Are CDLs required for large busses?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Class B is also a commercial driver license. Like many threads on this website, it's off topic. Working in the past for DPS (Department of Public Safety) Any straight bus (a bus that does not bend in the middle) requires a Class B licenses with a P (passenger) endorsement and Air-brake if so equipped. Special note: Air-brake is an additional written test and is included on a Class A or B unless the license states no air-brake; this because the licensee did not take or pass the air-brake test. Operation of all commercial vehicles also requires a DOT (Department of Transportation) Physical. Although many people (including those that post on this website) believes this occurs every two years, this is not the case. Two years is the maximum for a DOT Physical, however based on your health they can be yearly, every six months or not at all if you fail.

This applies weather or not the bus has passengers. In addition the railroad crossing rule applies (stopping before all crossings, opening the door, looking and listening for oncoming trains before proceeding), again even if there are no passengers.

A state cannot require you to have additional endorsements, drivers license, registration, inspection or insurance then that of your home state. This includes if your home state has changed the designation of a vehicle, including if a bus is now an RV (recreational vehicle). Commercial vehicles that travel for Interstate Commerce are also regulated under the ICC (Interstate Commerce Commission).

As entertaining as this thread is; it, and you tube and of course my words are no defense. The best advice here was for you to check with the authorities in your state.

true, still off topic. when off topic it doesn't help the person seeking answers...

broken ed said:
A Class B is also a commercial driver license. Like many threads on this website, it's off topic. Working in the past for DPS (Department of Public Safety) Any straight bus (a bus that does not bend in the middle) requires a Class B licenses with a P (passenger) endorsement and Air-brake if so equipped. Special note: Air-brake is an additional written test and is included on a Class A or B unless the license states no air-brake; this because the licensee did not take or pass the air-brake test. Operation of all commercial vehicles also requires a DOT (Department of Transportation) Physical. Although many people (including those that post on this website) believes this occurs every two years, this is not the case. Two years is the maximum for a DOT Physical, however based on your health they can be yearly, every six months or not at all if you fail.

This applies weather or not the bus has passengers. In addition the railroad crossing rule applies (stopping before all crossings, opening the door, looking and listening for oncoming trains before proceeding), again even if there are no passengers.

A state cannot require you to have additional endorsements, drivers license, registration, inspection or insurance then that of your home state. This includes if your home state has changed the designation of a vehicle, including if a bus is now an RV (recreational vehicle). Commercial vehicles that travel for Interstate Commerce are also regulated under the ICC (Interstate Commerce Commission).

As entertaining as this thread is; it, and you tube and of course my words are no defense. The best advice here was for you to check with the authorities in your state.

There is a mix of correct and incorrect info here...the main corrections are: You can get NON-CDL Class A and B license. They exist.

School bus drivers also need a School Bus endorsement to a CDL in most states, not just a Passenger Endorsement.

Not ALL CDL's require a DOT medical exam and certification. Most do, but not ALL. I currently have one.

And finally, the ICC is gone. Poof! Congress abolished that agency in 1995. (FMCSA and USDOT now regulate interstate motor carriers)

Anyway, the point for the OP is that they will not be needing a School Bus endorsement or a CDL IF they get the bus certified as an RV or motorhome.

So just to condense the responses, if you buy an old school bus or comercial bus that is registered as such you must have a proper comercial driver's license for that vehicle in your state of residence. Once it is converted to an RV meeting the requirements of your state of residency and registered as such a regular driver's license is all that is required. I'm sure certain special circumstances such as buying an already converted vehicle in another state than your residence or a noncomercial vehicle that has not been converted to an RV may have different requirements in different states and checking with state agencies first would be the correct thing to do as well as seeing if securing insurance is possible.

Thanks for the comprehensive summary, Bullfrog. I spent a lot of hours contemplating skoolie ownership since my daughter moved into one, and I thought for a while that this could make a good home for me as well. School buses are well made to begin with as they are intended to transport children. The diesels usually last a very long time when taken care of. If I wasn't able to buy a high roof van I'd definitely still be considering a mini-skoolie rather than a low roof van.

I would like to thank everyone for their replies. Getting a commercial driver's license has advantages I had not considered:
1. Making money transporting buses, RVs, etc.
tx2sturgis:
"The FMCSA is an agency that regulates 'motor carriers' that cross state lines (or haul hazardous materials anywhere) in commerce....they have no power whatsoever to regulate private motorhomes and RVs, UNLESS you are being paid to drive or haul one, (or carry paying passengers within it) across state lines, such as when you are 'transporting' it 'for hire', from manufacturer to dealer (or seller to buyer) etc."
2. Buying an unconverted bus, possibly in another state, and needing to transport it prior to conversion.
bullfrog:
"I'm sure certain special circumstances such as buying an already converted vehicle in another state than your residence or a noncomercial vehicle that has not been converted to an RV may have different requirements in different states and checking with state agencies first would be the correct thing to do as well as seeing if securing insurance is possible."

