Artists

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angeli

Reaction score
I'd love to see a discussion here with painters and photogs, quilters, knitters or lacemakers, or anyone else who wants to chime in.  I'm interested in hearing from folk who sell their work: originals, prints, online photo sites, design work, going from art fair or farmer's market or home decor fair, etc etc.  How small and simple can you go?  Where have you found your favorite spots to work, either for scenery, inspiration, or community?  Care to share a peek at what you are working on or have finished?  Where are your favorite places to market what you do?

I'll start.  I'm not on the road now, but was for several years.  About to go on the road again. This little drawing is about 8 x 10, done in graphite on Bristol paper, sourced from a photo taken in the woods in the Santa Monica Mountains just NW of Los Angeles.  It is a small egg that had fallen from it's nest into a bed of pine needles.  About 25 hours.

I would imagine that to continue doing this style of work I'd need enough solar storage for lights on demand, and to charge my camera and laptop.  I assume I'd also have to find a place I could stay stable for a few weeks. 

OK!  Who's next?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB
Illustrators! Sorry, I forgot illustrators.

I'm in awe of talented people; the only thing I can offer is appreciation of their work.

My goal is to somehow figure out a way to make some money off my photography. No idea how that's going to happen. I thought about having a bunch of prints on hand and visit flea market, swap meets, fairs, and where ever it made sense. However, I doubt this will be enough to pay the bills, but, you don't know unless you try.

Little drawing? Holy cow looks like a photo. Unreal talent.

I'm a hobby sewer, needle felter and any craft that I can play with. I don't do it for sale or anything though. It's more of a hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ohh, wow, for some reason I thought it was a B&W photo. Very awesome!

I am a painter and have been for 40 years sold many paintings on and off the road. 16 x 20 is the largest I will go on the road otherwise I am inundated with wet canvas. $75-$150 is the sweet spot local interest works, drama , have sold paintings wet right off the easel. I don't wear a beret.

Queen, all of us are creative and talented if we let ourselves be.  You wouldn't be a van dweller if you weren't able to think outside the box!  Your signature says it all!!  :)

Phillipaaron and Camalu thanks so much for your kind words.  Phillip have you thought about selling rights, in addition to local fairs?  I mean like creating stock photos of country scenes, etc?  I know it's not big money, but it's passive income anyway.  Just a thought.

Truck camper what a nice landscape!  It does seem as though that would have a local appeal.  Where do you most like to sell?  Or are you doing different things for different markets?  How do you work a studio into a camper?  Tx so much for your patience with my questions, I'm hoping some more artists will chime in.

angeli said:
Queen, all of us are creative and talented if we let ourselves be.  You wouldn't be a van dweller if you weren't able to think outside the box!  Your signature says it all!!  :)

Phillipaaron and Camalu thanks so much for your kind words.  Phillip have you thought about selling rights, in addition to local fairs?  I mean like creating stock photos of country scenes, etc?  I know it's not big money, but it's passive income anyway.  Just a thought.

Truck camper what a nice landscape!  It does seem as though that would have a local appeal.  Where do you most like to sell?  Or are you doing different things for different markets?  How do you work a studio into a camper?  Tx so much for your patience with my questions, I'm hoping some more artists will chime in.

You may call me wagoneer just a bunch of paint in a box canvas and a small easel. If i don't sell them I give them away. It's the process I am interested in not the money. Once did the craftsman thing and had a Hardon about getting paid. But those days are over then my wife took the ones she liked and I am forced to look at them all the time. Just can't catch a break

wagoneer said:
You may call me wagoneer just a bunch of paint in a box canvas and a small easel. If i don't sell them I give them away. It's the process I am interested in not the money. Once did the craftsman thing and had a Hardon about getting paid. But those days are over then my wife took the ones she liked and I am forced to look at them all the time. Just can't catch a break

Wagoneer so sorry!  I have no idea why my brain saw one thing and wrote another.  Senior moments coming more quickly these days!  Good luck with your painting, for sure.

