The Future of Microwaves

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it's only 4,436.36 usd. not worth it to me until the price drops down and it's a proven tech that everyone will accept

It is ice water. what proven tech to understand? Guy has it, read the above post.

Weight said:
It is ice water. what proven tech to understand? Guy has it, read the above post.

ok i missed the part where it said it was proven tech. now who in there right mind is gonna run out and pay that kind of money for a device that spins drinks around in ice water :huh:. sure not me ofcourse business maybe but the price would have to drop to be accepted by the consumers.

I've been searching for a citation on those two Australian TV shows that showcased popular new events in Science.  "Beyond 2000" and "The Next Step".   I haven't as yet been able to find any of it in Youtube. 

I did find this bit on "Effect of vibration on natural convective heat transfer"

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ie50546a024?journalCode=iechad

It is technical reading but it does confirm to me,  at least,  what I saw in the TV presentation.  That the frequency of vibration could aid in a refrigerating process.   The vibration aiding the transfer of heat.

When I was a kid a HVAC tech was explaining to a neighbor as to the principle of how a Air to Air Heat Pump could air condition a house on a 90 degree day.   Or heat a home on 40 degree day.   What was explained never did make sense to me.   But still the Heat Pump worked just the same for heating and cooling.

But the miracles of science march on.  

Recently scientist launched a rocket into space in New Zealand. (I didn't even know that they were in the conquest of space).....but what they did that was so unusual and caught my eye, was to make their rocket with a 3D printer.

https://www.theguardian.com/science...ealand-launches-3d-printed-rocket-space-video

My understanding. If the air (gas) around a heated something is vibrated with sound or like, the heat transfer from the heated something is enhanced. Sort of like blowing across some heated thing. Microwaves are electromagnetic waves. That study used mechanical waves. I don't see how adding energy will cool something unless used in an absorptive refrigerating cycle. Like how does a gas jet cool the RV box?

gsfish said:
I can't think of any way that an outside force, whether spinning, microwaving or bombarding with sound can cool a drink.

Wine shops have force-chillers that whirlpool chilled water.  Since heat transfers faster across larger temperature deltas, disturbing the boundary layer around the bottle with rotating water keeps the delta maxxed out and speeds the removal of heat.

I will withhold comment on the wisdom of force chilling wine. /shudder

[Edit: just saw Weight's post. It's the same effect as blowing on coffee to cool it. The temperature of the air blowing is not the main factor; even warm air will cool coffee. It's the disturbance of the boundary layer of air at the surface of the coffee. ]

I've been able to find the Australian TV productions on Youtube but it isn't the complete series.

Beyond 2000

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU4colv0eIwfuw79LM-ICpg

Next Step

It was in one of these two series that the Microwave oven that could cool items was described and reference to the Space Shuttle being equipped with such.

These shows aired between the mid 1980's and 1990's. According to WIKI the series started as Towards 2000, (1981) and by 1985 Beyond 2000, and Towards Tomorrow in the late 1990's.

Next Step started in 1991 and later in the 2000's became Next Step 2.0

Latest posts