Asinine enforced laws

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WalkaboutTed

Reaction score
So we were in Los Alamos, NM, ostensibly for cell/internet access.  And since it was the annual ScienceFest at the park, we decided to hang out on a blanket on the lawn, under the trees. 

The afternoon monsoon clouds were threatening rain and looked like they were going to follow through on the promise.  So, we wandered over to the biergarten which had a fine, large tent for shelter.  There were two uniformed security guards, one at each entrance/exit.  I assumed that they were enforcing the "No Beer Outside Fence" signs.

I went to get Hubby an obligatory beer. They had several beers on tap and several types in cans. He likes wheat beer, which was only available in the cans.  

"I'll have the wheat beer, please".   The server told me, "You have to take the can outside the fence to drink this".  Huh?  Apparently, you have to drink the draft beer inside the biergarten.  But the law doesn't allow people to drink canned beer there.  So the security guards were there to keep in the draft beer drinkers and keep out the canned beer drinkers.

There is no open container law in Los Alamos county, so we could lawfully walk around the park while openly sipping from a can of beer. But we could only drink draft beer in an enclosed area. Go figure.

Since the showers were starting, Hubby's wheat beer would have to be on another day.  They didn't have lemons anyway.  I took a plastic cup of draft.

I had wondered why I had seen this slogan plastered here and there around the town: "A Drinking Town With A Science Problem". Somewhat of a logic problem, too.
Ted

Not a  problem...  Chug the draft beer while inside the fence, step outside, sip on the canned beer while walking back to hubby.  Just tell hubby he's gotta go inside to drink his Hefeweizen and now that you've finished your canned beer you'll need another one too...  Sounds like a perfect way to spend an afternoon!    :angel: