Ed Leedskilnin,  who came from Latvia (dues south of Finland) understood ways to cancel the earth's magnetic pull, then he could have accomplished the feats you will see.

But first the video of the Lithospheric magnetic fields of earth.  The Lithosphere is the outer crust of earth and it is divided into "Continental" and "Oceanic" areas and that into what is known as the Tectonic Plates.  Think of the Lithosphere as the cooled crust (like cooled solid lava) that floats on the molten core of the earth. 

This is brief and silent.  But it shows some interesting spikes

Lithospheric  Magnetic Field of Earth

These magnetic fields give off frequencies that are detectable from space.

Earth as seen by it's Lithospheric Magnetic Fields (if you can't view Youtube)

lithosphere_fig1.jpg

The Tectonic Plates of earth. 

tectonic_plates_9273.png

Now suppose someone actually understood this science and could command it at will.  Sound like the stuff of a Superman Comic Book ?  

Here is the story of Ed Leedskalnin narrated by Leonard Nimoy (Spock of Star Trek) for "In Search Of".

Youtube Video:  "Secrets of the Coral Castle".

A later video that tries to explain some of this.  Many have tried to "Debunk" it....but the Coral Castle stands just the same.

Youtube video

Eds Coral Castle Quarry and Flywheel, Engineering Mystery Solved  (but "really" ?) 

This is the website for the Coral Castle Museum,  so if you are in Florida you may want to drop by.

http://coralcastle.com/

Interesting to realize that Ed Leedslalnin was so far ahead in his grasp of earth's magnetic
fields, and how he could harness it in order to build as he did.  I think this will become clear to
any of us who visit the place.

But now that we can put telescopes in space and look at ourselves,  we can begin to better see ourselves
as part of "space" instead of just thinking of earth as the platform we stand on to look into the Heavens.

I'm a deep space lover. Black holes, pulsars, quasars. I'm limited to binocular astronomy, but all the apps have listings of the Messier objects. All those things just fill me with a sense of wonder.
Plus observatory tourism. That would be fun to get some astronomy lovers together and hit a local observatory.

Yes,  that's a great idea.  

In my second site below there is a link toward the bottom of the right links column is a link to "Meetup"

https://www.meetup.com/

It's a handy tool to know about.  You could get some full timers who are traveling and interested in doing this
together and scheduling a meetup at an Observatory.   In my bottom site there are Chat Rooms at the top of it where those interested cold meet and chat as groups or one on one. 

I'm sure a lot of interest groups here could do this.

One I've thought about would have an ad hoc group locating decent Vans, Shuttle Busses, Class C's that they know to be dependable for sale such that those new and looking for a rig could find one that's been checked out by someone with some mechanical experience.   But that's just a thought.

Here is a link to an interactive map of Observatories in the USA.

http://www.go-astronomy.com/observatories.htm

A great forum for all aspects of astronomy is Cloudynights.com . Since there are no astronomy clubs near my location, it has proved invaluable in mentorship, learning and discussion.
Another group the 60mmtelescopeclub Yahoo group is a highly intelligent, experienced group of small telescope astronomers. Its amazing what you can see even in a "van sized" 50 or 60mm classic refractor.

Cruising the dark skies of the southwest with my small scopes is an integral part of my van life future plans.

Clear skies and apple pies
Vesper

mine too just wish I had a goto mount.

lots of astro clubs offer free camping at their dark sky sights and often use of their club scopes.

Dennis said:
I'm wanting to try some night sky photography other than moon and eclipses this year when I can get good views of the Milky Way. Need to pick up a decent wider lens than what I have.  Mostly set up for birds and other wildlife at the present.

I'm going to try doing that too as well as some painting with light.

Lisa Truck Gypsy said:
I'm going to try doing that too as well as some painting with light.

That should be fun. Something different. I got around to downloading Sky Guide on my phone and looking at a couple of wide lenses that seem to be popular for night sky photography.

bardo said:
the 50mm f/1.8

I have one of those, but seldom ever use it. Forgot I had it. Was considering the Rokinon 14mm manual focus but with the AE chip. I'll have to try my 50mm.

If you're working with aps-c or there about you'd be better off using more fl and doing a dithered mosiac anyway

Yes, crop camera is what I have been using for years. Have lately been thinking of full frame again. Not sure why I want to spend any more on cameras and lenses though. I downgraded already due to cost. lol

us in the van life are in a unique position to do way more with less by devoting so much more time to mosaic. everybody with kit lens has done a plain old wide field.

That's probably good enough for me at this point in life. I'll leave the mosaic creations to you and others with the desire and expertise. Plain old...that's me :)

Latest posts