Are there any threads about pop-up campers?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuliaAnne2018

Reaction score
This Android Tapatalk app search tool doesn't work well, sorry. Anyway, I didn't want my mom to worry about me possibly living in my car for the winter, so I might by a 4x8 pop-up for only $250 on Craigslist and get it ready for winter. And I might be parkes at my uncle's house most of the time. When it gets too cold, I may find a place to board my dog til it warms up. I live in WI, so I'm not sure if I'd do it in January or February, but the rest of the year should be ok as long as I insulate it and heat it well.

I was going to study the "Foamie" thread some more which seems to apply.

Sent from my RS500 using Tapatalk

camped out in a teardrop made from r5 insulation foam, still was 46f inside in the mornings in fall. you will freeze to death in the popup without hardcore winter gear. you should ask around on some winter temp camping forums. or just move the warmer weather. im planning to full time in a 5x10 teardrop foamy.

]Did you use heat in the winter? I'm stuck here for various reasons, so moving south or west is not an option.

Just build a foam box around it and cover the foam box with PMF, sort of a home made garage attached to the popup. Be sure to include some vents. If you can use a plug in a couple 1500 watt heaters should keep it warm. If it doesn't work out sell it to an ice fisherman as an ice fishing shack.

You should do ok as long as you insulate as well as possible. However at that price point there's a chance you're buying something with black mold, water damage, or some other catastrophic failure. Learn how to properly inspect a trailer before taking a look at it.

If you get a Mr. Buddy propane heater you shouldn't have much trouble in the winter. I've heard of people using it in their poorly insulated vehicles in the winter and having to turn it off because it got too hot inside even on the lowest setting.

On YouTube there's a channel called Little House on the Road. They lived in a popup camper for a year before some lunatic burned it down and they have some good tips for living in a popup.

I might be changing my mind and making my own. The other problem is, my car's towing capacity is only 1,000 pounds. I've gotten some good ideas from the information I read and watched concerning these DIY trailers.

I've slept in a pop-up tent camper during hunting season (early to mid November) in Northern Minnesota.  It can be 'uncomfortable'; they are basically a tent on a trailer.  Very expensive to heat as you have no insulation.

Have you considered a teardrop trailer?

JuliaAnne2018 said:
I might be changing my mind and making my own. The other problem is, my car's towing capacity is only 1,000 pounds. I've gotten some good ideas from the information I read and watched concerning these DIY trailers.

Towing capacity in the United States is grossly underestimated. For example in the us the VW golf has zero towing capacity but the exact same car in Europe has a 2000 lb capacity. Go figure. Just about any car can tow a tiny popup or teardrop, or small cargo trailer.

Too late now. Already decided to make my own. :)

Foamies on Tnttt.com will make it happen but you won't be able to build much more than a sleeping space and with camping gear it can get heavy quick, so keep it light. Also consider putting a 13" tire on it as the smaller tires are lucky to last 8,000 miles.

Update: I spent way too much time in Home Depot today, but this WI gal is not going to freeze her A off this winter. I found out for this climate region at least R13 on up to at least R30 insulation is recommended. Got spray foam for the corners and gaps too.

Keep us updated. What size will you build and what will you be towing with?

Hi Bulldrog, I plan to build a 6x8 structure and find a trailer at least that size or make my own trailer. I originally was going to do 5x8 but unfortunately my money came in a day too late to get the trailer I found on CL. I also have to install a hitch on my car or get a different vehicle. But I won't be traveling a lot for now. Because the car is old. I know I can at least make it two hours at a time though.

Watch_Cowspiracy said:
Towing capacity in the United States is grossly underestimated. For example in the us the VW golf has zero towing capacity but the exact same car in Europe has a 2000 lb capacity. Go figure. Just about any car can tow a tiny popup or teardrop, or small cargo trailer.
Note Euro vehicles standards are very different.

Trailer weight centered, little ball weight.

Special anti-sway mechanism mandatory, built into hitch.

Very slow speed limits when towing.

Strict enforcement of weights and balancing by police.

So it is irresponsible to just say Go For It, without stating in-depth technical research is needed for safety.

If your illegal rig causes a big accident, your insurance can walk away and the driver / owner is on the hook for millions, maybe criminal charges.

I orginally started with a 4' x 6' utility trailer that was to small as it had a 1500 lb. axle with 12" tires. Wind resistance and weight became a problem once I made it stand up height. If you are going to build a single axle trailer I would recomend using an axle twice the weight you think you need that uses 15" tires. That way if you later want to expand or haul more gear you can. There are quite a lot of smaller old camper trailers that have leaked making them junk but the frames are fairly light weight and cheap. Sometimes if they have been sitting owners will give them to you just to get them hauled off. If someone has removed the body the price will be higher as it is a lot of dirty work to get it off the frame but you also get a lot of usable parts you can recycle. Two place jet ski trailers look like they would work for the size you are wanting also.

JA, if you check there are youtube videos around of people who, for instance, started with a flat trailer they got from Harbor Freight/wherever, and built their own teardrop style houses on top. Similar to this trailer.
https://www.harborfreight.com/autom...x-96-in-super-duty-folding-trailer-62647.html

As BF indicates, a house you can stand in will be rather heavy, but teardrop size will be about 1/2 the weight. However, most teardrop trailers have about only enough room for a bed, and maybe a pantry in the back opening to outside. But you could sleep in there in cold weather with good insulation and a small heater.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=diy+teardrop+camper

As spiff indicated, popup campers have canvas sides and you'd freeze to death in one of those.

I decided not to make my own trailer. I'm still making my own "house" though. Whether popup or other, you just have to know how to protect yourself from the cold. I'm using light enough wall materials but r30 insulation and foam for the corners. I should be okay. I originally was going to put my rig on a 6x12 trailer I saw on CL, but I was a day too late on snagging that deal. Now I gotta wait until another one like it comes along for that cheap.

I'm using some lumber to help support it kind of like a tiny house.

It may help to look at the sort of framing that the DIY teardrop people used. If might also be a useful to build it up with such dimensions that you could eventually put it on a trailer when you get one. In that case, you would probably want to use a bit more framing than if it were just sitting on the ground permanently. And maybe leave space for where a kitchen and pantry might go, and build them up later.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=diy+teardrop+camper

Latest posts