Hello to all that drive class C's or class A's.... No need to have a CDL but from what i have seen i wish they would change that.
You have to think "Drive the butt end"!!!! When turning right hug that lane to the left of you...ride the line!!!!!do not start your turn until you are looking down the lane you want to be in. Better to turn to wide that hit someone on the curb. When you turn left if there's two lanes be in the on to the right so no car can give you the squeeze. I will be at the WRTR if any ladies need tips. BTW i am a retired lady truck drive. You can do it!!!! Hugs!!!!

ladeeblaze said:
No need to have a CDL but from what i have seen i wish they would change that.

I agree 100%.

In this country (in most states) you can't ride a 100 pound, 50cc moped that tops out at 30mph on the street legally without the appropriate license or endorsement, but in most states anyone (or a 16 year old fresh out of driver training) CAN go to an RV dealer and buy a 45 foot, 40,000 pound Prevost motorhome (RV!) with airbrakes and hook it up to a 30 foot long car-hauler trailer with airbrakes and scaling out at 25,000 pounds loaded and with NO training at all, take your first LEGAL drive up Cajon Pass or down Monarch Pass or over Wolf Creek Pass or on the Million Dollar Highway in the middle of winter.

Completely legal in about half the states (at least), with a normal driver's license for cars.

Insanity. (in my opinion)

:dodgy:

Another BTW, in Texas, in that above example I gave, (motorhome over 26,000 GVW and trailer over 10,000 GVW) it would require the driver to take a test for a Class A (MH+trailer) or Class B (if no trailer) non-CDL and receive the Class A or Class B Driver's License.

It is NOT a CDL, it is a "Class A or B non-CDL". This is not the same as a Class C or D (regular driver license in most states) license that also is NOT a CDL.

Confused? 

I would assume and hope that most states have this sytem, but I know of many that do not. On these forums, we are dealing with many different states and different laws.

We really should have a 'sticky' for this topic. Not to beat a dead horse, but we need to be accurate here, as mistakes can cost money! And this topic comes up fairly often and the answers end up all over the map.

Looking around the interweb, I found a few exemptions, to the exemptions. There is a federal exemption given to RVs of any size, as far as a commercial drivers license is concerned, but a few states (eight of them) apparently DO require a CDL for very large, long, or heavy RVs.

Assuming most full-timers here can choose an 'RV friendly' state for residence and driver's license, this should not be a problem for most members here. But, there are a few exceptions for residents in a few states where the CDL is apparently required IF the Motorhome or RV is over a certain GVW or length.

On the linked page here, 'Special License' refers to a non-CDL, (non commercial) Class A, Class B, or in some cases, 'Class E', and apparently, according to this source, there are eight states that want you to have a CDL to drive RVs over the GVW of 26,000 pounds:

https://rvshare.com/rv/do-you-need-a-special-license-to-drive-an-rv

And in the next link below is a summary of the relevant rules. Again, in most states, any and ALL RVs are exempt from any special license, but a few do require a Class A or Class B (some call it a Class E) non-commercial drivers license IF the motorhome or RV is over a GVW of 26,000 pounds, and/or the trailer is over a GVW of 10,000 pounds, or both.

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-state-rv-license.shtml

Again this is assuming personal, private use of the RV. Commercial use of the RV, ie, transporting them or driving them for pay DOES require a CDL in most cases.

Thanks, tx2 Good info to have handy. Got it bookmarked.

While looking around, I found another forum where the question was asked about whether the 'Class A' or 'Class B' on a driver's license referred to the categories of Class A, Class B, or Class C motorhomes.....

Nope.

But I can sure see how it might be confusing!

For what it's worth, in regards to converting title of a commercial vehicle to a motorhome, in North Carolina:
General Statues GS+20-4.01 (27) k.

Motor home or house car. –
A vehicular unit, designed to provide temporary living quarters, built into as an integral part, or
permanently attached to, a self-propelled motor vehicle chassis or van.
The vehicle must provide at least four of the following facilities:
cooking, refrigeration or icebox, self-contained toilet, heating or air conditioning, a portable water supply system
including a faucet and sink, separate 110-125 volt electrical power supply, or an LP gas supply.

My personal plan is to outfit a step van with all eight! :)

Kenwrite said:
For what it's worth, in regards to converting title of a commercial vehicle to a motorhome, in North Carolina:
General Statues  GS+20-4.01 (27) k.

Motor home or house car. –
A vehicular unit, designed to provide temporary living quarters, built into as an integral part, or
permanently attached to, a self-propelled  motor  vehicle  chassis  or van.
The vehicle must provide at least four of the following facilities:  
cooking, refrigeration or icebox, self-contained toilet, heating or air conditioning, a portable water supply system
including a faucet and sink, separate 110-125 volt electrical power supply, or an LP gas supply.

My personal plan is to outfit a step van with all eight!  :)
:D  It's too bad you have no ambition.   :p

Latest posts