Anyone use TPMS (TireMinder type system)?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 22017

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was reading a blog in which the author said the TPMS system he bought before his trip came in very handy.

I noticed that there are TPMS systems on sale for a fraction of the price of TireMinder. Anyone use them and can recommend a brand?

Newer vehicles come with them already installed, right? Just asking in case I decide to buy a travel trailer.

A TireMinder brand system at Amazon: https://a.co/d/hx4YkmV

I rather spend that $300 on new trailer tires instead. When traveling, I check my tires at every stop and that's good enough for me. I keep new tires on a trailer and never run them over 4 years old.

I've hauled many trailers & just like Camper always checked the tires & touched the hubs (center of the wheel) to make sure nothing gets hot. You might consider this tire monitor, many good reviews & under $60 with the 20% coupon

Tymate Tire Pressure Monitoring System - M7-3 TPMS Tire Pressure Monitor System with Solar Charger, TPMS w/ 5 Alarm Modes, LCD Display, Auto Sleep Mode, 4 TPMS Sensors, Easy to Install (0-87 PSI)

4.14.1 out of 5 stars (59% 5-star)
1K+ bought in past month
$75.99$75.99
Save 20% with coupon

I don’t think it’s a must have… but it’s a very good idea. An RV flat with tandem axels can be very damaging to the RV…
I was always the guy checking my tires and changing them out and still had a flat about twelve years ago on a camper. It was the right rear on the trailer which took out the winterizing drain spigots. Worst of all I had no idea it went flat… Also, I’m guessing one of the cords or belts poked a very small hole in the tire in front of that one. So, yeah… that system would pay for itself if you did a ton of miles with a loaded vehicle… on top of inspections and maintenance.

I don't do trailers. but was skeptical of the value of the TPMS systems on my late-model vehicles. Thought they were just one more silly finicky thing that could go wrong and need fixing.

Until one fine day in November 2021. Driving the interstate 100 miles from home in my Honda minivan, I saw the TPMS warning light pop on. I slowed the speed, made sure I was in the right-hand lane, and looked for the next exit. Before I could get there I heard a pop. Tire had blown. Got safely to the shoulder. The passenger side rear tire had blown. Those were almost-new good quality tires, I'd checked them regularly - but there was a tiny nasty bit of metal debris on the road that jabbed the tire fatally. I absolutely appreciate the warning that the TPMS system gave me, so that when the blowout happened I was already in the lane next to the shoulder/exits, had slowed the car's speed, and was alert to the situation.

(Fortunately the blowout happened on the outskirts of another city, where the tire chain I'd bought the tires from, has stores. After AAA got the donut spare mounted, I drove carefully to their store where they replaced the tire under warranty in a fairly short time.)

Edited to add: Obviously YMMV, that system may not be as useful for trailers.

I the last week TWO of my class C friends had blowouts and neither one of them had a TPMS. Thankfully neither one suffered damage. It is possible that both were sudden blowouts, but it is also as likely that the tire lost pressure slower and they could have had warnings.

I drive 20,000 lbs down the road, and I want any help I can get.

YMMV IANAL CPBCM

I rather spend that $300 on new trailer tires instead. When traveling, I check my tires at every stop and that's good enough for me. I keep new tires on a trailer and never run them over 4 years old.
and if you have a lightweight trailer that might be more affordable.. in a class C or A a set of tires is more like $300 a pc, so for the cost of one tire, a TPMS is a good thing.

Do you think it may have prevented any blowouts? Kept you safer overall?
Not having had a tire issue at this point, I can say that it has brought pc of mind.

Also... my inner two rear tires slowly lose air over time and it helps to remind me that I need to check and fill them.

It is possible that both were sudden blowouts, but it is also as likely that the tire lost pressure slower and they could have had warnings.
I agree. In the situation I posted above, it was a matter of just a few minutes - I think less than five! - between the light coming on and the blowout, but that was enough to make a difference for me. Whatever the tire picked up that ruined it, was so small that I never felt any kind of bump or shake when running over it. Even two or three minutes' warning can make a big difference when you're rolling along at highway speeds. I was better off when the tire blew at 60MPH, and I was alert to a problem, than if it had happened at 75MPH or more without any kind of warning.

I agree that a tire warning system would be good to have, but I would never pay close to $300 for one.

