are these really safe?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a bit like opening pandoras box. Half say they're totally safe. Half say they're dangerous as forked lightning. All I know is that the 1lb bottles say it's a violation of federal law to transport a refilled bottle. Others say that law only pertains to commercial vehicles. I use a 20 pound tank with an adapter to run my stuff. That's just me.

After I posted this, I seem to remember Bob saying there is oil (or something) added to LP that goes into larger tanks; this to help with the rubber hoses or lines. Can't quite remember it exactly, but he said this is why you need a filter for the Mr. Buddy heater, so it doesn't clog. This isn't in the smaller tanks because there's no hoses, direct connection.

Surely if you're filling these small tanks from a large LP bottle you're getting some of that oil or what ever it is. That's enough for me to pass.

thanks for the feedback.

broken ed said:
After I posted this, I seem to remember Bob saying there is oil (or something) added to LP that goes into larger tanks; 

The hose contaminates.  No hose, no problem.

First off, the way the green bottle is shown being filled in the ad is going to fill the bottle with propane vapor, not propane liquid; so you might get 10 minutes use out of a refilled green bottle.  The proper way to fill is with the 20# tank inverted, so you fill with liquid.  That requires something to hold the 20# tank upside down (something else to drag around with you).

Since you need a 20# tank to fill them, why not spend the equivalent of a 4-pack of 1# bottles and get a hose that will attach your 20# tank directly to whatever you are fueling?

The fill kit for the green bottle has a holder to hold the 20# bottle upside down.

The Dire Wolfess

broken ed said:
After I posted this, I seem to remember Bob saying there is oil (or something) added to LP that goes into larger tanks; this to help with the rubber hoses or lines. Can't quite remember it exactly, but he said this is why you need a filter for the Mr. Buddy heater, so it doesn't clog. This isn't in the smaller tanks because there's no hoses, direct connection.

Surely if you're filling these small tanks from a large LP bottle you're getting some of that oil or what ever it is. That's enough for me to pass.

thanks for the feedback.

the "oil" is ethyl mercaptan, it is an oil so to speak but it is not a lube, more like a VOC (volatile organic compound). in its pure form it looks and feels like an oil but it is the odorant. as the propane boils off from liquid to vapor the ethyl mercaptan that was mixed in vaporizes with it and give propane (and natural gas) the smell. propane has no natural odor so the ethyl mercaptan is added to make it smell.

the ethyl mercaptan is very potent, they add only a few pounds to each 8,000 gallon semi truck tank load

all propane and natural gas for general use is odorized regardless of the size tank/bottle. it is there so we can smell a leak

You may need a filter for some types of hoses used for propane. The "oil" in the rubber breaks down and the hose could plug the orifice.

i's an impotant man, so i's 'loud in the front oface.

Trebor English, Seminole Wind and Weight; Thanks for the education! It is incredibly useful to understand what going with this stuff before making a decision. In the past I have broke a Mr. Buddy heater before I knew about the filters by connecting it with a hose to a large tank. And before I knew you could service a Mr. Buddy heater.

I could see this being useful. Spaceman Spiff - your question may be rhetorical but I could see several reasons I might want to do this. If in a cargo trailer or similar small space I would rather have the small bottle inside with me. No hose or line to deal with or trip over. Just me thinking, but a couple of small bottles filled would be nice if you only wanted or had room for one large LP tank. It would give you time to get a refill without running out... not really sure how long a small bottle would least however.

Of course usage would determine how long a small bottle lasts but for a point of reference on my boat I used a Coleman tent heater. Pretty small and low BTU output but a small bottle lasted about 6 hours.

My favorite propane safety story is the Orlando couple transporting the back yard BBQ in the back of the SUV.  The tank valve was open and one of the burner controls got accidentally turned on but the gas wasn't lit.  A couple of miles down the road the passenger lit a cigarette and kaboom!  The windows blew out and all the sheet metal was wrinkled.  

The lessons are 1) always turn off the tank valve when it is not actually in use, 2) never use propane in an unventilated contained space and 3) there must be an awake alert person at the appliance.  I always refill my one pounders outside.  At Ace Hardware where they refill 20 pounders it is outside.  There must be enough air to dilute the propane to the point where it won't burn.

This is is a direct copy and past from the user manual on page 5 of a Mr. Heater Buddy (PORTABLE BUDDY RADIANT HEATER, Model # MH9BX)

"Or use F273704 Buddy series hose. Fuel filter not required."

I did not know until a cracked the user manual again there was a hose available that did not require a filter. It's on Amazon here if anyone would like to know more.

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Bu...ocphy=9027208&hvtargid=pla-274433521894&psc=1

This goes to what many of you have been saying...

Trebor English said:
My favorite propane safety story is the Orlando couple transporting the back yard BBQ in the back of the SUV.  The tank valve was open and one of the burner controls got accidentally turned on but the gas wasn't lit.  A couple of miles down the road the passenger lit a cigarette and kaboom!  The windows blew out and all the sheet metal was wrinkled.  

The lessons are 1) always turn off the tank valve when it is not actually in use, 2) never use propane in an unventilated contained space and 3) there must be an awake alert person at the appliance.  I always refill my one pounders outside.  At Ace Hardware where they refill 20 pounders it is outside.  There must be enough air to dilute the propane to the point where it won't burn.

they must have had plugged noses, that would have stunk to high heaven before they lit up...

Seminole Wind said:
they must have had plugged noses, that would have stunk to high heaven before they lit up...

Like gasoline propane is much heavier than air.  I'm sure the propane accumulated by their feet and their faces were above most of it.

that is a misnomer. while in large quantities most will settle and accumulate in low spots or flow down hill. the difference in weight is slight and it will still mix same as the ethyl mercaptan. if there was enough there to go BOOM there was enough to smell. that is why they put the oderant in there in the first place.

Seminole Wind said:

or something other than tobacco in those cigarettes.