Are you really happy as a nomad?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanman2300

Reaction score
It appears most people who post on youtube and other forums are exceedingly happy with the life. What say you? Do you think most are pleased with the choice or that there are a significant number of people who think they made a bad choice.

I was at my happiest the 14 years I was on the road before having to settle down to do elder care etc. for almost a decade...sigh!

Now that I'm back on the road again, I can tell you that it will take one hell of a big problem that I can't solve any other way before I ever voluntarily settle down again. I will do everything in my power to never have to live a stationary life ever again.

I just finished a stint of a month living in a house and aside from having all kinds of problems with my new DIL that we won't get in to here (it would be a long, long post  rant.... :D :D :rolleyes: ), I couldn't wait to get out of that house and get back to living in my van. I breathed the biggest sigh of relief when I parked that first night...this is home!!

I am thankful every day for my  home on wheels and my freedom!

You have to talk the youtube personas with a grain of salt. The vast majority of those channels show only the best few minutes of each day in that person's life. Most of it is staged, not real at all. So their "happiness" may not necessarily reflect their real every-day life. My own blog included.

It varies for each person of course, but I am much happier now then I ever was before I started traveling.

We are extremely happy but guessing whether other people are happy just from youtube videos or forum posts is an impossible task. About half a dozen people whom we consider good friends are fulltime vehicle dwellers and they are all happy with it. Most of the fulltimers that we've met at the RTRs seem to be happy too.

On the other hand, it's definitely not the life for many people. Anyone who is hesitating should try it out for several months before giving up their stationary ties. It's also a good idea to have an emergency sum of money set aside in case it doesn't work out. Don't get stuck in a situation where you do not have a choice. If you find that you do not enjoy it, part time vandwelling or fulltime stationary living should always be an option.

many peoples whom blogs I started following 5-6 years ago are not on the road anymore. Guess they needed perspective...and that's a-ok. it's about freedom to find that.

Yes, I'm very happy and coming up on three years now. Freedom, nothing else like it.

A major difference is in the word choose, if you choose the lifestyle it makes sense you can also un-choose. Some people have no chance to un-choose when the ties are cut and they drift away they should remember to bring a paddle I suppose some people buck up and don't wanna own the fact they can't handle full time but are really trying, i feel for them. Like being lost
I am not full-time for various personal reasons and I honestly do not know how I would honestly react.

I'm having the time of my life. :)

But of course van-traveling is not some magical escape from real life with unicorns and chocolate fountains. Indeed, much of van life is the same boring drudgery of day to day living: I still have to wash up, do laundry, make a living, and cook dinner---but now I do all that in a space that is smaller than the average prison cell. The flip side though is that I get to travel to lots of cool places, stay there as long as I want, and then go wherever else I feel like going.

So I think whether one is happy in van life depends a lot open whether one was happy to begin with. If you are trying to escape from a bad or unhappy life, van-traveling will probably not help you do that. Most of our problems are inside our head, and we take ourselves with us wherever we go. (Or, as Buckaroo Banzai put it so well, "Wherever you go, there you are.") No matter how fast we run or how far we roam, we can't escape ourselves.

EDIT: I think the key word though is "choice". It's a good lifestyle if one has the resources to make it work, if one CHOOSES to live in it, and if one always has the option to exit if necessary. If one is forced into it by bad circumstances and has no CHOICE (being homeless, being poor, divorce, layoff, etc etc etc) then it can be an awfully shitty life.

Thanks for all the responses so far. I've been following many different blogs, vlogs, etc for at least 2 years as I mull over a nomadic life. I'm on the cusp of taking the leap. Things have alligned for me as best they can in terms of family responsibilities, timing, and means to reach retirement without hardship.

The big question is whether it will be what I hope the lifestyle to be based on my observations of others in that life now. Its just that the good and bad aspects of a nomadic life seems to fit me very well and that makes me even more cautious since the worst problems usually arise when things appear just great. And that is the genesis of the question in this post.

I've seen multiple that leave the vehicle-only nomad life. Will Prowse just did and many more.

The fact that people get "disillusioned" means that they were "illusioned" in the first place.
So don't be "illusioned".