I agree that a tire warning system would be good to have, but I would never pay close to $300 for one.
The corollary is, what will it cost to repair the damage a tire blowing can cause to tanks, hoses, electrical wiring, house structures.... then there is the potential to losing control of the vehicle in some manner, potentially damaging someone else etc etc... in a sedan/van I do not think it is as critical as it would be for a towable or larger vehicle. This is my home, and want to protect it, myself and others.. :)

This is the unit I bought ( almost two years ago). $249

https://www.amazon.com/GUTA-Tire-Pr...locphy=9030291&hvtargid=pla-943684859679&th=1

I don't do trailers. but was skeptical of the value of the TPMS systems on my late-model vehicles. Thought they were just one more silly finicky thing that could go wrong and need fixing.

Until one fine day in November 2021. Driving the interstate 100 miles from home in my Honda minivan, I saw the TPMS warning light pop on. I slowed the speed, made sure I was in the right-hand lane, and looked for the next exit. Before I could get there I heard a pop. Tire had blown. Got safely to the shoulder. The passenger side rear tire had blown. Those were almost-new good quality tires, I'd checked them regularly - but there was a tiny nasty bit of metal debris on the road that jabbed the tire fatally. I absolutely appreciate the warning that the TPMS system gave me, so that when the blowout happened I was already in the lane next to the shoulder/exits, had slowed the car's speed, and was alert to the situation.

(Fortunately the blowout happened on the outskirts of another city, where the tire chain I'd bought the tires from, has stores. After AAA got the donut spare mounted, I drove carefully to their store where they replaced the tire under warranty in a fairly short time.)

Edited to add: Obviously YMMV, that system may not be as useful for trailers.
Not bad mouthing Hondas because I own 2 presently and more before. I personally and as a mechanic seen almost all of their TPMS systems broken and then the light on even on fairly new cars. It's kinda a joke among Honda owners asking if their light is on.

To be fair I've worked on about every make and only buy Honda or Toyota cars.

. I personally and as a mechanic seen almost all of their TPMS systems broken and then the light on even on fairly new cars. It's kinda a joke among Honda owners asking if their light is on.
Can you say more about this? Is the system unreliable in general? just tends to break down easily? How much should I trust it, when it seems to be working?

I recently had my TPMS light (the light for the monitoring system, not the tire pressure light) act weird, and the very patient mechanic said no it was actually the tire pressure that set it off. I kept saying "no, no, it's the other light" and we had this whole "who's on first" type conversation during which, I give him credit, he never talked down to me.

But I still don't understand why the "TPMS" light went off instead of the "{!}" light (the actual tire-pressure light).

Now I wonder if I should worry about this more than I have been.

/signed/ another Honda and Toyota fan

I don't pull a trailer either.......but all the vehicles I have purchased for awhile have had such systems installed. My new used van has the sensor and is driving me nuts. The light will come on.........stay on for a while......and then go off. I check the pressure and all seems Ok, so I am thinking it's a faulty sensor. They are good to have and if you can get one for your pulled trailer, it sounds like a good idea.

Can you say more about this? Is the system unreliable in general? just tends to break down easily? How much should I trust it, when it seems to be working?

I recently had my TPMS light (the light for the monitoring system, not the tire pressure light) act weird, and the very patient mechanic said no it was actually the tire pressure that set it off. I kept saying "no, no, it's the other light" and we had this whole "who's on first" type conversation during which, I give him credit, he never talked down to me.

But I still don't understand why the "TPMS" light went off instead of the "{!}" light (the actual tire-pressure light).

Now I wonder if I should worry about this more than I have been.

/signed/ another Honda and Toyota fan
I may have not been clear in my original post. In the situation I described it was the tire pressure warning light that lit up, not the "TPMS" system error light. I don't know about the problems the other person has mentioned.

My system worked okay, except when I had some third party wheels installed and I think the tire store didn't make sure the sensors were properly set up and the TPMS system light came on. When I had the OEM wheels on the vehicle, the TPMS system was fine.

On my E450 my factory TPMS will lose the signal and will ding on my dash, after a few miles it will reset itself and all good. After checking on forums it appears to be that the RF signal gets interrupted by another RF signal and looses connectivity. I also have aftermarket TPMS on my jeep for when I have it in toe. I took it off trailers I have had. With my trailers it alerted me a few seconds after a tire would explode. What I really liked was it tells u the temp of each tire which if one is considerably hotter on your trailer it could be a bad wheel bearing. Best wishes