ASSET FORFEITURE SHUT DOWN?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GotSmart

Reaction score
If this is real, Things might become a lot safer for travelers.

Now if only State Law would stop the same practices. 

http://www.businessinsider.com/us-justice-department-shuts-down-asset-forfeiture-program-2015-12

[font=Georgia, Times, sans-serif]The Department of Justice announced this week that it's suspending a controversial program that allows local police departments to keep a large portion of assets seized from citizens under federal law and funnel it into their own coffers.[/font]
[font=Georgia, Times, sans-serif]The "equitable-sharing" program gives police the option of prosecuting asset forfeiture cases under federal instead of state law.[/font]
[font=Georgia, Times, sans-serif]Federal forfeiture policies are more permissive than many state policies, allowing police to keep up to 80 percent of assets they seize — even if the people they took from are never charged with a crime.[/font]

[font=Georgia, Times, sans-serif]GO TO LINK TO READ MORE.[/font]

A friend of mine got his new F350 Crew cab seized during a traffic stop that turned into an arrest for drugs, it was then forfeited even though he managed to plead out to lesser charges. And we see his truck around town quite often...local police dept. wrapped it in vinyl and turned it into the D.A.R.E. Mobile, visiting schools to talk to kids about the dangers of drugs. One of life's little injustices and ironies all rolled into one :)

oh, and my friend has now been drug free for going on 8yrs ^^

After the government eliminates this policy, I would breathe a sigh of relief.

The citizens are the ones that must keep their government under control.  Only by publicizing abuses can justice be done.

For a bunch of folks like us with everything we own in our vehicle , that asset seizure for any reason business is a big concern.
It will be a big relief if that practice comes to an end!

BradKW said:
A friend of mine got his new F350 Crew cab seized during a traffic stop that turned into an arrest for drugs, it was then forfeited even though he managed to plead out to lesser charges. And we see his truck around town quite often...local police dept. wrapped it in vinyl and turned it into the D.A.R.E. Mobile, visiting schools to talk to kids about the dangers of drugs.  One of life's little injustices and ironies all rolled into one  :)

oh, and my friend has now been drug free for going on 8yrs  ^^

An excellent reason not to be carrying anything like that in your vehicle. The consequences can be harsh.

Yeah HDR , I read the whole article after posting....
Brad
The thing that bothers me is that they are doing it to people that aren't
doing anything wrong.

I hear you there popeye. it seems that I remember hearing somewhere that we were guaranteed the right against "unreasonable search and seizure". ah must have been a rumor. highdesertranger

Hmmmmmm GOOD POINT
Probably not a good idea to remind the search and seize-er though !
Guess it's all just part of the greed plague that is going around!

What everything I have been reading comes down to, is unless you can hire a big lawyer, you get screwed.  Even then.~~~

We need a political change to happen.

RVBOB for President?   :angel:  (As if he would take the job!)  :dodgy:

Best thing I've heard of all year.

[Quotes]"greed plague"
All through the generations. Excellent summary. 
Its like a million sermons boiled down and distilled.

Lawyers know money and jail time. It's the only punishment results from legal process for most. They don't consider the shameful legal process as punishment.

The new AG,  Loretta Lynch is pro asset forfeiture.   I'm fed up with what's going on.  I'm very seriously considering becoming a part-time expat in the Philippines. I'm going back in February for the second time.

When you go , please stay on the forum and let us know how it's going.
Maybe a thread now about your previous trip in the meantime?

rvpopeye said:
When you go , please stay on the forum and let us know how it's going.
Maybe a thread now about your previous trip in the meantime?

I'd be happy to.  Good idea.  I'll dig up my pix from last year.  Phillipines was rated the 5th best country to retire to last year.  Very inexpensive and clean if you stay out of the bigger cities like Manila.  There's an English man, Chris Wren living on less than $500pm.
Search for "Britinthephillipines" on YouTube to get good video and advice about living there.

GotSmart said:
If this is real, Things might become a lot safer for travelers.

Now if only State Law would stop the same practices. 

http://www.businessinsider.com/us-justice-department-shuts-down-asset-forfeiture-program-2015-12

[font=Georgia, Times, sans-serif]The Department of Justice announced this week that it's suspending a controversial program that allows local police departments to keep a large portion of assets seized from citizens under federal law and funnel it into their own coffers.[/font]
[font=Georgia, Times, sans-serif]The "equitable-sharing" program gives police the option of prosecuting asset forfeiture cases under federal instead of state law.[/font]
[font=Georgia, Times, sans-serif]Federal forfeiture policies are more permissive than many state policies, allowing police to keep up to 80 percent of assets they seize — even if the people they took from are never charged with a crime.[/font]

[font=Georgia, Times, sans-serif]GO TO LINK TO READ MORE.[/font]

Don't use your vehicle for illegal activities. Don't let other people use your vehicle for illegal activities. You can work on changing laws if you want to. But in the meantime, there is just too much risk.

John D. Rockefeller said something like “Own nothing, but control everything.” What you don't own can't be seized. Thieves are everywhere.

I think that in my next van, I'll make a small compartment to hold and stash of cash I may have..