Anyway around window reflectix?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theiznezz

Reaction score
I'm trying to find ideas on insulating my rig. I live in PA. Cold winters and hot summers. I just keep reflectix on my windows year round. I miss my windows and being able to look out and open them. Does any body have a better idea?

Theiznezz said:
I'm trying to find ideas on insulating my rig. I live in PA. Cold winters and hot summers. I just keep reflectix on my windows year round. I miss my windows and being able to look out and open them. Does any body have a better idea?

For the summer time heat reflective film installed on the windows. The 3M ceramic version is likely the most effective product being sold for this purpose, the price reflects that, it is not cheap stuff.

If you are going to do a DIY install you will need to go to Ebay to purchase it in smaller quantities. Then of course do need to watch youtube videos where professionals show how to properly install it. You will need to clean the windows, apply some fluid with a spray bottle, the film gets smoothed down with a squeege, edges have to be trimmed, etc.

The reflective film will help somewhat to keep the heat inside but its primary design is for keeping heat outside so it is not a true both directions reflective material.  Reflectix is also not the best insulation for cold weather. You need window blankets and unfortunately insulating blankets are not transparent. Unfortunately there is no win/win product that will give you what you are asking for. Triple pane windows help a lot but are very heavy and you would have to have them custom made. Double pane windows help too but the same situation, a custom job.

Making some clear vinyl storm windows to put inside of the van is a possible DIY solution that will help with slowing down heat loss but it won't completely prevent it.

There is a reason why full time van dwellers head south for the winter and up in elevation or north for the summer. That reason is comfort and reduction of heating and cooling cost.

Thank you. This is the kind of idea I'm looking for. I'm thinking about installing a propex2800 in my next build. I don't want that draining th propane unnecessarily fast

Theiznezz said:
Thank you. This is the kind of idea I'm looking for. I'm thinking about installing a propex2800 in my next build. I don't want that draining th propane unnecessarily fast

The diesel heaters can be a good investment of your money. Just remember that you can do it now and then move it with you to the next build. Design the installation so it is easy to close the penetrations though the rig.

I seen they also have a heater that runs off gasoline and hooks up yo your fuel tank. I'll have to see where I'm at when I actually purchase my next van. I'm in the brainstorming stage right now. I really like the efficiency of the propex and low power draw. Considering I'm using reflectix for insulating the windows now, I think a combination of an added vinyl window, reflective window film, and thick insulating curtains might be the solution I'm looking for.

Theiznezz said:
I seen they also have a heater that runs off gasoline and hooks up yo your fuel tank. I'll have to see where I'm at when I actually purchase my next van. I'm in the brainstorming stage right now. I really like the efficiency of the propex and low power draw. Considering I'm using reflectix for insulating the windows now, I think a combination of an added vinyl window, reflective window film, and thick insulating curtains might be the solution I'm looking for.

This is not on the Reflectix topic but as it seems to have morphed a bit I will mention that I have this.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-5KW-Ai...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Basically it's an eBay Chinese knock off of the Planar and Webasto Diesel air heaters that are widely used in Europe. You can run them off your fuel tank if you have diesel or they have a little tank that comes with. 

There is a Facebook group where users share their experiences and hacks and so forth. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/146837062640024/

Overall the feedback is positive. These are the heaters of choice for conversions in Europe, but almost unheard of here.

Theiznezz said:
 . . . Cold winters and hot summers . . . I miss my windows and being able to look out and open them. Does any body have a better idea?

Like Maki2 said there are reflective films that can be applied to windows to reflect solar radiation to keep an interior cool.  The downside is the more light it reflects (how effective it is) the less is transmitted for you to 'see' (the darker it appears outside).

For winter, one option would be the plastic film that is sold in hardware & big box stores for homes with single pane windows.  Tape it around the window frame inside and shrink with a hairdryer.  It makes a tight, 'almost' transparent film that traps a dead air space inside the window.

You all realize that Reflectix is made out of the exact same stuff as sun shades people put in the front window of their cars in hot weather? Instead of buying Reflectix just go down to autozone and buy a sun shade for your van. It will be cheaper and it comes precut to your van model's window size.

I found sunshades to only come in three sizes. They are either too small to fill the windshield or too large and leave gaps where the folds are so trimming is still necessary. Even the biggest one for my van was too short top to bottom. Reflectix is easily cut for that custom fit and then becomes a press fit. The windshield is not the only piece of glass that needs covering either.

I painted my rear door windows (exterior side) with white plasticote paint on the exterior, filled the interior doors with polyiso and topped with 1/8" birch door panels. This eliminates the seeing through windows factor, but it is safer, stealthier, and definitely the way to insulate. The paint BTW, can be removed easily from the glass if you ever want to sell the van or return it to stock. It looks great on my white van and from 3' away you can't even tell that it is glass.

Latest posts