Artists

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can sing. People are always asking me to sing solo and tenor. So low that I can't be heard, and ten or more miles from them.

I bought lots of book on how to draw. Never did acquire the skill.

Most people are their own worst critics, ELLA I like your loose touch. Don't get hung-up on the subject go for composition and drama. I hope to meet up with you soon.

IMG_20160603_094342.jpgIMG_20160527_125344.jpg

I have only sold a few of these.  Baby gifts. The child's name and a little saying goes on them.  
I make a little bread and butter money with greeting cards. I haven't been promoting the cards for over a year though.

Diane

Attachments

• IMG_20160527_125344.jpg
    IMG_20160527_125344.jpg
    525.3 KB
  • IMG_20160603_094342.jpg
    IMG_20160603_094342.jpg
    552.7 KB
angeli said:
I'd love to see a discussion here with painters and photogs, quilters, knitters or lacemakers, or anyone else who wants to chime in.  I'm interested in hearing from folk who sell their work: originals, prints, online photo sites, design work, going from art fair or farmer's market or home decor fair, etc etc.  How small and simple can you go?  Where have you found your favorite spots to work, either for scenery, inspiration, or community?  Care to share a peek at what you are working on or have finished?  Where are your favorite places to market what you do?

I'll start.  I'm not on the road now, but was for several years.  About to go on the road again. This little drawing is about 8 x 10, done in graphite on Bristol paper, sourced from a photo taken in the woods in the Santa Monica Mountains just NW of Los Angeles.  It is a small egg that had fallen from it's nest into a bed of pine needles.  About 25 hours.

I would imagine that to continue doing this style of work I'd need enough solar storage for lights on demand, and to charge my camera and laptop.  I assume I'd also have to find a place I could stay stable for a few weeks. 

OK!  Who's next?
I think the one requirement for making money off of the arts is that you need to be a great salesperson.  I have many fine talents, but unfortunately, selling is not one of them.  
If there are any knitters or crocheters out there, the best way to make money is to design and sell patterns.  I recommend http://www.ravelry.com as a great place for knitters/crocheters at any level to socialize.   There are at least a couple of groups devoted to figuring out how to make a living from designing and selling knitting/crocheting patterns.  There are also groups to advertise for other people to test knit/test crochet your patterns, so it is definitely a real option for a van-based career. Of course, lots of people want to do it, but fairly few can actually bring in enough $$$ to make a living with it.  (same as with all the arts)  

Lots of people will ask knitters to knit things for them, but except for small, quickly knit specialty items (think Jayne hat) there is no way to make that pay on an hourly basis.  For example, a pair of wool socks will take at least 20 hours of knitting time, plus $10 to $20 worth of yarn.

Tussah said:
Lots of people will ask knitters to knit things for them, but except for small, quickly knit specialty items (think Jayne hat) there is no way to make that pay on an hourly basis.  For example, a pair of wool socks will take at least 20 hours of knitting time, plus $10 to $20 worth of yarn.

And then there are all the amateurs who artificially hold down the prices because all they care about is getting money to get more yarn.  Makes folks not want to pay the real value for quality work with quality yarn unless one finds a niche upscale market.  I can't sell my stuff for the prices I see on etsy---not worth my time even if it's one of few things I can do.  I wish I could do patterns but my brain doesn't work well enough.  I'll keep searching for something I can do though.

ETA: I'm not a great salesperson either. I've tried it many times before in different arenas.

anewbiewannabe said:
And then there are all the amateurs who artificially hold down the prices because all they care about is getting money to get more yarn.  Makes folks not want to pay the real value for quality work with quality yarn unless one finds a niche upscale market.  I can't sell my stuff for the prices I see on etsy---not worth my time even if it's one of few things I can do.  I wish I could do patterns but my brain doesn't work well enough.  I'll keep searching for something I can do though.

ETA: I'm not a great salesperson either.  I've tried it many times before in different arenas.

Yes, for sure.   My impression of making a living in the arts is that you MUST create items that rich people fancy.   The rest of us just can't afford to pay a price that covers a living wage.  

Bartering perhaps?  There are folks on this list with mechanical/electrical/automotive skills that I am in complete awe of.

Thanks @angeli. I've sold a few here and there, but with my job I don't have the time I need to sink into sculpting the way I want, which is the main reason why I want to live in a camper.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

dragonflyinthesky said:

I make a little bread and butter money with greeting cards. I haven't been promoting the cards for over a year though.

