Anyone using WalMart Hart tools? Or looking for a tool set?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Todo

Reaction score
I was at WalMart today and checked out a Hart tool set in a tool box, it looked to be fairly decent, nice case and nice selection of sockets and pieces, including Torx.
Looks like a really good tool set for those with no tools, something to consider.
Sorry for plugging it, figured I'd pass it along, maybe they're junk, I don't know. I buy HD Husky brand personally, but if I had no tools I'd buy this set.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/HART-Multiple-Drive-215-Piece-Mechanics-Tool-Set-Chrome-Finish/414834441

Gotta watch those cheap tools. I can't remember what brand it was, but a socket wrench attachment I bought from Walmart actually broke when I was trying to remove the seats from my Kia.

Yeah, like I said, no experience first hand but looked like a nice "starter" set.
I like Husky from Home Depot, if/when they break I just take it into the store and get it replaced.
I've had my set, shoot I don't know when I bought them but at least 15 years ago, and only gone in 2 maybe 3 times for replacements.

I didn't know HD did that for anything. Is it just Husky brand or others as well?

I need to find some budget-wise but good battery operated power drill and jigsaw so I can work on my van (I have regular AC ones). Thinking maybe Harbor Freight (I try not to go there, because it's like a candy store tempting me to buy things I don't need).

Yes, just the Husky brand as it's their brand. From what I've experienced they do stand behind it well but honestly they've stood up very well over the years. I am my own mechanic and part time mechanic helping out friends & family here and there so they have been used a fair bit.

I've been looking for a circular saw on the cheap being once I'm done my van I really wont have a need for it after.
I found some good deals on older ones on CL, and HF does have offerings as well.

In fact, today or tomorrow I'm going to pick one of these up from HF, but it's corded.
https://www.harborfreight.com/4-12-in-58-amp-compact-circular-saw-56164.html

I'll be cutting plywood, flooring, and fiberglass to mount my ceiling/roof fan. If it wasn't for the fiberglass I'd use a regular sized circular saw.
I'm not climbing my big arse up on the roof, I'll lean a ladder against the side and reach over to cut out for it. I feel my odds of bettering success lay with this little guy, especially over a jigsaw which is what many people have used.

Walmart tools are usually poorly tempered junk from China. Sockets will split and spanner wrenches round out.

My track record with battery powered tools has been horrible.  I think they have better batteries now than they did in the prior century.  I got a cheap $26 inverter, 400 / 800 watt, from Harbor Freight.  It works fine with my corded electric drill and corded jig saw.  I never go to use an electric tool and find that it has a dead battery.  The same inverter also does fine with my 6 watt 120 volt electric shaver and all my 120 volt needs.

Harbor Freight sells a lot of junk also. For power tools I stick with Lowes or Home Depot. As my dad used to say about tools, "If you buy cheap stuff, you got cheap stuff.

It's been quite a while since I've bought anything there, due to location change. For a couple of bucks extra at purchase, they will replace on request if there is a problem, even if it's your own fault.  I sometimes use cheap rotary tools from HF to do things to glass, because the work tends to burn those tools out and I know HF will just give me new ones without questions, no wasting money on expensive ones that I would have to pay to replace. HF heat gun  I've used it to bend acrylic and pvc pipe, works fine. I lived near a HF when I bought my drill about 11 years ago, so that's probably where I go it. I have drilled a lot of holes in glass with it and it still works great. I haven't gotten any powered saws from HF, so I'm not sure about those. Mostly I get little stuff from there. They sell diamond coated rotary tool discs for glass super cheap - I've gone through an uncountable number of those things, which aren't even sold at the big hardware stores. The big hardware stores tend to not sell simple attachment pieces and accessory pieces, they want people to buy a whole new thing just to get a little part.

If you have time to look, pawn shops, 'over stock' resellers, garage sales, estate sales, Craig's list, et.al. will sometimes have quality tools for cheap.