Are CDLs required for large busses?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive had two 35ft rear engine school buses converted to RV's. I don't think you need a cdl if it is an RV.

tx2sturgis said:
And I swerved into another website with all the relevant laws.

Sure does save me a lot of typing!...although they lead you to believe the laws are based on what your RV weighs, when in reality, it's the GVW RATING...not the actual weight.

https://www.outdoorsy.com/blog/guide-rv-drivers-licenses-requirements

Hi tx2sturgis.  I was reviewing this thread (actually I'm creating a bookmark folder with the links people have provided).  I was going through the lists provided, going down the list in RV Driver's Licence Requirements when I came to Kansas, where I discovered a discrepancy between this link and Never Idle Journal which had different information.

The first link says: 
KS  N (Y > 26k lb)  DL Web Site
Above 26,000 lb GVWR or GCWR requires non-commercial Class A or B
Feb 14

The second link says:
2017 DMV Regulations: States and Situations That Require a Commercial Driver’s License
Kansas (Commercial Driver’s License, Class A needed for over 26K)

1. Which is correct?
2. Are there discrepancies for other states?

I think I read in Escapee's magaazine that Texas is in the process of inplementing some.

With reciprocity, it only comes into effect when choosing which state to domicile in.

My California Class B comercial driver's license with no restrictions and no endorsement allows operation of a heavy bus gvrw over26,000lbs standard shift or automatic including airbrakes but no passengers. Also requires a current dmv medical on file with dmv + copy on hand
This would be used for transport or
Solo operation.

Latest posts