Diane

Your work is really quite lovely.
You have an amazing talent :)

Thank you kasibson. 
A little bragging. I used to sell original paintings on eBay and regularly had bidding wars, 200 to 700 bucks. I was on top of the world. Now my reality is different. Economy tanked, art is bought with disposable money. Some artists thrived , I didn't. I changed my format and now produce small items with a price point of three to 25 bucks. 
I also have to work small because my studio is the dinette in my travel trailer that I live full time in.
You may have to change your format of art. At least I still make a little money. We artists must produce and create. Its who we are.

dragonflyinthesky said:
A little bragging. I used to sell original paintings on eBay and regularly had bidding wars, 200 to 700 bucks. 

I can totally see why someone would pay that much for a larger piece :)
I'm sorry that the economy has bit you in the butt (so to speak).
I'm more a musician than any sort of visual arts, but I definitely think you have an amazing amount of talent.  For what it's worth, I'm going to frame the cards that I ordered and hang them up as the artwork that they truly are :)

I've tried selling wood carvings and signs, haven't had much success to be honest.   Every few weeks ill get an etsy sale or something.  The real money is in large pieces for this, which are even more rare.  Flea markets have only netted me one sale, for a custom job. People at those are looking to spend a couple bucks for a 'steal'.  

I thought about trying the craft shows but they are steep to get in the door.  

My best seller is the one i originally made pretty much for myself :)

Attachments

• il_570xN.899829559_85sf.jpg
    il_570xN.899829559_85sf.jpg
    99.5 KB
A friend used to do the craft circuit with handmade signs but he had a trailer set up as a wood working shop that he used on site in the shows. It was a full-time business for him, not something he dabbled at.

He did have to be one of the first ones on site so that his 'booth'/trailer could be situated before any one else set up their tents. And, of course, the last one out!

He had some signs already to go but for the most part he did all custom work. People would order their sign (size/type set/wording), pay and then come back in a couple of hours to pick it up. He'd pre-make the blanks during the week so that the lettering was the only thing done on site. It also required a fair amount of investment in router bits and a steady hand... :rolleyes:

Making money at a craft show takes a lot of due diligence to sort out which shows will be money makers for that specific craft. It also takes some time to build a reputation with the attendees and a lot of business cards. And yes, at times I had several thousand dollars tied up in booth fees, some of them up to a year in advance!

VanLifeCrisis said:
I've tried selling wood carvings and signs, haven't had much success to be honest.   Every few weeks ill get an etsy sale or something.  The real money is in large pieces for this, which are even more rare.  Flea markets have only netted me one sale, for a custom job. People at those are looking to spend a couple bucks for a 'steal'.  

I thought about trying the craft shows but they are steep to get in the door.  

My best seller is the one i originally made pretty much for myself :)

I host a fb group for vintage related sales like your sign.  We try to support each other. Request membership from me. I probabl y will be offline til tomorrow.  https://m.facebook.com/groups/120558651480888?ref=bookmarks

Joined!

As for on the spot sign making...I tought about it, but id most likely have to run a genny and im not sure how kosher that would be. Or maybe get a bigger inverter to run the router.

Just popped in to share my art but first I have to say what an amazing collection of talented, creative people there are here!

My art form of choice is life like dolls, called "reborns". Some of you may have heard of them, as they're growing in popularity. They're an art form with their own collector base, and have also been used as therapy dolls for a variety of patients, including those with Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia.

Basically, they are made of vinyl head and limbs that are painted to look as realistic as possible, down to the smallest details. They can have either painted hair or "rooted" hair, which is what I usually do. Dyed mohair is inserted into the head 1-2 hairs at a time using tiny felting needle, and this gives a very realistic look. The vinyl parts go on a cloth body and the baby is weighted to simulate the feel of a real infant. I've been creating these babies since 2002, and have been in business as a professional doll artist since 2007. The link to my website is in my siggy.

Here's my latest little guy, who was a custom order. Thanks for looking!

[img=640x471]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c11/Earthmommy/forum_zpsqzxsqzza.jpg[/img]

Sure looks real!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Someone left one of those in a car on a hot day. Police busted out a window to save the doll. Makes one wonder what else someone could do with one of those that would freak people out.

Mindylee, these are incredible. I looked thru your blog and fb. I expected them to cost more. You were fortunate to have a mentor early on.

Dragonfly

Cammalu said:
Sure looks real!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cammalu, thanks! Realism is the goal.
DannyB1954 said:
Someone left one of those in a car on a hot day. Police busted out a window to save the doll. Makes one wonder what else someone could do with one of those that would freak people out.

I know some collectors who enjoy taking them out and about and seeing how many people think they're real. My daughter has one I made for her and she used to take her with us when she was younger. Lots of people thought she was real, it was interesting the reaction we'd get when they learned she was a doll...everything from "wow cool" to "eeew creepy" LOL

Latest posts