Asset Forfeiture

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've read allot about this practice by law enforcement and it is "legal" theft. From what I've learned this practice is especially widespread in certain southern states and mid-western states, often under the guise of seizing suspected "drug money" that is flowing from/to the border or from coast to coast. If you get pulled over and during the course of the stop they find you have XXXX number of dollars (varies widely), they can "assume" it's from some illicit activity and seize it without any charges, trial, etc. It's up to you to then try to take them to court to get it back, spending lots of money on a lawyer, time spent at trial, etc. In many cases the local judges lean towards law enforcement and it's an uphill battle. in most cases they know the people won't bother since the cost to try to get the money back exceeds what was taken, and often these are people traveling through the are from point A to point B so they also can't afford to take the time off and lodging to come back to the area for a court case.  The practice is also disproportionately biased towards certain minority, ethnic and lower socioeconomic classes that tend not to use banks like "normal" people and therefore usually carry around larger amounts of cash. 
     No matter what it's total bulls#*t and abuse by law enforcement agencies of all types (local, state and federal). The best defense is a well maintained vehicle that gives cops no reason to search it, decline any request to search your vehicle if pulled over, and have valuables locked away securely as others have mentioned in a safe or other strong container that they have no reason to open without a warrant. Also be aware of your rights.  Cops are notorious for abusing the limited powers granted them because they know most people are intimidated and/or ignorant of their rights, plus some have outright power trip issues. This is how many departments are funding their ever shrinking budgets. 
:mad:

Dgorila1 said:
 The practice is also disproportionately biased towards certain minority, ethnic and lower socioeconomic classes that tend not to use banks like "normal" people and therefore usually carry around larger amounts of cash. 

OH yeah. They target people specifically if they feel that they are less likely to have the resources to fight them. I have decided this is why I am not going to bother doing too much to protect myself because I do have the resources to fight them. I am just going to use it as an excuse to buy a cheaper van.

slynne said:
 I have decided this is why I am not going to bother doing too much to protect myself because I do have the resources to fight them. I am just going to use it as an excuse to buy a cheaper van.

Once they get caught by a bear trap a time or three, they might start backing off a bit. An example of them doing this should be made, and it should hurt!
I hate Bullys!