That's a simplistic question and perspective to a loaded, multifaceted situational reality. Just because one is happy doesn't mean all, others or you will be happy. I am tickled pink with the freedom and liberty. But it takes finances to be able to do so. And happy with new places to travel.
The long term happiness due to these factors may not, probably not, be sustainable.
But what an adventure!
For most, if not all, probably a stage in their life. Not ideal for the extroverts, insecure and uncertain. There are downsides of loneliness, uncertainty, acceptance and social outcast. This lifestyle is ideally suited for the introverted, minimalist and independents, ideally. Lol.

I've only been full timing for a little over a month so it is way too early to tell. So far I am very happy but I have been busy getting settled in and getting the van the way I like it. With that said I did this by choice so I agree that makes a huge difference. I also took a lot of time to plan and prepare for it.

I had a lot of free time to build out my van and I realize that a lot of people don't have that luxury. It took a while to realize what was important to me in my build. But in the end I took my time to build out the things I wanted so that I would be comfortable. I didn't want to "just get by".

With the van about 98% done I love living in it. I did just finish a long road trip with my daughter so experiences like that are things I'll always remember. But I also work a full time job with very odd hours and lots of travel. So even though I am in the van full time I spend quite a few nights each month in hotels taking very long hot showers and enjoying the amenities like pool and spa when weather permits.

I guess only time will tell how long I will do it but I hope to still be active on the forum for years to come and still living the nomadic lifestyle.

lenny flank said:
I'm having the time of my life.  :)

But of course van-traveling is not some magical escape from real life with unicorns and chocolate fountains.

What? You haven't? You need to get out of the city more often. Seen magical, chocolate covered unicorns all the time. You just have to believe, seek, and you will find. ;)

Here's proof;
Griffin unicorns
IMG_20171101_164351-480x640.jpg

Waterfalls were you can spot them sometimes at sunset if you're lucky and very very quiet...
IMG_20171025_141413-640x480.jpg

Unicorn shade trees
IMG_20171018_114331-480x640.jpg

And even witches well
IMG_20171013_113253-640x480.jpg
:). ;)

Attachments

• IMG_20171101_164351-480x640.jpg
    IMG_20171101_164351-480x640.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20171025_141413-640x480.jpg
    IMG_20171025_141413-640x480.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20171018_114331-480x640.jpg
    IMG_20171018_114331-480x640.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20171013_113253-640x480.jpg
    IMG_20171013_113253-640x480.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 24
I’ve temporarily stopped roaming to care for my mom. I can honestly say I was never happier than when I was traveling/living in my moho and then van. I can’t wait to get back on the road.

Minivanmotoman said:
That's a simplistic question and perspective to a loaded, multifaceted situational reality. Just because one is happy doesn't mean all, others or you will be happy. I am tickled pink with the freedom and liberty. But it takes finances to be able to do so. And happy with new places to travel.
The long term happiness due to these factors may not, probably not,  be sustainable.
But what an adventure!
For most, if not all, probably a stage in their life. Not ideal for the extroverts, insecure and uncertain. There are downsides of loneliness, uncertainty, acceptance and social outcast. This lifestyle is ideally suited for the introverted, minimalist and independents, ideally. Lol.
I'm sure its an adventure and that's a good way to look at it. As far as a stage in life I'm hoping its the last stage.?

vanman2300 said:
It appears most people who post on youtube and other forums are exceedingly happy with the life. What say you? Do you think most are pleased with the choice or that there are a significant number of people who think they made a bad choice.

The only regret I have is not starting the lifestyle earlier. Once I've tried it, I don't want to leave it, even if it's part-time, or sporadic time  :)

Just because someone changes their lifestyle doesn't mean their old one was a mistake that gave them nothing but regrets. It often just means they were ready to move on to the next thing.

Also, apartment and house dwelling lifestyles have just as many annoyances and downsides. You probably don't see a lot of blogs of people complaining about trying for the 5th time to fix their leaky toilet or their slightly annoying neighbors or spending half their income on rent. People post when things are going great or going terribly due to external forces. Nobody feels driven to post videos about how their day was slightly disappointing or fine but boring, and nobody would want to watch anyway. Unless you're really hot or famous, then people will watch anything you post.

Latest posts