None of us paint to get rich unless we are seriously deluded.  But I'd hoped to generate a discussion with folks like me who have worked in this area, have sold and want to or continue to sell, and some of the ways they do that.  That's why I posted here and not on the hobby thread.   :)

I'm especially interested in creating studio space while van dwelling, since it is a 'necessary activity' but takes a bit of room.  Like a home office in your rig with storage space.  For ex: where do folk put their work in progress, or paintings that have to dry?

When I was running in my tiny trailer with a husband and three dogs, trying to work was a problem to be solved.  And then there is the need to carry a canopy and booth setup if you are going to do fairs.  Or be able to have space to do framing, or a place to photograph or scan a work for online sale.  I've done this while off road, but didn't sell much when I was last full timing.  As well, the online arts biz is a whole new world.  So how about it folks?  

I have a suspicion that I might be looking at trading Josephine in for a bus... shhhhh... don't tell her!

I'm a professional artist, and have been for over 30+ years.

But I have a full-on shop, with a truck bay (for lettering and pinstriping trucks, hot-rods, and whatever else rolls in), and I also have a full studio for doing my illustrations and paintings.

I never had much luck with working fairs, but by selling over the interwebs has produced sales not only all over the U.S., but to Russia and Japan.

I'm actually gearing up so that I spend most of my time producing fine art, and letting the sign work part of my business go to the side. And hopefully, this will also allow me the freedon to travel much more!! :D

Patrick that is so cool!!

I work much smaller than you do, LOL. Yeah isn't art on the internet amazing?  I've met artists all over the world, including Russia and South America.  Never sold one to Japan, tho.  That must be a thrill!  :)    How would you travel with your art, do you think?  Do you feel like attaching a pic of one of yours, (please??).

I'd love to get to the point that the art would fund some fuel and travel exp to get around to some good landscape painting views.

I'd also love to know other artists in this community.

High Desert Sky.jpg
Just having fun with landscapes!  Can't help it.
:p

Attachments

• High Desert Sky.jpg
    High Desert Sky.jpg
    1.3 MB
Big sky nice watercolor the highlighted hill do it for me. As for the wet paintings I built a slotted holder with 2 x 2's and just slide em in careful not to run the paint couple days and they are moveable. I stick to 16 x 20 or smaller on the road, pick up frames and repurpose them on the road.

That's always been a concern, Wagoneer.  I paint pretty wet, so I've wondered how to keep those paintings from being damaged by having them bouncing around in the rack.  I guess you'd have to make the slots tight enough...

build yourself a stackable rack, that has thumbscrews that screw in from the sides.

Stick your painting into the rack, and snug down the thumbscrews. Nice and sano!

That's impressive even for an 8x10. You've been at this for a while. Carrying paper and graphite/supplies is probably simpler and easier than supplies for a wet medium. I don't yet have the patience for that kind of work.
I carry portable watercolor and small paper all the time, it's both easy to set up and put away.
I also take oil supplies at times (no solvents).  I made a small carrier to carry several up to 9x12 canvas boards or a few stretched canvases.
I paint for my own growth and pleasure, not for sale.  I'm still learning, and I'm not a salesperson,  :D
but I have gifted or traded a time or two.

Wagoneer, your work is beautiful. Sorry I didn't make it to the RTR, it's too dusty, windy, cold for me. Sadly, I've become a hothouse flower in my old age  :(
I'm learning plein air--here's 2 recent ones: The buildings are 6 x 7.5" watercolor, the landscape is about 6x8 oil on canvas paper.
P5191409.JPG

P5091419.JPG

Attachments

• P5191409.JPG
    P5191409.JPG
    141.7 KB
  • P5091419.JPG
    P5091419.JPG
    149.7 KB
Patrick46 said:
build yourself a stackable rack, that has thumbscrews that screw in from the sides.

Stick your painting into the rack, and snug down the thumbscrews. Nice and sano!

Patrick, that's a great idea!  Probably easier to do if paintings are on canvas, but still possible on board.  Thanks!  (Still want to see one of yours...). ?

Nice, Pronk! They look pretty portable, too. I'd think they would sell well. Have you had much luck with them so far?